Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bhang

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
ok now I have absolutely nothing ! I'm an idiot !
I at least had it working with a DVI-vga now even that won't work. I installed the kext and driver from here ... http://www.groths.org/?p=431

I heard that I should have been fine with 10.6.8 but I wasn't. Now I really botched things and don't know what to do. :eek:

Help ... please !:confused:

Bhang

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
XFX 6870 dual fan - in MP 1.1

OK .. things are getting better, but still not 100%. ... or is it that the information I have in incomplete or just wrong? I re-installed the 10.6.8 update and everything seems to be back the way it was originally.

What's working & not working for me.

DVI-DVI does not work on either port no matter what with just one monitor. I can get it to show up as a secondary monitor but it works sporadically at best, and if I reboot it disappears again. Trying to get it to show up after rebooting is a complete pain and I don't know what causes it to all of the sudden start working.
DVI- VGA works
MDP - VGA active works fine. No issues
MDP - DVI - passive ( i know I should use an active one). Works, but only if MDP is plugged in after booting up.

I'm just stumped as to why neither DVI works properly :-(

- My main monitor (DVI) is a 24 inch regular DVI-D not dual-link.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
A follow up!

Ok, I finally got everything working for me over here.

Regarding getting registered on netkas's forums? I still have no clue why it refused to send the activation email to my primary email address (an old Southwestern Bell email; @swbell.net account). I told it to resend at least 5 times and nothing, not even in their junk folder. So I finally tried again with an alternate gmail address of mine, and that one worked!

Once I got over THAT hurdle, I browsed the site until I found a post from someone else with a 1GB XFX branded 6870 card, purchased around the same time-frame as mine, who uploaded a modified BIOS with EFI already added to it. I downloaded that one and took a chance flashing my card with it. Success! (I know they kept warning people not to do it this way, since each BIOS might have different little changes in it for the particular components used on different cards. But I had zero luck getting any utilities to merge the EFI code I downloaded in with the dumps I made of my card's original BIOS -- so this was my last resort.)

I'm only using 1 display via DVI connector on the bottom DVI port of the card, but I get an OS X boot screen, Apple DVD Player launches fine, Steam games play fine, etc. I'm happy!

Thanks for the info, MacVidCards. That's helpful to know ....

I still have a few questions though.

1. Why was DVD Player still crashing on me when I tried to use the 6870 card with Lion 10.7.2 without any modifications? Is that something that worked with 10.7.1 and then broke with the .2 update and is not yet fixed/fixable?

2. I tried to go to netkas's site last night and download his EFI firmware to paste in, but found the file attachments on the forum didn't seem to be accessible unless I was a registered user there. Well, I tried to register and the site would never send me the activation email (even checked my spam folders)!

Bhang

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
6870 & MP 1.1 agony - please help

C-mon guys? Anyone ? No one reading this that knows how I might troubleshoot this? This is driving me nuts!
I can not get this card working worth a crap on my Mac Pro.

I'll eventually get it working, but after doing a bunch of random stuff, like changing screen resolution, turning off main monitor ( the second monitor with VGA always pops on as a main monitor since it never finds the main DVI monitor) rebooting etc. before clicking on " detect displays" eventually for some unknown reason finds my main monitor and switches the VGA one to 2nd monitor. The problem is that as soon as I reboot I have to start over again. Tried 2 different DVI cables, 2 different MDP-DVI including the new Apple one I just bought. Tried all ports with all variations.

I'm trying to give as much information as possible. If you need more to help just say so. I just really could use some help.

Bhang

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
OK ... I think maybe the reason no one replies is that everyone is scratching their heads ... no?

