Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Energy efficiency company Opower today released a study calculating the annual energy cost for charging the iPhone 5 at just $0.41. While any user's actual cost would vary based on use and electricity rates in their areas, Opower's estimate assumes a full charge once per day at a U.S. average of 11.8 cents per kWh.

But while an individual iPhone 5 uses a minuscule amount of energy, the massive popularity of Apple's devices results in significant energy demand in aggregate.
Even if we consider just the 170 million iPhone 5's that are projected to be sold globally in the next year, their aggregate electricity requirements are nothing to sneeze at. The collective annual electricity consumption of the iPhone 5's sold within 12 months will be equivalent to the annual electricity usage of 54,000 US households (roughly equivalent to the size of Cedar Rapids - the second largest city in Iowa). That's just for one smartphone model over one year.
Still, the study notes that smartphones use significantly less energy than other entertainment devices, and a shift from more traditional entertainment sources to smartphones can result in an overall benefit to energy consumption.

iphone_5_energy_use_compared.jpg

The explosion in smartphone usage is of course just one part of a surge in consumer electronics, which now represent approximately 13% of U.S. household energy usage. That growth, which comes even as the efficiency of appliances and other devices has significantly improved, has been driven by a massive increase in the kinds and numbers of devices being used in homes, from televisions to gaming systems to computers.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Costs Roughly $0.41 Per Year to Charge

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Like people are really concerned how much there cell phone costs to charge.

They are so much more concerned that it doesn't have NFC that they can't really use anywhere.

logicpro7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
London UK
Really that cheap? I would have thought more than that a week. Im in the UK though, so im not sure how much a difference elec bills would be.

Currently pay around £1000 a year here.

coredev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2012
Bavaria
I know for sure that doing my casual surfing with iPhone/iPad instead of the MacBookPro did wonders for my energy bill.
According to this, I should use the iPhone instead of the iPad more often to save even more energy.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Interesting. If I were to have taken a wild guess before I saw this article I would have guessed around 10 bucks.

CleaverF22

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2010
Useless info

Probably the most useless and irrelavent article I've read in a while. My drive to work (12 miles) in one day uses more "energy" than my iphone will ever use. Is this trying to make me feel bad that we have iphones?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It takes more to write an article on this than it does to charge the iPhone. Silly article.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Probably the most useless and irrelavent article I've read in a while. My drive to work (12 miles) in one day uses more "energy" than my iphone will ever use. Is this trying to make me feel bad that we have iphones?

No. I just thought it was an interesting comparison that most people never think about. As we've seen already in this thread, people are surprised how small the number is.

And of course larger devices use more electricity than smaller ones. But would I have guessed that an Xbox 360 used 100x more energy if I had ever really thought about it? Probably not.

Take it for what it is...a quick look at how little energy a smartphone uses and how that compares to some other stuff you have around the house. It's not good or bad unless you want to make it so.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I knew I felt guilty for charging my phone at work!!! I am stealing. :( I will apologize to my boss and put down a few $1s to cover my cellular charging for the last few years. <cries>

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
What is the cost of leaving the charger plugged in when not charging?

Extremely ... extremely minuscule. Hook it up to a Kill-A-Watt sometime. Basically, the electrical cost of a cellphone or a Macbook Air for an entire year is less than 1 visit to Starbucks. Now, x millions of cellphone users adds up but still... My 800 watt gaming computer makes me a terrible person. <cough>

Check out: http://standby.lbl.gov/summary-table.html

Looks like .26 watts? lawl

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.