Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

4rtemidis

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Switzerland
What's going on here?!
People the phone is not out yet!
We don't know what happened to that phone in the review and it's only this review that mentions this extreme scuff.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I'm getting the black and I'm still happy about my choice. We'll see in time what happens. I've seen people walk around with totally scratched up iPhones before. I may nickname my iPhone scuffy for the hell of it ;)

NM08SRT8

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Earf
the pattern of wear and tear is exactly what makes an old pear of jeans look beautiful. scratches don't always have the same effect on devices like this, but wearing of anodization and development of a patina is a bit different. embrace it. and if you can't, get a case or get a white phone (where you have other issues of it developing some signs of wear and tear that, compared to the black, i think leave it looking worse).

Yeah let's talk about wear on a $40 pair of jeans verses a several hundred dollar phone.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Aaaaarrrggh shoulda listened to my gut instinct.....THERE IS NUTHN WRONG IN PICKING A GIRLY COLOR

Girly color? There are no iPhone girly colors. Maybe you are confused with the pastel hues of the iPod line.

But for the iPhone, there is only white, and black. Both quite neutral.

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
Please believe if this is the case ill be exchanging the phone once a month. Call it anal or whatever you want. The whole purpose of getting black was to not see silver..

DArsenault

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Boston, MA
I think people might be underestimating what goes on during the review process. People are saying, "it's showing wear after only a few days of use". But the point of the review is to test products and find flaws. Way I see it, they tried their best to scuff the phone and were successful, but under what condition did this happen? I will not be trying to scuff my phone, so the condition in which their scuffing occurred will most likely be delayed if it occurs at all during daily use.

NM08SRT8

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Earf
No No NO. Dont buy a case.

Naked all the way. Dont ruing such a beautiful phone by putting a fugly case on it.

Thats what insurance is for

A case "ruing"s a phone but scratches don't?

Insurance is not for user cosmetic issues.

shawnwich

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2007
Houston, TX
This is obviously dependent on the person. Some people are going to be okay with a few scratches here and there, and it's really going to bother others.

Why are we trying to have a consensus?

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
btw

http://cdn.pocket-lint.com/images/4RWr/apple-iphone-5-phone-review-6.jpg?20120919-102533

if you page through Pocket Lint's photos. It somehow looks like they dragged it on its corner on a sidewalk... If that is the wear, I would fail to see how they would achieve that naturally.

Also, I don't understand why Pocket Lint didn't clean off their phone before taking pictures for their review. It has crap all over the screen and sides (not fingerprints).

bitslap47

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2007
Girly color? There are no iPhone girly colors. Maybe you are confused with the pastel hues of the iPod line.

But for the iPhone, there is only white, and black. Both quite neutral.

I'd bet a poll would show popular opinion differs from yours... not that it matters beyond being majority opinion.

Maybe a poll on whether scuffing through to silver will annoy people to see what the majority feels on that subject as well.

My personal opinion on color is that black is viewed as more masculine (although I have a white 4s.)

My personal opinion regarding the scuffing issue is that it will be unacceptable to me if it happens from contact with standard softer surfaces like clothing, plastic (car cup holder) or standard desk surfaces like wood, laminate, etc. If it happens from a drop, keys or coins... my bad my fault.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Plastic can crack and show scratches, metal can dent and show scratches. Painted or anodized surfaces will scratch. Even carbon fiber will show scratches.

There is no real solution (so far) to keeping an iPhone or any other used object in pristine (unscratched) condition - other than not using it or completely covering it up with something else that will take the abuse of daily life.

It's just a great opportunity for peel and stick shield manufacturers and case makers to come to the rescue. I know I'll be wrapping mine as soon as I get it.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I think the black bezel will be the source of complaints when the people start putting the phone in their pocket with keys.

Countdown to Scratchgate in 3...2...

Haha, got to be the first use of "scratch gate", lets hope it doesn't happen!

Personally, I ordered white last friday because of the alluminium being the same as on my Mac, i am glad I did now! Absolutely love the design. No complaints here. Will see when I have it in my hands.

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012
Do you worry about going grey as you grow older? Think of it as character. It's just a phone.

When you get older you don't list your head on eBay as "Prestine Condition" in order to maximize resale value so you can replace it with a younger and more beautiful head.

For many people It's not just a phone, it's an investment.

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
No No NO. Dont buy a case.

Naked all the way. Dont ruing such a beautiful phone by putting a fugly case on it.

Thats what insurance is for

insurance isn't for cosmetic damage...

But this train of thought LEADS to damaged devices.

It may not be cool to not wear a case, but It's not cool all of a sudden putting a case on a cracked/broken phone.. AFTER the fact.

kazpod

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
I dont understand buying a good looking expensive phone, then throwing on some cover that makes it look like any other phone.

Phone + film = perfection

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
insurance isn't for cosmetic damage...

But this train of thought LEADS to damaged devices.

It may not be cool to not wear a case, but It's not cool all of a sudden putting a case on a cracked/broken phone.. AFTER the fact.

you can cash in on applecare+ for cosmetic damage if you want.

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
you can cash in on applecare+ for cosmetic damage if you want.

thinking like that is why thee's forever a shortage. Just take care of your investment, it's that simple.

Sure, you want to look cool walking around with a phone naked...

Until you drop it.

----------

I dont understand buying a good looking expensive phone, then throwing on some cover that makes it look like any other phone.

film? Are you protecting it from your fingers or a fall? Two different things

kazpod

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
A case on an iPhone is like buying a Ferrari and covering it in foam padding because you are afraid it will get a scratch (for lack of better example).

A case makes it look like any other phone.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
I see me going to an ATT store a few days after I get my phone and exchanging it for a white one. I do not use a case or bumper, so I would be irate if the black begins to wear off on my phone.

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012

The problem is that for the last 2 generations its been Phone + Nothing = Perfection

I used to use invisible shields on my phones but with the glass back and front then I peeled mine off and was surprised at how well it stood up to extended use. I don't find scuffs to be a big deal but considering how many people view this as "art" then if it is scuff/scratch prone then that really sucks.

(BTW. I hate that these threads were merged. It feels like two different conversations going on)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.