Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonze

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2010
Nottingham, UK
I have a LAN session coming up at work for this game. Usually for a LAN session I have to put a copy of windows on my macbook. Will I be able to run the mac version and the others run a windows version?

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I know, seriously! This is why I like Nintendo so much. I dislike violent shooting games not because they're inappropriate for little kids but because they're so dull, brainless, and boring. Paper Mario and Windwaker for GameCube, on the other hand, have enough action, plenty of thinking/puzzles, and are really exciting and rewarding. And Super Smash Bros Melee is one of the most strategy-based fighting games ever. Too bad there's the Wii with its nice hardware but suckish games instead of a GameCube II. Nintendo knew how to make great games with relatively bad graphics on weak hardware, the GameCube.

Thats a sweeping generalization, you stated that like it was a fact. I personally find a lot of them to be gripping and entertaining, especially the likes of Battlefield 3. I also play the DayZ Zombie mod for Armoured Assault 2, don't lump all first person war games together like they're all the same.

buckyballs

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2006
50-70fps on 16:10 on 1680x1050 resolution which is kinda bad performance and badly ported game to MAC from WIN

Overview of the game:

-half made (they just switched beta to t he final)

Firstly, that's not bad performance. I'm going to guess that you've got a MacBook Air plugged into a monitor. The HD4000 is not a hugely capable graphics card. There's where your so called 'performance issues' lie. If you had a badly ported game, you'd know it. It would crash, run at a lower framerate than the hardware is capable of (which it isn't). The Source engine is without doubt one of the best-ported engines there is.

Secondly, I don't think you have a clue how beta testing works.

Thirdly, just because they didn't add stuff that you personally wanted, doesn't make it a bad game.

jurcek86

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Firstly, that's not bad performance. I'm going to guess that you've got a MacBook Air plugged into a monitor. The HD4000 is not a hugely capable graphics card. There's where your so called 'performance issues' lie. If you had a badly ported game, you'd know it. It would crash, run at a lower framerate than the hardware is capable of (which it isn't). The Source engine is without doubt one of the best-ported engines there is.

Secondly, I don't think you have a clue how beta testing works.

Thirdly, just because they didn't add stuff that you personally wanted, doesn't make it a bad game.
1. This is bad performance because i achieve better one on 6yo windows machine with worst configuraction up to 250fps.
I know HD4000 is not bad at all and not awesome for gaming but squishing more then 60avg fps is just not enough for that GPU. It is rowing at lower framerate than my hardware is capable of.
2. I think i was in more betas then u will ever be and beeing a developer for at least a decade got me feeling what is bad port between win and mac OS.
3. Where i wrote that game is bad?

I know its source engine from 04 but still this is 2012 game...

karlwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2008
This is awesome! Im incredibly excited for this game, brings back so many memories.

Though I have to say, my 2009 MBP will probably not run this. I guess I'll have to buy bite the bullet and buy a gaming PC for CS GO, BF3 and SCII :D

Sensation

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2012
This is awesome! Im incredibly excited for this game, brings back so many memories.

Though I have to say, my 2009 MBP will probably not run this. I guess I'll have to buy bite the bullet and buy a gaming PC for CS GO, BF3 and SCII :D

Get sli 680s like me :D
Max Payne 3 at max settings always over 60fps is so good, then you get crap console ports which stutter even on my pc. Makes me sad :(

Winckle

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
I have a LAN session coming up at work for this game. Usually for a LAN session I have to put a copy of windows on my macbook. Will I be able to run the mac version and the others run a windows version?

The game has win/mac cross platform multiplayer, you should be fine.

alvindarkness

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2009
1. This is bad performance because i achieve better one on 6yo windows machine with worst configuraction up to 250fps.
I know HD4000 is not bad at all and not awesome for gaming but squishing more then 60avg fps is just not enough for that GPU. It is rowing at lower framerate than my hardware is capable of.
2. I think i was in more betas then u will ever be and beeing a developer for at least a decade got me feeling what is bad port between win and mac OS.

