Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Does anyone know if this will work going in the "opposite direction"? I just installed the mac client last night, and while certainly playable, I'd like to give it a shot on my BC partition. If I can skip the long download process, that would be a big help.

In a word, yes,you have to MOVE the files, using copy the game will not run.

royal shrimp

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
california
Does anyone know if this will work going in the "opposite direction"? I just installed the mac client last night, and while certainly playable, I'd like to give it a shot on my BC partition. If I can skip the long download process, that would be a big help.

yes, it does work in the opposite direction. but remember, only copy the GW2.dat file, no other files as they may have been altered by the mac client.

MacGamerHQ

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Lyon, France
Playing perfectly on my hackintosh

Hey guys,

For those on the fences, I started playing on my windows partition, getting very decent frame rates (around 45, with almost all specs maxed out).

Now, on the OSX client, I get around 35 fps.

I have to test more in detail but with virtually the same specs, I lost some fps. However, I am playing exclusively on OSX as switching to Windows just to to play annoys me as hell!

Overall, the game is working without issues, mouse and keyboard working perfectly!

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
Hey guys,

For those on the fences, I started playing on my windows partition, getting very decent frame rates (around 45, with almost all specs maxed out).

I have to test more in detail but with virtually the same specs, I lost some fps. However, I am playing exclusively on OSX as switching to Windows just to to play annoys me as hell!

Overall, the game is working without issues, mouse and keyboard working perfectly!

what resolution are you playing at? and what mac are you using? i'm on an RMBP and tried the game at 1440. definitely didn't seem like i was getting 35FPS.

on the windows side of my RMBP, i play at 1920x1200 with medium or max visual settings and it plays very smoothly. i can even play at 2880x1800 with all low settings and it still looks great and runs pretty well.

blackbear219

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2012
I haven't had any problems with the Mac client. I "auto detect" my best graphics settings...on high everything it chugs a little bit but on auto detect it runs smooth as butter. It even seems to load a little bit faster on the Mac client. It is just a beta, so I am sure it will get better as well.

I'm playing on a 3.1ghz i5 iMac with 16GB of ram.

I really enjoy not having to boot into bootcamp any more to play this game. Plus, it drives my wife crazy when I forget to boot back into MacOS when I'm done :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Hey guys,

That sounds like a very reasonable MacOS hit if it's Apples to Apples.

Cuyahoga

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
Just splurged and got it--currently downloading. This will be my first MMORPG ever. Kind of nervous since I'm extremely casual and very off & on when it comes to playing games...hence why I greatly prefer staying in OS X, even if there's a performance penalty.

I have a 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2.8GHz quad) with a GTX570 (1.28GB). I'll post how it goes whenever it finishes.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just splurged and got it--currently downloading. This will be my first MMORPG ever. Kind of nervous since I'm extremely casual and very off & on when it comes to playing games...hence why I greatly prefer staying in OS X, even if there's a performance penalty.

I have a 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2.8GHz quad) with a GTX570 (1.28GB). I'll post how it goes whenever it finishes.

Well there is no subscription so you can play it when you feel like it and not feel like you are wasting money. However, I would recommend that you find a good casual guild to join. This allows you to obtains some consistent in-game fellowship. It's much superior to being a strictly solo player. You can find help, assistance, and sometimes a bank full of stuff that you'll have some access to.

MacGamerHQ

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Lyon, France
what resolution are you playing at? and what mac are you using? i'm on an RMBP and tried the game at 1440. definitely didn't seem like i was getting 35FPS.

on the windows side of my RMBP, i play at 1920x1200 with medium or max visual settings and it plays very smoothly. i can even play at 2880x1800 with all low settings and it still looks great and runs pretty well.

I'm playing at native resolution on my Cinema display (1440). That's why I think I can't have all maxed out with good fps!

I normally updated my signature so you should see there my system!
Cheers

Last edited:

Cuyahoga

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
Do you guys know how to monitor the fps on the Mac version without having the options menu open? The Windows instructions for using "-perf" in the command line don't seem applicable. Thanks!

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010

I have a rMBP as well (base), and it runs at about 50-60% performance compared to bootcamp, same setting and resolution.
Certainly not ideal for a "half-competitive" game, so I have been playing through bootcamp only (doesn't take the SSD long to restart anyways).
If you insist to play on OSX, make sure your 650m is activated when you start the game. Use gfxCardStatus to check.

MacGamerHQ

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Lyon, France
I have a rMBP as well (base), and it runs at about 50-60% performance compared to bootcamp, same setting and resolution.
Certainly not ideal for a "half-competitive" game, so I have been playing through bootcamp only (doesn't take the SSD long to restart anyways).
If you insist to play on OSX, make sure your 650m is activated when you start the game. Use gfxCardStatus to check.

-50% performance is VERY SURPRISING. Are you sure it's a fair comparison? Same settings? Same resolution? Same card (maybe in Mac it pick ups the integrated card)? Same driver update on the card?
Just asking....

DragonXRose

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
Belgium
Question about system requirements

Hello,

i'm really considering to buy this game but i don't want to spend money on it unless i'm sure it'll run on my laptop.
These are my specs:
MacBook Pro
13-inch, medio 2010
Processor 2,66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Videocard NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G56)

What do you guys think? will it work or should i pass up on this (and wait till i can buy an iMac)?

