Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As had been rumored and shown in leaked images, the iPhone 5 does indeed use the new Apple-backed nano-SIM standard that is 40% smaller than the micro-SIM standard found in the iPhone 4 and 4S. Apple did not mention the change during its media event, but the company has confirmed it in an iPhone model comparison.

iphone_5_nano_sim.jpg

The iPhone 5 appears to be the first device to use the new nano-SIM standard, and carriers had reportedly begun stockpiling the new cards as long ago as July before starting to distribute them to retailers earlier this month in anticipation of the iPhone 5 introduction.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Confirmed to Use New Nano-SIM Standard

BanterClaus

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
UK
Dammit. This is good overall but it means i'm going to have to get a new contract if I get a new iPhone.

Unless mobile carriers somehow come up with a way for you to transfer sim data.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Which means it's going to be a PITA for anyone who buys unsubsidized and can't swap their old SIM in.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Will I be able to get a new nano sim card from my carrier (o2 uk) if I buy outright unlocked from Apple and I'm already in a contract?

Probably. AT&T does it without question for customers. The issue is getting in a store on launch day.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Will I be able to get a new nano sim card from my carrier (o2 uk) if I buy outright unlocked from Apple and I'm already in a contract?

When the micro SIM was introduced with iPhone 4, this wasn't a problem for me on o2 simplicity. I imagine it'll be similar for nano SIMs now…

They actually sent me my micro SIM before the iPhone got delivered, so I'd be ready to rock by the time it arrived. :)

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
When the micro SIM was introduced with iPhone 4, this wasn't a problem for me on o2 simplicity. I imagine it'll be similar for nano SIMs now…

They actually sent me my micro SIM before the iPhone got delivered, so I'd be ready to rock by the time it arrived. :)

Ahh this is helpful, thanks! I'll call them at some point when they know about the iPhone themselves and see what they can do :)

flipshot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Hertfordshire, UK
T-Mobile UK, think they will have Nano-sims available in their stores on 21st September and you will have to go in store to swap to one. They apparently don't do it the same as O2 where they send the SIM and you swap it online, they can only switch it in person or over the phone.

Newjackboy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
Nano sim was my only disappointment today

It looks like a regular or microsim CANNOT be cut down to this new nano sim size.

Also, it will be IMPOSSIBLE to use an adaptor with your new nano sim and use that inside a iPhone 4s or regular sim phone

This is really bad news for travellers.

And terrible for people who need to switch sims between devices

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
It looks like a regular or microsim CANNOT be cut down to this new nano sim size.

Also, it will be IMPOSSIBLE to use an adaptor with your new nano sim and use that inside a iPhone 4s or regular sim phone

This is really bad news for travellers.

And terrible for people who need to switch sims between devices

You can use an adaptor to change the profile of a nano SIM to its micro and regular counterparts.

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England

Contact O2 and ask for a nano SIM to be posted to you, or visit one of their stores on the day of the iPhone 5 release. They should be able to provide you with a complimentary nano SIM.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
You cannot. The gold parts are significantly smaller. That's the main problem.
This is false. The micro SIM and nano SIM contacts have the same placement.

One true difference is the thickness of the cards. The nano SIM (0.67mm thick) is 0.09mm thinner than the micro/mini/standard SIM (0.76mm thick). One could probably shave this off in a minute with some sandpaper or an emery board.

Due to manufacturing and contact tolerances, the thickness issue may not be all that important.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
This is false. The micro SIM and nano SIM contacts have the same placement.

One true difference is the thickness of the cards. The nano SIM (0.67mm thick) is 0.09mm thinner than the micro/mini/standard SIM (0.76mm thick). One could probably shave this off in a minute with some sandpaper or an emery board.

Due to manufacturing and contact tolerances, the thickness issue may not be all that important.

Pretty much this.

Some manufacturers change the way the contacts look and it can be confusing for some.

Will the average Joe want to shave off that thickness though?

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
The average Joe can get a free replacement SIM card from their mobile provider or Apple :D

Yes, but that could be construed as an inconvenience. And a dumb spectrum reseller like Straight Talk may have quite a delay getting that new SIM to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.