Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bilalo

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2012
Oxford, England
I use Flex:player, does everything the same, plays all files up to 720p ofcourse since Iphone and so on cant play more, and its perfect for me :D Never had an issue, I used to have some, but all is fixed now and perfect :D Swiping up and left and right and 2-3-4 fingers all have their roles, however i only swipe up for subtitles and maybe 2 fingers for audio/video sync which I used once only :D

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
It turns out that OPlayer HD does the best job of playing back 720p and 1080i mpeg2 files, out of the few players I tested. No stuttering and no skips or pauses -- even with the 1080i files. That was with local files, however. None of the players I tested did a good job playing files over the network. I can stream the files fine on my Mac and PC, but there is constant pausing and stuttering on the iPad. Note that this isn't the case when streaming live tv using the InstaTV beta I mentioned above.

At least I know OPlayer HD works with local mpeg2 HD files.

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
I just wanted to add that eXPlayer seems to do the best job streaming video files from an smb share. The only problem is that the audio is a few seconds out of sync with the video. Video playback seems pretty smooth, though. So close.... :p

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
It turns out that OPlayer HD does the best job of playing back 720p and 1080i mpeg2 files, out of the few players I tested. No stuttering and no skips or pauses -- even with the 1080i files. That was with local files, however. None of the players I tested did a good job playing files over the network. I can stream the files fine on my Mac and PC, but there is constant pausing and stuttering on the iPad. Note that this isn't the case when streaming live tv using the InstaTV beta I mentioned above.

At least I know OPlayer HD works with local mpeg2 HD files.

Thanks! I've re-tested my standard 1080i mpeg2 test file at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13100693/ht...ayers/1080i2ChannelAudioMPEG2DVBWithCC.ts.zip . Indeed it is definitely faster now than AVPlayerHD, while delivering the same rendering quality. Nice find!

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Thanks! I've re-tested my standard 1080i mpeg2 test file at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13100693/ht...ayers/1080i2ChannelAudioMPEG2DVBWithCC.ts.zip . Indeed it is definitely faster now than AVPlayerHD, while delivering the same rendering quality. Nice find!

Thanks. I just wish its SAMBA streaming worked as well as eXPlayer. It's a shame that there is no player that combines good SAMBA streaming with good Mpeg2-ts playback -- at least none that I've tried so far. I would buy it at any (reasonable) price ;)

hakujin1

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2012
folks, im having a problem with the latest goodplayer. for some reason, all 16:9 vid content is coming through tv out (hdmi) with some slight letter boxing; that is to say i have small bars on sides of picture unless i stretch via tv versus the preferred dot to dot (1:1) @1080p. i tested this with oplayer hd and the problem is not present.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Thanks.
Please check the following settings:
1 TV-Out resolution : set it to the best fit one, if you do not know the exact resolution of the TV, set it to "Maximum Resolution"
2 Aspect Ratio: set it to Default

folks, im having a problem with the latest goodplayer. for some reason, all 16:9 vid content is coming through tv out (hdmi) with some slight letter boxing; that is to say i have small bars on sides of picture unless i stretch via tv versus the preferred dot to dot (1:1) @1080p. i tested this with oplayer hd and the problem is not present.

smoflo

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2012
Just bought it

Thank you to all who have posted in this thread and the powerplayer thread, you've been of immense help! - I've spent hours looking for a video app and am very happy with the performance of goodplayer, especially HD stuff.

Sent an email over to powerplayer@hustmobile.com for a promocode for powerplayer and got a response back with the code within an hour so very happy about that too.

Even though I have just bought the app and played with it for a very short time, I do have a couple of improvement suggestions:

1. I have not found personally on video players in general that I'm changing the audio or subtitles track very often which I think are the two 'gesture controlled' options from within in the player (swipe vertically&horizontally). I have however found myself (when travelling) needing to change brightness and volume quite regularly. I don't even know if it's possible and I (and there must be others out there as well) would find this being used more often than the audio track/subs options.

