Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
I go to Bremerton/Bangor a lot. Are any of those cities close to the ones that have activated, so that they might be able to get the signal from one of those cities, even though they aren't specifically listed?

Sorry, none of them that I know of are on the peninsula. Maybe Covington (I have no idea where that is). The closest otherwise is probably Tacoma which is still too far period for Bremerton to take advantage of (no idea where Bangor is a lot, I assume near Bremerton?).

nws0291

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
Glad to see Rochester NY live with LTE. I will be up there next week recruiting at RIT. There will be lots of happy engineers!

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
Already posted this in my other thread about Seattle, but here is a list of all western Washington cities confirmed to have 4g active:

Seattle
Bellevue
Lynnwood
Renton
Covington
Federal Way
Tacoma

I am currently in Everett, WA and have LTE on my iPad.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
I go to Bremerton/Bangor a lot. Are any of those cities close to the ones that have activated, so that they might be able to get the signal from one of those cities, even though they aren't specifically listed?

Bremerton is a bit too far away from Seattle by a few Miles as indicated by this formula for LTE signal propagation in Urban Areas :

Hata%20Model%20for%20Urban%20Areas.bmp

silverhick

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
Seattle, Wa
Sorry, none of them that I know of are on the peninsula. Maybe Covington (I have no idea where that is). The closest otherwise is probably Tacoma which is still too far period for Bremerton to take advantage of (no idea where Bangor is a lot, I assume near Bremerton?).

Covington is near Kent and a little off the beaten path so maybe coverage will be great at launch. Personally hoping Tacoma stretches to Puyallup/South Hill.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Sacramento, Davis, and suburbs east to El Dorado Hills have been live since Saturday. Getting up to 30 Mbps down on my new iPad. Nice!

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
I am currently in Everett, WA and have LTE on my iPad.

I'm in Bellevue and enjoying LTE on my iPad too.
My first run speed test was 20.26Mbps down and 15.72Mbps up from Wichita, KS server with 137ms ping.

I usually got no more than 4Mbps down and 2Mbps up on my iPhone 4S in downtown Seattle.

tarheel3559

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2010
Add Wilmington, NC to the mix. I can confirm it was on as of last Friday. Ipad (3rd gen) was showing an LTE connection. Did a speed test and d/l speeds were comparable to 5ghz wifi, but LTE u/l speeds were out of this world compared to my 5g wifi.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
Glad to see all this activity on the AT&T LTE front. I agree they should have made their expansion plans known before the pre-orders. I wanted to jump to VZW for the LTE but couldn't because of cost ($50 more/mo for our 6 phone plan.) I knew AT&T would go live soon enough anyway. Glad it's looking like sooner than later! I'm with others waiting to see how far their launch reaches in my area. I know I'm going to be on the edge going from population centers and the VZW rollout.

golfesv

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
How far does LTE reach

So I live about 30 miles outside of Philly in Bucks County. Does anyone know how far LTE reaches? I order the iphone 5 so I guess I will find out soon enough. Will the signal reach the surronding suburbs?

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
Still no word on Madison, WI unfortunately :( Milwaukee and Green Bay are on the list for 2012 so hopefully we'll be soon behind, it is the Capitol after all!

DArsenault

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Boston, MA
Anyone know how far outside the listed city the coverage extends too? I know they've recently expanded Boston to cover both the North and South shore. But I'm curious about general coverage area in other places as well.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Still no word on Madison, WI unfortunately :( Milwaukee and Green Bay are on the list for 2012 so hopefully we'll be soon behind, it is the Capitol after all!

They've gotta so something for us. The coverage in Madison is great but once you leave the city in any direction it's horrible. I would have left AT&T for this upgrade but the costs with Verizon were far too much of an increase.

Brad02

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2011
Louisville, KY is on the list to be flipped on before the end of 2012. Hopefully sooner rather than later! One of the major reasons I am upgrading from the 4S to a 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.