Well ... This is a peculiar one for me. I grabbed another monitor that has a working DVI and tested it. Works fantastic. Swapped the DVI on my main monitor and used a MD to VGA instead and instantly everything works. The odd part is that I never once had a problem with this monitor using my 7300GT. The monitor I have is an Acer X243HQ. I don't know if the DVI just failed or if there is some sort of compatibility issue going on here. I'm glad that the card appears to work right, but I have never experienced a monitor incompatibility.
If anyone else has ever had an issue like this it would be nice to know what caused it ... if you know.
OK ... I'll stop hogging this and other threads. -
Bhang

Last edited:

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
re: display issues

Honestly, this sounds to me like an issue with the signal being just slightly "out of spec" in some way? I used to have this problem a lot with the old Mac Mini G4. If you used the DVI output on the back of it, some monitors would just display a black screen or give some kind of "signal out of range" type of message. By using a DVI to VGA adapter on it though, you could get it to work fine. The weird thing with the Mini was, the only time DVI worked right on it for me was with really OLD LCD monitors I owned, like an older Samsung 21" I had that wasn't "wide screen" aspect ratio, and let you swivel it between "portrait" and "landscape" positions.

Really, it may not even have anything to do with reflashing your card for the Mac at all? To be sure, you'd have to try that same monitor that gave you problems with DVI on a non-flashed card in a regular Windows PC, and see what happened.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, personally. If you can make it work with a different monitor or via DVI to VGA, just do that and call it a day.

OK ... I think maybe the reason no one replies is that everyone is scratching their heads ... no?

Well ... This is a peculiar one for me. I grabbed another monitor that has a working DVI and tested it. Works fantastic. Swapped the DVI on my main monitor and used a MD to VGA instead and instantly everything works. The odd part is that I never once had a problem with this monitor using my 7300GT. The monitor I have is an Acer X243HQ. I don't know if the DVI just failed or if there is some sort of compatibility issue going on here. I'm glad that the card appears to work right, but I have never experienced a monitor incompatibility.
If anyone else has ever had an issue like this it would be nice to know what caused it ... if you know.
OK ... I'll stop hogging this and other threads. -
Bhang

Bhang

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Thanks for the info Kingtj

Oddly enough the one that isn't working with DVI is a wide screen and the other is not. the working one is also an older LCD. ?? I was hoping it was something else. Using the VGA looks pretty bad. All the text is fuzzy. Is there another possible way around this? I was hoping it would be as simple as using a better cable, but that probably isn't the case. - I guess no one else is having any problems with they're wide screen LCD's using a 6870?

by the way Kingtj , which mac pro do you have?

Thanks for your help.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
re: video problems

I have a 2008 Mac Pro I'm using this 6870 in. It's the "octo-core" 2.8Ghz model (2 quad core 2.8Ghz Xeon processors).

I see someone else just replied here about your problem with another suggestion that sounds like a good one to me. I clicked the link he provided and it isn't working but it probably points you in the right direction.

Thanks for the info Kingtj

Oddly enough the one that isn't working with DVI is a wide screen and the other is not. the working one is also an older LCD. ?? I was hoping it was something else. Using the VGA looks pretty bad. All the text is fuzzy. Is there another possible way around this? I was hoping it would be as simple as using a better cable, but that probably isn't the case. - I guess no one else is having any problems with they're wide screen LCD's using a 6870?

by the way Kingtj , which mac pro do you have?

Thanks for your help.

Bhang

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Thanks for the link and answers,

However ... ??? ummm .... I will give it a shot, :confused: but it is very confusing to me. The only thing in the whole post I know anything about is Terminal. Well ... here goes.
I take it I would have to repeat these steps for each install of 10.6.8 I use? Oh man . I really appreciate the help guys. I'm just a bit disappointed that its this much work for something that was so simple for almost everyone else here.

This may be a stupid question, but would this be an issue regardless of video card being used? This monitor works flawless with the 7300GT card.

