Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dfinn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2005
my girlfriend picked up a 1ghz refurb'd ibook. i was playing with the dashboard widgets the other night and I noticed one called mirror. My guess is that it uses a built in camera to show give you a reflection? Is there no built in camera on the ibooks? Am I doing something else wrong?

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
hehe,
the widget probably only works on CRTs without anti-reflective coating and having a big light pointed to your face (or anything else you'd like to mirror :confused: ;) ).

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
dfinn said:
my girlfriend picked up a 1ghz refurb'd ibook. i was playing with the dashboard widgets the other night and I noticed one called mirror. My guess is that it uses a built in camera to show give you a reflection? Is there no built in camera on the ibooks? Am I doing something else wrong?

Mirror 1.0 Widget That Shows Your Face Using iSight

Mirror is a widget that displays a mirror image of your face. This widget combines Dashboard, the latest QuickTime, and QuartzComposer. Not much to say about it. It's purpose is to show off the technologies and to be fun. Please give me feedback for improvements.

System requirements:
Mac OS X 10.4 or higher iSight or possibly other video-in device

Mirror is freeware

For more information, visit:
http://balooba.se/

peace | neut

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
god no you dont need a camera. each pixel on the screen has a tiny camera no bigger than the actual pixel and take a 1x1 pixel picture. it does have a very fast refresh rate, about 300fps to mimic that of a circling vulture. i cant remember what this technology was called but it was along the lines of 'meme'.

of course it was engineered in Germany.

iBook screens are compatable but not Powerbook. rumour has it that Apple are waiting for 600fps capture rates before putting them in the PB range, and the iMac too. however Apple have deactivated this technology for now. it will be made available via Software Update once Duke Nukem Forever is out.

Switzermac

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2005
raggedjimmi said:
god no you dont need a camera. each pixel on the screen has a tiny camera no bigger than the actual pixel and take a 1x1 pixel picture. it does have a very fast refresh rate, about 300fps to mimic that of a circling vulture. i cant remember what this technology was called but it was along the lines of 'meme'.

of course it was engineered in Germany.

iBook screens are compatable but not Powerbook. rumour has it that Apple are waiting for 600fps capture rates before putting them in the PB range, and the iMac too. however Apple have deactivated this technology for now. it will be made available via Software Update once Duke Nukem Forever is out.

That is so cool when is dule nukem out i can wait to use it.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Switzermac said:
That is so cool when is dule nukem out i can wait to use it.

I think it's due out in a few days. I must have a rare iBook, because I sure can see my face in the mirror.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.