Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Btw... if having round in-ear headphones is so stupid... why have Apple's headphones been that way for years? Same about screen size?

Not wanna flame this, but half of those ads are just telling that the way Apple did it the past couple of years was just wrong.

While I agree with the headphones... I really don't like the larger screen. I'd even more like to have a smaller screen.

I was just thinking this too. Lol. If round isn't good, WTF were you doing with them the whole time before? Lol. I don't think the companies that are paid to come up with these things actually think about the entire story.

Fried Chicken

Suspended
Jun 11, 2011
I don't like these ads.
They're incredibly pretentious and un-apple like.
The "cheese" ad was almost like apple was mocking itself, the way the speaker said "cheeeeeeese" in the background.

The one that was closest to a true apple Ad was "physics", but even that was lacking in some quality.

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Wow, lots of hatred here.

I thought the ads were pretentious and superior sounding. I like that they tried to explain the thumbs thing because it makes sense, but the bit about physics bit about bigger and smaller is just confusing for people who don't know that it's taller but actually takes up less space because it's also much thinner.

I loved that they explained the thumbs thing. The Samsung ad is trying to be all macho saying, "But our screen is BIGGER!!!!!!!! Bigger is always better!" ...except bigger isn't always better.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
I like the first one the best. It gets across the point that Apple actually seriously considers how people use the device before throwing 500 pony tricks into it.

hirshnoc

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Who is writing these?

Who is writing these ads? Basically every single ad sounds like the announcer is acting clueless but figuring out what he's saying as he goes along. It looks a lot like the same people who wrote the Genius ads wrote these -- and I don't think any of these ads would have passed by Steve Jobs. I'm glad he left Apple with 4 years of products, because those themselves should be enough to keep the company going despite these poor advertising decisions.

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Who is writing these ads? Basically every single ad sounds like the announcer is acting clueless but figuring out what he's saying as he goes along. It looks a lot like the same people who wrote the Genius ads wrote these -- and I don't think any of these ads would have passed by Steve Jobs. I'm glad he left Apple with 4 years of products, because those themselves should be enough to keep the company going despite these poor advertising decisions.

And it only took 3 pages before someone said, "Steve Jobs never would have..." :rolleyes:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Add my vote for the "Thumbs" ad as the best of the bunch. These harken back to some of the Mac ads from the early 2000s. They point out why Apple did what it did, and why it makes sense.

MacFan782040

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2003
Sure all hands (thumbs?) are different... but I can stretch to reach further across than the one ad suggests.

Love my iPhone 5, but now playing with it in person I wish they would have extended the width a tiny bit too. It almost seems too tall... even an 1/8 inch would have been better.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Theses are brilliant! Take one feature and show it off in a light, non-snarky way. Cute kids always help. These are ads that Apple should be proud of because they show Apple at its best.

itsthenewdc

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, FL
I was just thinking this too. Lol. If round isn't good, WTF were you doing with them the whole time before? Lol. I don't think the companies that are paid to come up with these things actually think about the entire story.

People used to think the world was flat, and Earth was the center of the universe, and a BUNCH of other things that we've learned better over time. Yes, Apple was doing it the "wrong" way previously, but they found something that was an improvement and have shifted their designs towards that.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
I like the ads. I don't really get why people are saying that they are un-Apple like. They're just like every iPhone ad that has ever existed.

It's kind of weird how when Steve Jobs died, the fanboys split into two groups: the Steve Jobs fanboys who now hate Apple and want to see it fail without him, and the real Apple fanboys who will continue to support the company no matter what.

And then there's MacRumors, where both types and some added trolls all come to yell at each other.

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Samsung still burned Apple with this one:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf5-Prx19ZM

Yeah man like total burn! /s

What a stupid comment. They aren't burning Apple, they are burning the customers they hope to get. They still show Apple with lines around the block... I don't get it. Don't they want to be the ones with with lines around the block?

"Oh yours got a bigger screen? Well this one is bigger..."

Yeah, my 27" screen at home is bigger too, so whats your point? My iPad has a bigger screen as well, I don't get it. As if that extra .5 inches, thats where its at man, you haven't lived until you've had a 4.5" screen!

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
Nice ads. Good job apple. Panorama and thumbs were my favorites. The i5 is the perfect size to me. It's not like Apple couldn't have made a bigger and wider phone. They chose not to for ergo reasons. I played with a GS3 today and man, not only is it too big, but all that plastic just feels cheap. Sammy was so concerned about trying to beat every spec they could that they forgot to ask themselves if they should.

backwardsrain

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
"Why would headphones be round?" Then they show some almost round headphones. Just like the old headphones were round. Yeah, the new ones are shaped differently but still mostly round!

By the way, I like the new headphones. I just think the ad is stupid. It sounds like Apple is mocking its own designs.

Love the panorama one though, that's cute. :D

djltoronto

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2009
Sure all hands (thumbs?) are different... but I can stretch to reach further across than the one ad suggests.

Love my iPhone 5, but now playing with it in person I wish they would have extended the width a tiny bit too. It almost seems too tall... even an 1/8 inch would have been better.

But then it wouldn't be 16x9...
What aspect ratio would you suggest they use?

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Really not a fan. After the AWFUL genius ads, these are better but still they lack the quality of the previous generation's ads... I am really worried about Apple's marketing department. Steve must have said no to a lot of their crap because I haven't seen Apple ads this lame in awhile. The finger one is okay but the rest are crap IMO.

All the same, I love my new iPhone 5 so at least Apple is still making quality products.

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
I wouldn't say good. Better, but not good. Ridiculously bass and low-midrange heavy almost to the point where things get muddy. You can get better headphones for $29 elsewhere.
I don't really want to discuss this here, so I'll just stay with "That's okay, it's highly subjective".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.