2. The Apple video player has a feature of being able to slow down the video scrolling by dragging your finger down the screen for smaller timeframes (I haven't explained this very well but hopefully you understand). This would be a very useful feature for me as I'm often dipping into films at my favourite parts.

Cheers :)

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Thanks.
Your 2 suggestions have been already on our to-do list.

Thank you to all who have posted in this thread and the powerplayer thread, you've been of immense help! - I've spent hours looking for a video app and am very happy with the performance of goodplayer, especially HD stuff.

Sent an email over to powerplayer@hustmobile.com for a promocode for powerplayer and got a response back with the code within an hour so very happy about that too.

Even though I have just bought the app and played with it for a very short time, I do have a couple of improvement suggestions:

1. I have not found personally on video players in general that I'm changing the audio or subtitles track very often which I think are the two 'gesture controlled' options from within in the player (swipe vertically&horizontally). I have however found myself (when travelling) needing to change brightness and volume quite regularly. I don't even know if it's possible and I (and there must be others out there as well) would find this being used more often than the audio track/subs options.

2. The Apple video player has a feature of being able to slow down the video scrolling by dragging your finger down the screen for smaller timeframes (I haven't explained this very well but hopefully you understand). This would be a very useful feature for me as I'm often dipping into films at my favourite parts.

Cheers :)

hakujin1

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2012
Thanks.
Please check the following settings:
1 TV-Out resolution : set it to the best fit one, if you do not know the exact resolution of the TV, set it to "Maximum Resolution"
2 Aspect Ratio: set it to Default

1 native 1080p

2. already set. still slight bars on left/right with 1:1 pixel mapping. strange... does nobody else have this problem. im inclined to try it on another tv at friends house but as imsaid, oplayer hd does not exhibit same problem. but, i like feature set of good player more.

hakujin1

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2012
wnt back and tried every concievable variation (1:1, 16:9, default, tv out tweak, hw decoding, high quality, etc.); doesnt matter. in default mode at maximum res or 1080p(same in this case), 16:9 mpeg4 content has slight letterbox bars on both sides on my sharp aquos. reaffirmed tht on all identical test content, oplayer shows flawlessly. also shows .srt subs which for some reason good player also isnt showing.:eek::mad::p

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Thanks.
Do you use the latest GoodPlayer? GoodPlayer 5.7 just arrives at App Store today.
We do not know why this issue happens. Please send us a photo so we can make some guesses. Our email address: service@hustmobile.com

For the .srt sub support, there are some issues on the .srt (for some .srt files only) sub support with HW decoding. For software decoding, the .srt sub should work. If it still does not work with software decoding, please send us the .srt file.

wnt back and tried every concievable variation (1:1, 16:9, default, tv out tweak, hw decoding, high quality, etc.); doesnt matter. in default mode at maximum res or 1080p(same in this case), 16:9 mpeg4 content has slight letterbox bars on both sides on my sharp aquos. reaffirmed tht on all identical test content, oplayer shows flawlessly. also shows .srt subs which for some reason good player also isnt showing.:eek::mad::p

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
GoodPlayer 5.7 released,
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goodplayer/id416756729?mt=8

What's New in Version 5.7
1. Color Space support improved. Add a "Color Space" setting, by default BT.601 is used for SD video and BT.709 is used for HD video. Also it is possible to force to use BT.601 or BT.709. This "Color Space" setting only applies to software decoding mode.
2. Fix the "Hardware Decoding" mode position keeping issue

hakujin1

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2012
Thanks.
Do you use the latest GoodPlayer? GoodPlayer 5.7 just arrives at App Store today.
We do not know why this issue happens. Please send us a photo so we can make some guesses. Our email address: service@hustmobile.com

For the .srt sub support, there are some issues on the .srt (for some .srt files only) sub support with HW decoding. For software decoding, the .srt sub should work. If it still does not work with software decoding, please send us the .srt file.
yes, problem is still thr.

id send a photo but dont see wht tht wuld accomplish. on 16:9 content, i have bars on all 4 sides. obviously top and bottom are expected to preserve wider than 1.85:1 aspect ratios but the side bars persist. as i said, this is only happening with good player.

