Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heghead

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Australia
New version "Listening To" is now available ON THE APPSTORE!!
https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/listening-to/id553010133?mt=12

Or if you'd prefer, here's the old version:

Hi everyone! I've developed an app which I'd like to share with everyone. :)

It's called "NowPlaying". NowPlaying is an app which enables iTunes and Spotify track change notifications in Mountain Lion's notification center. What's even better is that it is tiny (it uses hardly any CPU and less than 8MB ram!).

In this most recent update I have also added 8 new languages (Spanish, Dutch, Turkish, Hungarian, Czech, French. Russian and Polish) these translations were done using google translate (lol!!) so if anyone sees any errors let me know on this thread and I'll correct them with the next update :)

AppStore Version
Renamed to "Listening To" for copyright reasons...
https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/listening-to/id553010133?mt=12

Old MediaFire Version
http://www.mediafire.com/?9h01wlo18ptly

I released the first 3 versions of NowPlaying in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1417924/
Thanks to everyone there for their contributions and bug finding skills :)

Here is a screenshot:

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 14,242
Last edited:

kennco

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2010
Germany
Maybe but it would just piss me off, surely you know the song name, and if you dont, you can go and check?
Not very open minded.

I listen to Radio Streams a lot. So I love this little App. It shows the Artist and Titel of a Track I didn't know.

So thanks again heghead for your passionate work, every update and sharing it with us. ;)

Mark-Technology

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2011
Do people really want their music to pester them like that?

Don't know why, but it seems like there is an angry little man inside you. If you don't like the app, then don't comment on the thread. Do you do this on every single thread on this forum? Just barge in and post whatever you feel like? Stay away from things that don't interest you.

I love this app and thank you so much for your hard work. I would love to donate if possible, I think most of us would for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple introduces more branches for the notification center. It should have already been able to use iTunes and maybe even 3rd party apps that use Growl. I think there should be something released in 10.8.1 that picks up Growl notification signals and makes them notifications through notification center. It isn't much to ask and was the minimum I was already expecting from Mountain Lion.

Thanks again!

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Maybe but it would just piss me off, surely you know the song name, and if you dont, you can go and check?

It's easier to swipe to open NC to check the name of the song than to switch to iTunes.

----------

It's called "NowPlaying". NowPlaying is an app which enables iTunes and Spotify track change notifications in Mountain Lion's notification center. What's even better is that it is tiny (it uses hardly any CPU and less than 8MB ram!).

In this most recent update I have also added 8 new languages (Spanish, Dutch, Turkish, Hungarian, Czech, French. Russian and Polish) these translations were done using google translate (lol!!) so if anyone sees any errors let me know on this thread and I'll correct them with the next update :)

Download it now and let me know what you think!!

I released the first 3 versions of NowPlaying in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1417924/

Here is a screenshot:

Thanks a lot, man. This app is great! I've used it since you first uploaded it :)

hotzeeee

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2012
hey, nice app!
i'm from german and i would like to help you to translate nowplaying into german. if you are interested contact me :)

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
Perfect, been looking for something like this ever since the iTunes dock notifications popup stopped working in ML.

Would be nice if it had a custom icon... something other than the iTunes logo.
EDIT: Would also be cool if the notification didn't pop up when iTunes is the topmost app (i.e. when you're using iTunes)

Last edited:

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Downloaded this yesterday from the other thread and it's fantastic!!!

Perfect for listening to iTunes and not having the window up while doing other things. The notification pops up and flys out just long enough to see what is playing.

Love this app!

sandyjmacdonald

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Just installed the latest version. Fantastic.

One minor suggestion. When I tried to copy the new version into my Applications folder and told it to replace the old version, it wouldn't let me because the old one was still running. I just opened the Activity Monitor and killed the process before replacing it, but it would be nice if you could prompt the user to ask them if they want to quit the old version when trying to replace it. An alternative would be to have a small menubar icon that would allow you to access preferences, quit, etc.

Keep up the good work.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
This is one of the last reasons I am keeping the app Bowtie/Growl.

Does this allow for a hotkey to change to the next or previous songs and pause music? Lastfm support? I need before!

JeroenJK

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2012
Yesterday I installed the current version, and I just installed the new version with Spotify Notifications. It works great!

And "charlieegan3", please go away here. Make something better... Oh wait... You can't. :/

I really appreciate his work, and you could never do better, charlie!

----------

@Xavier Of course it accepts hotkeys to change the song etc. The App iTunes/Spotify isn't changed, and the keys will still work. This App just shows what song it is playing, it doesn't change any keys!

Brad9893

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2010
Hiding Under the Genius Bar
I have Hiss which sends Growl notifications to the NC. Spotify has Growl support, and now that I have this app I would like to turn it off so that I don't get two notifications every time a song plays. Does anyone know how to turn off Growl on Spotify? I looked through settings and preferences and can't find anything.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Great app, but I don't really see the point for me. If you want to check your song, you can just right click on your iTunes/Spotify dock icon, and you'll get the track title along with the artist (Spotify) or the artist and album (iTunes). Plus, you also have controls present as well.

Just my $0.02.

sandyjmacdonald

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Great app, but I don't really see the point for me. If you want to check your song, you can just right click on your iTunes/Spotify dock icon, and you'll get the track title along with the artist (Spotify) or the artist and album (iTunes). Plus, you also have controls present as well.

Just my $0.02.

I think the point is that it notifies you when the track changes, saving you from having to do any work to find out what track has just come on. No?

And if you want to check what song is playing it's less work as well. Just swipe with two fingers on the trackpad, rather than move pointer to dock icon, right click, then click off.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Does this thing pull in Album Art from iTunes for the alerts that fade out? If you could make that happen that would be awesome! Wouldn't want anything else showing on that though to keep it minimal.

Then in notification center I would like to be able to change the rating of the song. That would just make this perfect.

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
I love this app. It's really useful if you have a lot of songs when you're listening to iTunes on shuffle.

Does this thing pull in Album Art from iTunes? If you could make that happen that would be awesome!

I PMed with heghead about this and unfortunately it's not possible with notification center's limitations.

The Notification Center always uses the application’s own icon, there’s currently no way to specify a custom icon for a notification.

Source

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I love this app. It's really useful if you have a lot of songs when you're listening to iTunes on shuffle.

I PMed with heghead about this and unfortunately it's not possible with notification center's limitations.

Source

I thought it was just pulling in data from iTunes? So instead of trying to change the icon would it be possible to do the Album Art like the other metadata is currently done and have it displayed in addition to the current icon?

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
I thought it was just pulling in data from iTunes? So instead of trying to change the icon would it be possible to do the Album Art like the other metadata is currently done and have it displayed in addition to the current icon?

I'm not exactly sure about doing it this way. I don't think it would work because I'm pretty sure it has to be text but I could very well be wrong.

However, I know when you receive a message of an image in the Messages app, the notification says "Attachment: 1 Image" instead of actually displaying the image.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

Download it now and let me know what you think!!

Here is a screenshot:

That's awesome! Good work

Brad9893

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2010
Hiding Under the Genius Bar
Whenever playing a song whose title begins with a ( the app doesn't display the song title at all. It removes the entire title and just puts "Terminal" in its place. Does anyone else have this problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.