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Hello,

i'm really considering to buy this game but i don't want to spend money on it unless i'm sure it'll run on my laptop.
These are my specs:
MacBook Pro
13-inch, medio 2010
Processor 2,66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Videocard NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G56)

What do you guys think? will it work or should i pass up on this (and wait till i can buy an iMac)?

It would work okay in Windows on mostly low settings at 1280x800, but with the OSX performance hit I think that laptop will struggle with the game.

If someone that has that laptop can comment I will be glad to be proved wrong but I would imagine you are looking at around 10-15fps max.

I play on mostly low settings 1440x900 on a 2011 MBP with 6750m 1GB and get 25-30fps when playing in OSX.

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
-50% performance is VERY SURPRISING. Are you sure it's a fair comparison? Same settings? Same resolution? Same card (maybe in Mac it pick ups the integrated card)? Same driver update on the card?
Just asking....

Well the best I can do is make sure the in-game settings are identical. I have no way to update the nVidia drivers on OSX, but on my Win7 bootcamp I am running the latest WHQL drivers.
I use gfxCardStatus on OSX to make sure the 650m is activated before game starts.

Cuyahoga

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
Mac Pro 3,1 (2008)
2.8Ghz quad
12GB memory
Nvidia GTX570 (1280MB)

Windows 7
1920 x 1200
Everything on high (not ultra)
~50fps. Get's down to 30fps at times, but never any stuttering.

OS X
1920 x 1200
Everything on Low, except character animation (med.)
~20fps. Playable in a pinch, but practically a different game visually than in Win7. Surprisingly, decreasing the resolution didn't really help...just made it even uglier.

I'm surprised to hear some people having OK luck in OS X with stock GPU's. I'm guessing GW2 is very CPU-intensive, and having an i7 is much better than an older Xeon.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
It sounds like this will run fine on my 2011 iMac 27" but I have some questions about the gameplay.

How well is single player leveling up supported? It is possible or is grouping required to get anything done? I like to explore and quest solo a lot of the time even though I also like groups and pvp. I don't like "needing" a group though to get to level cap. Speaking of which, what is the level cap?

Any other info about the gameplay would be great. I'm coming from playing WoW which I still enjoy very much. I might consider GW2 also though once they formally release an official (non-beta) Mac version.

Thanks!

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
It sounds like this will run fine on my 2011 iMac 27" but I have some questions about the gameplay.

How well is single player leveling up supported? It is possible or is grouping required to get anything done? I like to explore and quest solo a lot of the time even though I also like groups and pvp. I don't like "needing" a group though to get to level cap. Speaking of which, what is the level cap?

Any other info about the gameplay would be great. I'm coming from playing WoW which I still enjoy very much. I might consider GW2 also though once they formally release an official (non-beta) Mac version.

Thanks!

You can do everything solo other than the dungeons there is no need to group up for anything at all, everyone that hits a mob gets credit for a kill, gathering nodes everyone sees there own etc there is no real need to communicate with anyone.

Level cap is 80 currently.

basketball762

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2009
Would I be able to play this on my early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro? It has a 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB of RAM, and has Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB. I know this list this specs/computer as playable but will it be able to run smoothly and not choppy? I don't wanna lay down $60 to get this game only to find out it plays horrible on my computer.

macnewguy

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2010
Tested on 2012 MBA 2.0ghz i7 8G HD4000?

Has anyone tried the Mac Beta Client on the 2012 MBA 2.0ghz with i7 and 8 GB of RAM? I had mine BTO off the Apple Store website and am curious if anyone has tried to run it on the same hardware configuration.

I also have a 2010 iMac with HD 5750 which I'm sure will be able to run it admirably however I have been using my new MBA as my primary computer lately.

Would love to see it run (even on low) when they release the final build.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
You can do everything solo other than the dungeons there is no need to group up for anything at all, everyone that hits a mob gets credit for a kill, gathering nodes everyone sees there own etc there is no real need to communicate with anyone.

Level cap is 80 currently.

Thank you very much for the info, appreciate it.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Mac Pro 3,1 (2008)
2.8Ghz quad
12GB memory
Nvidia GTX570 (1280MB)

Windows 7
1920 x 1200
Everything on high (not ultra)
~50fps. Get's down to 30fps at times, but never any stuttering.

OS X
1920 x 1200
Everything on Low, except character animation (med.)
~20fps. Playable in a pinch, but practically a different game visually than in Win7. Surprisingly, decreasing the resolution didn't really help...just made it even uglier.

I'm surprised to hear some people having OK luck in OS X with stock GPU's. I'm guessing GW2 is very CPU-intensive, and having an i7 is much better than an older Xeon.

It's definitely your CPU holding you back. According to the geekbench browser the 2008 MacPro with 4x2.8GHz scores around 5700, which is about the same my old machine did, which was an Intel E8500@4050Mhz.
I now have an i5@4.3GHz (Geekbench 12000) and even in windows my FPS is doubled. I used a GTX285 and I still use the same card. I can keep 30+ FPS in large WvW battles at mostly high settings and FXAA in Mac OS, and 60 FPS+ everywhere else, except in Lions Arc where it is around 40 FPS. The GTX570 should be roughy 30% faster than the GTX285 and I'm sure you could bump settings to high in Mac OS without loss of FPS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.