Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammyootsi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Hi there,

I'm currently on my company's Verizon corporate account and use a Samsung Galaxy Nexus. It's a requirement that we have an Android phone to use some software but I'd like to have an iPhone as well. Is it possible to switch the SIM card back and forth between the Galaxy Nexus and the iPhone 5 to be able to operate either as I want? I understand this wasn't possible with CDMA networks but it appears this might work with LTE devices: http://support.verizonwireless.com/information/4gsim.html

Thanks for the help!

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
You'll probably need a SIM adapter as LTE requires the SIM, but you'll have to reactivate each phone every time you want to swap, no? If I remember CDMA phones correctly...

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
It is possible. You will need a nano sim for the iPhone 5 and then a sim adaptor when you want to switch to an android device.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Be careful with this. I also own a Galaxy Nexus and I used (or tried at least) a Sim Adapter, but when removing the SIM, the adapter will catch the copper pins and rip them out, rendering the phone useless. Sadly I had purchased mine in the Netherlands and Samsung USA refused to even look at it. Had to send it back to Holland through a friend, and then have it sent back to me. Took about 1.5 months.

You'll probably need a SIM adapter.

JDilla

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
Perfect, thanks! Can I ask, did you buy a full priced unlocked version or did you use someone's upgrade to get a discounted iphone 5?

I was thinking of taking my mom's upgrade, but if there are issues with her having to activate or me having to activate instead of just popping the sim in then I might buy the full price version. Thanks again for your help!

sammyootsi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Perfect, thanks! Can I ask, did you buy a full priced unlocked version or did you use someone's upgrade to get a discounted iphone 5?

I was thinking of taking my mom's upgrade, but if there are issues with her having to activate or me having to activate instead of just popping the sim in then I might buy the full price version. Thanks again for your help!

I bought the full priced unlocked. Expensive, sure, but guaranteed there'd be no issues. Good luck!

JDilla

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
I bought the full priced unlocked. Expensive, sure, but guaranteed there'd be no issues. Good luck!

Awesome, yeah I guess I will do the same thing to avoid any issues! Did you cut your sim down? I am trying to find a good guide to do it, but none of the one's I have found so far online deal with Verizon micro sims specifically.

Thanks again for your help!

sammyootsi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Awesome, yeah I guess I will do the same thing to avoid any issues! Did you cut your sim down? I am trying to find a good guide to do it, but none of the one's I have found so far online deal with Verizon micro sims specifically.

Thanks again for your help!

Happy to help, not a problem. And I actually just had Verizon port my number to the iPhone and just used the sim that came with that. Then, I can pop it out and stick it in the Nexus. Actually pretty pain-free once I found an iPhone 5!

JDilla

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
Happy to help, not a problem. And I actually just had Verizon port my number to the iPhone and just used the sim that came with that. Then, I can pop it out and stick it in the Nexus. Actually pretty pain-free once I found an iPhone 5!

Oh great! So Verizon ported your number even though it is on a business account? I thought that I might not be able to do that because the account is owned by my company and therefore I wouldn't have any authority to make any changes - maybe I was wrong about that. If they can port the number to a different SIM without me needing to be the actual account owner that would be ideal.

I was thinking I would have to cut my sim because I wouldnt be able to use the nano sim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.