Thanks again, wish me luck and I hope I don't blow up the neighborhood.:D

Last edited:

Bhang

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Hello ActionableMango - Thanks for the help
I'm following the instructions on the link you posted as best I can. I am, however, stuck at adding the EDID info into the file to which I added .plist. I have plisteditor pro but do not know where to add the information.

one more thing - He makes it sound like the information that I'm supposed to copy is quite large ( having to expand the terminal window and all) , but this is all I found.
"IODisplayEDID" = <00ffffffffffff000472ac0051850001$

Thanks

Last edited:

Bhang

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Hello again,
I have tried the EDID thing and it didn't work for me. I think the main reason is that when my monitor works it works perfectly. I never get off resolution or any artifacts. This fact makes it sound more like the Dual Link issue as described here.
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=71784&st=720&p=1362685&#entry1362685

The problem is that this link is referring to a laptop with a specific videocard. I'm using a MP with a 6870. Any ideas on how I can apply this patch to my set up?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Hello again,
I have tried the EDID thing and it didn't work for me. I think the main reason is that when my monitor works it works perfectly. I never get off resolution or any artifacts. This fact makes it sound more like the Dual Link issue as described here.
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=71784&st=720&p=1362685&#entry1362685

The problem is that this link is referring to a laptop with a specific videocard. I'm using a MP with a 6870. Any ideas on how I can apply this patch to my set up?

The best explanation I've seen for EDID issues is here:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=208410

Note that I'm not certain you have an EDID problem, but the symptoms largely match.

Bhang

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
The best explanation I've seen for EDID issues is here:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=208410

Note that I'm not certain you have an EDID problem, but the symptoms largely match.
Thanks, I actually went through that whole thing. My problem is more like the dual link issue since I never get a stretched screen or any other issues. It just isn't recognized most of the time. I tried doing the EDID thing and it didn't appear to do anything.
I'm wondering if I do HDMI - DVI if that will work. I hear that its passive. Anyone try their HDMI with a DVI widescreen monitor?

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Single-link DVI supports up to 1920x1200, so I don't really understand that thread you linked to. Everyone there seems to think that dual-link is required for above 1280x800 resolutions.

You might find better help posting on netkas or insanelymac directly.

Bhang

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Thanks I'll do that. I thought that sounded off too. I don't think the 7300GT have dual link at all and this display worked perfectly with it.

Bhang

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
6870 and Mac Pro 1.1 works !!!!

My oh my. Thank you so much ActionableMango, & Cindori,

Its the damn monitor ! I can't believe it. I have never had this sort of thing happen, but I went and grabbed me another 1920x1080 monitor and it works every time w/o a problem.

Me so Happy !!!!! :D

So anyone who has been following my frustration on this forum - The XFX 6870 ZDFC Double Dispersion card works exactly as described by cindori in my MP 1.1. No bootscreen ( no biggie). I don't play games on this machine nor do I watch DVD's so the other limitations are moot to me.

Thanks again everybody !!!!! I can get to work again !!!! YAY :p :apple:

MoTo77

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2007
Question About Install in Mac Pro 1,1

Can someone tell me (or point me to instructions) on how to make the connections for this card (Sapphire HD6870) on a Mac Pro 1.1?

It looks like I need to make TWO power connections to the motherboard.

Can I use the same power cable that I disconnected from the original card?

There is a second power connector on the motherboard that is next to the one that powered the original card. Am I supposed to buy a second cable that fits that connector?

**OR**

Am I supposed to use the two cables that came with the card and make direct connections to the power supply?

If so, is there a tear down guide so that I can figure out how to get this thing apart?

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
It looks like I need to make TWO power connections to the motherboard.
Yes.

Can I use the same power cable that I disconnected from the original card?
Yes.

There is a second power connector on the motherboard that is next to the one that powered the original card. Am I supposed to buy a second cable that fits that connector?
Yes.

Be careful, though - Apple used a slightly smaller connector on the motherboard, so the standard adapter cables for PC's don't fit. Dealers might offer you a "cable for the X1900 graphic card", sometimes "intended for the PowerMac G5". Don't worry - the power connectors have been staying the same even on modern cards (provided we talk of 6-pin connectors, not 8-pin). You can also find suitable offerings on the auction site.

