Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
btw

http://cdn.pocket-lint.com/images/4RWr/apple-iphone-5-phone-review-6.jpg?20120919-102533

if you page through Pocket Lint's photos. It somehow looks like they dragged it on its corner on a sidewalk... If that is the wear, I would fail to see how they would achieve that naturally.

Also, I don't understand why Pocket Lint didn't clean off their phone before taking pictures for their review. It has crap all over the screen and sides (not fingerprints).

Man if that slate model does that I may have to opt for the less manly white color, that stinks. Wish they woulda stuck with silver on the outer band like the white model.

sparkstsa

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
Quoted from slashgear's review

"They’re finished with a beautiful chamfered edge, which Apple says is diamond-cut; it’s unfortunately reasonably prone to scrapes, however, and after just a few days of relatively kid-glove treatment, this black review model bore at least one small scar. It would likely be less obvious with a white version."

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012
A case on an iPhone is like buying a Ferrari and covering it in foam padding because you are afraid it will get a scratch (for lack of better example).

A case makes it look like any other phone.

To me, a case is silly for three reasons:

1) The initial reaction from every reviewer (and soon every owner) is how slim and light it is. You can't go around bragging that and then toss it in a case to cover up the stuff you were just bragging about.

2) The argument for why the iPhone cant be any wider is based on this nonsense that "any wider would make the phone unusable with one hand". Yet people are intentionally increasing thickness and width without any negative impact towards their single hand functionality. So if you use a case you void your argument that "The iPhone size is PERFECT".

3) Cases add thickness. Let's be realistic here, even 1mm in thickness would increase battery capacity and allow for a better camera so why the heck would anyone prefer that thickness to be wasted on rubber rather than improved Tech guts.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
It looks like Pocket lint manhandled that phone. It looks scuffed because they dropped it or dragged it along something.

I'll reserve judgement on the scuff/wear, but I agree w/ you, it doesn't look like its from normal handling (i.e. in hands, pocket, table, etc.).

But probably would also be expecting it if I dropped it on the sidewalk or such... just as I would expect plastic to get scratched or dented from dropping it.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
When you get older ...For many people It's not just a phone, it's an investment.

When you get older, and take an economics course, you'll know the difference between an expense and an investment, too.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
The sad part is apple will just ignore this instead of announcing anything about it.

The iPhone 3 scuffed, the iPhone 4 scuffed. It happens when people put metallic and chrome objects in pockets with coins and keys.

Apple should reinvent the laws of gravity and physics, that what you're saying?

BJ

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I'm sorry, but this is absolutely moronic. Anyone who believed that this wouldn't happen is completely unfamiliar with any colored aluminum product from Apple. If you have ever bought any slate colored iPod in particular, you would have known that this happens. The andonization does not go very deep and the coating is not very hard. When it is scratched you will see silver aluminum. In other words, it's always worn like **** which is why anyone worried about this who has purchased colored iPods knew to purchase the white iPhone 5.

By the way- the glass iPhone back panel of iPhone 4 was the pinnacle of design elegance and much more durable than aluminum. Naked iPhone 5s will be looking like hell in no time.

bitslap47

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2007
Ease up...

Why is everyone so rude. The internet isn't an excuse to act differently than you would in person (I am assuming and choosing to believe you are more understanding and wouldn't snipe in person.)

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Well, just another reason to get a case. I think the Incipio Feather is a perfect compromise. Very minimal, but enough to keep the dirt and junk off the phone. I've had one on my iPhone 4S for months and it's served me well.
BUT i do love the look of the new iPhone and am thinking about getting the FULL InvisibleShield.
Anybody else going for that?

OH and to go along with the thread: It's a DANG phone made of glass and aluminum. Of course it will get scratches on it.