Regarding points 1 and 2. Have you done a comparison by running CS:GO on a bootcamp partition on the same machine? I know there are still confounding variables, such as the performance of windows HD4000 drivers (which I'm guessing would be better than mac's by a mile), but it would be interesting to see what result you get.

arashb

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2009

Either you or your computer is broken.

The game is NOT a port from Windows, and it runs the exact same between Windows and Mac.. This is actually why I deleted my Windows partition.

I would love to see a game you've developed, please share with us.

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
UK
how does steam run on OSX now? i installed it when they gave TF2 away for free and i must say it was a dreadful experience, it took up so much disk space (with games).. it was slow, crashed often and took forever to download a game..

also how will this run on a retina?

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Not a troll. My 2011 17-inch macbook pro can barely run lowest settings TF2, a game which was released 5-years-ago.

How about you get your MacBook seen to by Apple. It's pretty obviously not supposed to be that bad. My 13" 2011 ran TF2 fine with lowish settings.

Unless by "can barely run" you mean "IT'S ONLY PUMPIN' OUT 113 FPS, I NEED AT LEAST 240!!"

World Citizen

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
So CS is ruined... I am playing a fancy COD type game with CS maps... but this isn't CS by a long shot anymore.

Where is the simplicity? Where is the simpleness ?

It's ruined. They should have never even thought about graphics.. They should have kept it clean and simple... But no.. We need graphics, we need loads of **** laying around in every map, we need a moving camera when having recoil.
We need some fancy crossair, we need to change the whole buying system AGAIN!, we need to change the outfits...

PLEASE! CS is NOT about graphics and complexity...

VALVE get your **** together an give me my CSgoLite version pleas!

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Am I the only one that finds very little interest in playing games on a computer? Don't get me wrong, I like my PS3 and everything. I just never enjoy sitting at my computer playing games. Unless it's something like Minecraft that could really only be played on a computer.

Probably because you are getting old ;)

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
Why this is homepage material?

The mind boggles.

Ah, feel free to no patronize this website then if it's not living up to your journalistic standards as to what headlines make the front page and which don't.

Seriously, vote with your absence! Make your concerns be known by never coming back here! They loss in revenue from their ads will hit them in the pocket-book, and show that you're not a person to be trifled with.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Be that as it may, it's of interest only to Mac Gamers, and not a rumor, and so aught to go into the Mac Blog. Just my two cents on that matter.

By that logic every single iPhone related post should be moved to the iOS blog as they may be deemed of interest only to iPhone owners.

It's a significant piece of news. Just because it doesn't interest you, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be on the homepage.

Given the scope of the sales of it's predecessors, this IS a significant news post that DOES deserve to be on the homepage. I say this as someone who rarely plays a game on a Mac.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
So CS is ruined... I am playing a fancy COD type game with CS maps... but this isn't CS by a long shot anymore.

Where is the simplicity? Where is the simpleness ?

It's ruined. They should have never even thought about graphics.. They should have kept it clean and simple... But no.. We need graphics, we need loads of **** laying around in every map, we need a moving camera when having recoil.
We need some fancy crossair, we need to change the whole buying system AGAIN!, we need to change the outfits...

PLEASE! CS is NOT about graphics and complexity...

VALVE get your **** together an give me my CSgoLite version pleas!

haha. GO is clearly more tailored to the casual gamer, so it is a nice change up from typical CS. If you want competitive play stick to CS or CSS :)

Boston007

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Why front page

To you haters complaining why this is front page material.

1. Apple never used to be able to run games, PERIOD.

2. This is one of the most popular selling games. Having it come to MAC is big news.

3. Take your stupid iPhone 4s and iPhone 5 schematic difference stories and shove it. If I can sit through all those stories you can accept this story.

4. Have a martini and relax

Alfuh

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2009
I plunked down my $15, WELL worth it for me

This is the first game I ever bought through Steam ... CS was THE game that I played back in the day. I used to have an install of 1.3 to play on specialized servers and then the current install for competitive play

I loaded it up and got a few rounds of de_dust under my belt ...

"Rush the bomb!"

Brings back memories!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.