**OR**

Am I supposed to use the two cables that came with the card and make direct connections to the power supply?
No.

You won't find a possibility to connect those as the MacPro - unless a standard PC PSU in a standard DIY tower - does not provide "free" connectors for those cables.

If so, is there a tear down guide so that I can figure out how to get this thing apart?
Yes.

Search the forum for CPU upgrades on the MP 1,1 (x5355 or x5365) - they have all the information you need (even walk-through videos). The connectors you want/need to access are behing the front-fan installation, which (iirc) unfortunately require you to get out the Ram trays, open the ram cage screws and remove the plastic cover over the CPU's. Then it's only one more screw holding the front fan assembly in place (plus you need to apply some force to get it out). Should be described in detail in the CPU upgrade threads.

If you had been pondering doing such a CPU upgrade anyway, now would be a good time to consider again (while you're at it ;)

Oh yes btw: You can in theory also plug in the cable (without removing the front fan assembly) with a small plier (ideally with slightly bent tips) and a good mixture of patience and dexterity... ;) - make sure though that the connector really clicks into place!

Last edited:

Quaam

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2012
los angeles
Which 6870 would be best

i'm considering one for my Mac Pro 1,1

After doing a couple of searches, I've notice different 6870's like Powercolor, XFX, Diamond, MSI, Saphire, etc. And they all vary alot in prices.

Any particular one that stands out among the others?

Thanks in advance!

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
XFX has a 2GB model that stands out by being the only 6870 with 2GB.

Every week or two I think about buying it, but I want to see what Apple does with 7000 series pricing first.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
Higher priced cards claim e.g. higher quality components suitable for overclocking. Or a better cooling solution that is less noisy than on the "cheap" cards (that was the reason for my choice of the Gigabyte card with three fans).

Most people would probably recommend the card they're using themselves for one reason or the other. Generally spoken the "hacking pioneers" prefer the cheapest cards to test things out, so XFX and Sapphire are probably among the most compatible ones.

I seem to vaguely remember some problem reports with 2GB cards being recognized as 1GB only, though I don't know anymore whether that was just a "cosmetic" (read: display) problem or if the 2nd GB was indeed missing - and perhaps this issue has already been solved. Check the forums over at Netkas.org for details if in doubt.

Quaam

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2012
los angeles
XFX has a 2GB model that stands out by being the only 6870 with 2GB.

Every week or two I think about buying it, but I want to see what Apple does with 7000 series pricing first.
Thanks!
Higher priced cards claim e.g. higher quality components suitable for overclocking. Or a better cooling solution that is less noisy than on the "cheap" cards (that was the reason for my choice of the Gigabyte card with three fans).

Most people would probably recommend the card they're using themselves for one reason or the other. Generally spoken the "hacking pioneers" prefer the cheapest cards to test things out, so XFX and Sapphire are probably among the most compatible ones.

I seem to vaguely remember some problem reports with 2GB cards being recognized as 1GB only, though I don't know anymore whether that was just a "cosmetic" (read: display) problem or if the 2nd GB was indeed missing - and perhaps this issue has already been solved. Check the forums over at Netkas.org for details if in doubt.
Thanks for the info. All valid points to consider. I'll keep researching before buying!

jimtron

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2008
need help with XFX 6870 and MP 1,1

Update: just watched this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC-Rzl_bRhU so I need 2 power cables, right? Shoot, I'll have to order another one, I was hoping I could get to work on an editing project today.

I just put an XFX 6870 in my Mac Pro 1,1 and it's getting power (the fan's turning) but no video. I don't have experience with graphics cards, so I could use a little help.

I got the cable that was linked to earlier in the thread, from SVideo. It fits, and is connected. Do I need 2 of these or just 1? I pulled the original card, which had no cables.

Any ideas on why it's not working?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.