Last edited:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Thanks.

BTW, any plans to add bitmap subtitle support while HW playback? ProPlayer and AVPlayer both support it.

Last edited by a moderator:

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
FYI, MSS2 video codec is supported by our another app "PowerPlayer" from 1.6 version, please contact us for the PowerPlayer promo code if you are interested.

hustmobile, I purchased Goodplayer today for the sole purpose of playing WMV files. When I played one today, however, only the audio played and not the video. Per the instructions on your site, I downloaded the mediainfo program and found all of the WMV files I need to play have an MSS2 codec ID. Questions:

1) Can I do anything to play the videos on these WMV MSS2 files with Goodplayer?

2) Do you have any plans in the future to support the MSS2 codec? IF so, do you have any idea when you might implement that?

This is quite frustrating, as I've also had tremendous trouble converting these wmv files to mp4 files. So far it seems no iPad App that advertises that it can play WMV files actually plays my WMV files. Anyway, thank you for your time.

----------

No idea now, it looks the app get the wrong resolution information somewhere.

id send a photo but dont see wht tht wuld accomplish. on 16:9 content, i have bars on all 4 sides. obviously top and bottom are expected to preserve wider than 1.85:1 aspect ratios but the side bars persist. as i said, this is only happening with good player.

----------

Thx, we will give it a check

BTW, any plans to add bitmap subtitle support while HW playback? ProPlayer and AVPlayer both support it.

Last edited by a moderator:

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
If what you mean is uploading to FTP/SMB servers, no. GoodPlayer network clients are downloading only now. Maybe we can add this feature in the future.

Can one upload from Goodplayer?

----------

Please also make sure "TV-Out Tweak Mode" setting is "Off" in your testing.

Composite and compound cable now works again for iOS 5 on iPhone 4, iPad 1 and iPod touch 4. GoodPlayer->Settings->Audio/Video Setting->TV-Out Tweak Mode, the default is "Off"; it needs to be set to "On" for this feature. Please note that "TV-Out Tweak Mode" is only for composite and compound cable with iOS 5 on iPhone 4, iPad 1 and iPod touch 4, do not use it on other cases.

hakujin1

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2012
really hope tv out letterboxing on 16:9 can be fixed

... oplayer sucks in term of optimizations for h.264... maybe lacks multi core decoding? looking foward to fixing this problem.

Robd71

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Audiobooks mixed in with music

Hi hustmobile,

I have several types of media stored on a DNLA media server including videos, photos, music and audiobooks. When I use Goodplayer to stream these files the music and audiobooks are mixed together and placed in a music folder.

Is it possible to have the audiobook files in their own folder?

Thanks
Rob

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
For DLNA, these folders are controlled by DLNA server, not by GoodPlayer app. Please check if there is any setting on the DLNA server side.

Hi hustmobile,

I have several types of media stored on a DNLA media server including videos, photos, music and audiobooks. When I use Goodplayer to stream these files the music and audiobooks are mixed together and placed in a music folder.

Is it possible to have the audiobook files in their own folder?

Thanks
Rob

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
... oplayer sucks in term of optimizations for h.264... maybe lacks multi core decoding? looking foward to fixing this problem.

You try to play h.264 content using SW decoding? Isn't there any way of remuxing your file to a native iOS format (mp4 / mov / m4v)? Then, TV out would also work as intended as, in those cases, most players use the native TV out routine, including even AirPlay?

Robd71

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
For DLNA, these folders are controlled by DLNA server, not by GoodPlayer app. Please check if there is any setting on the DLNA server side.

Thanks for your reply.

Am I right in understanding that DLNA is unable to recognise file types? The audiobook files are .m4a, is it not possible for Goodplayer to place these into an Audiobook folder alongside the Music, Photos and Videos folders?

Hopefully this can be be resolved.
Thanks
Rob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.