Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2SwiFt29

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
Was able to get a $36 fee credited back through the AT&T chat. I will have to do this again for my wife's phone once I get it since Apple ran out. Thank you for this thread! :D

On the 2nd fee waive, "I have noted the account that we can waive one more upgrade fee this year. You have been a loyal AT&T customer and we certainly appreciate your business."

Great service...

ajones46

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
Monroe, Michigan
Chat is saying its unavailable for billing and payment - anyone else? Maybe I should just try calling. Then again, I don't want to be placed on hold for 40 minutes.

slick316

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Chat is saying its unavailable for billing and payment - anyone else? Maybe I should just try calling. Then again, I don't want to be placed on hold for 40 minutes.

Its showing unavailable for me also. I bet they temporarily closed online chat for billing so that we end up calling them instead.

I'm going to keep checking through out the day.

EDIT - Just got through with the online chat.

Last edited:

Zdb

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
I had an issue with my cross upgrade where AT&T switched me off of my unlimited plan to a 300 mb plan without my authorization. Not only did I get them to get me back on my unlimited plan but I also had my upgrade fee waived and free data for this billing period.

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
No luck on a chat with AT&T. Upgraded to two iPhone 5's over the weekend. Maybe I'll try again with another rep. :(

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin

it showed up as unavailable for me as well at first, but i just waited a few minutes and refreshed and it came back up. i think availability is just based on current chat volume. it should open up again fairly soon.

oscsjc

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2011
I am eligable for a full upgrade next month. All I want is them to waive 28 days. Rep at ATT store told me they won't do it.:mad:

caseyervin

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
No dice

I just tried and got a long, canned response detailing all the bs that the fee covers and that it is not able to be waived.

Macinva

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Just got done with my AT&T chat. I was credited back half of the $250 and he waived the $36 "upgrade" fee.

I didn't use the text in the thread, I simply stated the deal, I paid a lot of the phone and have been with AT&T forever, so I felt the extra fees were excessive.

So I ended up getting $161.00 credited to my account.

Not too bad! Thanks for the thread.

kodek

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
Add another person to the list. I got one $36 fee waived. I told them I found it unfair, and they said that they can't just waive it because I don't want to pay for it. I told them they had no problem doing it last year, and that other representatives were doing it without any issue. The chat representative transferred me to someone else who did it as a "one time courtesy." They said that the fee is there for a number of reasons (such as helping recommend people equipment, give out special discounts, and other reasons that never seem to apply to me).

Anyway, thanks for the idea. Those $36 add up, especially when they're unnecessary.

iproductsuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I called in and had both upgrade fees waived plus something else (couldn't understand the rep) for a total of $80 some dollars credit. I got an email confirmation of this with the amt listed. Thanks at&t!

shaneplewis

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
The rep said that he couldn't waive mine now as it has not yet been billed, but made notes on my account and I would have to contact a rep once I receive my bill to have them waive it.

So I guess I kind of got mine waived?

I tried with the $250 as well and it was no go, at all. Nada.

slick316

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Got mine waived.

Explained that I felt the fee was unnecessary and that the explanation for the fee was not only vague, but slightly insulting. As a loyal customer who is agreeing to a new 2 year contract for a slightly discounted phone, I do not feel that AT&T should tell this customer to pay an extra $36 up front, with no real reasoning. Its a pretty lame tactic, similar to the "doc fee" that car dealerships charge.

Chedd

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2012
I tried. The drone I mean rep just kept telling me that the upgrade fee wasn't allowed to be waived that it was valet service. Even though no one from ATT did anything for me.

----------

Yes.

Yikes, I don't see it anywhere on my billing statement... Where am I supposed to see it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.