ALSO, who else is looking forward to the first drop test video?! :)

LSUMaze

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2010
Michigan
Question (might be stupid, but still) to those saying that anodized aluminum will eventually scuff, how come all the anodized aluminum cookware never scratch, even with stainless steel utensils?

flipn0tic

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
I'm sorry, but this is absolutely moronic. Anyone who believed that this wouldn't happen is completely unfamiliar with any colored aluminum product from Apple. If you have ever bought any slate colored iPod in particular, you would have known that this happens. The andonization does not go very deep and the coating is not very hard. When it is scratched you will see silver aluminum. In other words, it's always worn like **** which is why anyone worried about this who has purchased colored iPods knew to purchase the white iPhone 5.

By the way- the glass iPhone back panel of iPhone 4 was the pinnacle of design elegance and much more durable than aluminum. Naked iPhone 5s will be looking like hell in no time.

Glass back more durable? Have you ever seen a dropped iPhone 4/4S? It's not pretty.

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
No metal that's colored black, particularly soft aluminum, will be immune to scratches and scuffs. This is true of even PVD and DLC coatings which are way tougher than anodized aluminum, they always at least show edge wear.

I always use a case so this isn't an issue for me.

Netherscourge

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
How many people are going to have their phone outside a bumper or case anyway?

(I know it's not the point to assume people will put their phones in cases to avoid this. It shouldn't scuff so easily in the first place.)

Just saying. If you're dropping $200 to $400 on a smartphone (not to mention the monthly $70 or so for the contract plan), you're kinda stupid if you're not dropping another $50 or so on a protective case for the thing.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Glass back more durable? Have you ever seen a dropped iPhone 4/4S? It's not pretty.

Sigh, yes I have- I am sorry I wasn't more specific for you - I am talking anout everyday wear and tear like scratches and dents, not extreme falls. But while we are on the topic- I also dropped my iPhone 4 on tile floor from about 3 feet in height and it did not crack, and I know of no one personally whose 4 cracked from a fall.

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
lets hope just its one bad apple (per say):apple:

I'm just looking for some more details on this to prove it is or isn't a real issue.

Firstly, it's per se not per say.

Secondly, unless you're really referring to the apple fruit, I don't think you really know the meaning of the term.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
A case on an iPhone is like buying a Ferrari and covering it in foam padding because you are afraid it will get a scratch (for lack of better example).

A case makes it look like any other phone.

Buying a case is a good way to personalize your phone. It won't look like any other phone but even if it did, so what? I'm not buying it so that others can think I have an iPhone. I'm buying it for my own personal usage. I'm buying a case that will give minimal protection but also give it a different style. I have a purple and a pink case on order. I may buy another one too.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
thinking like that is why thee's forever a shortage. Just take care of your investment, it's that simple.

Sure, you want to look cool walking around with a phone naked...

Until you drop it.

----------

film? Are you protecting it from your fingers or a fall? Two different things

I Buy the phone b.c of the way it looks...not to put a retard case on it. If it does fall "insurance" gives you peace of mind....just like insurance in any other form in the world. Should I drive w/o insurance too....

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
I Buy the phone b.c of the way it looks...not to put a retard case on it. If it does fall "insurance" gives you peace of mind....just like insurance in any other form in the world. Should I drive w/o insurance too....

lmao. so you're saying you'd take your car back and trade it in for a completely refurbished car because you went and put a ding in the side of your car? Okay.

mostlydave

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
Interesting:

"Anodizing is an electrochemical process that thickens and toughens the naturally occurring protective oxide. The resulting finish, depending on the process, is the second hardest substance known to man, second only to the diamond."

http://www.electropolishingsystems.com/AA1.htm

I can tell you from experience with rc car parts that anodized aluminum, even the gunmetal colored "hard anodized" aluminum, can and does scratch, and there is no way its hardness is second only to diamond!

irispen

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
well i just saw the orange nano at the apple store, and scratches are everywhere! unlike the iphone 4s sitting next to it which has minimal scratches.

if black iphone5= nano 6th then ill go with white

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.