Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
In a dark room, there seems to be a very visible red dot next to the speaker. Its intensity actually changes (increases when I touch the screen) and dims when not. Turns off completely when screen is off. Anyone experiencing this problem? It seems like a light leak into the infra red sensor? Anyone else seeing this?

Same issue like here http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/9/24/3385654/iphone-5-red-light

JCfromTB

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Tampa Bay, FL
I believe the proximity device is based on infrared. You will probably see a faint red light source coming from it... like when you look up at a security camera in the dark, they have those red lights emitting the IR to illuminate whatever the camera is aimed at.

mateo124

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
That is the infrared sensor. However you should not be able to see it. I only see mine when I look at the phone with a camera. If it bothers you I'd exchange it

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
I have the iPhone 4 and never seen this before. Seems like a defect to me. I arranged a genius appointment on Tuesday. Wonder what he will say.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
I fail to see how this is normal. It shouldn't be visible to the naked eye at all.

The tolerances on the wavelengths for these parts are such that with the right combination of part and person (vision is different for people too), sometimes the light is more visible.

Hold up a camera without an IR filter if you really want to see what's happening.

It's there on mine too btw, but I wouldn't call it 'very visible'. I have to check in a dark space /and/ get my screen to darken by holding something up to the sensor.

formerpc

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2009
I've seen this both on my 4 and now my 5. I thought it was normal.. maybe I'm just more sensitive to IR light. IDK.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
Ok so if it is there what problem is this causing?

It is distracting. There is a red light, although a tiny dot, on top of the screen. People are speaking about eyes and tolerance but I never seen this before and I have an iPhone 4. And that light actually flickers as I scroll.

----------

You must have never ran iOS 4.0.2 on it and used it in a dark room. That's where most people saw it.

Right. So is this a bug in iOS 6 on iPhone 5?

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
I'll ask my girlfriend if she sees the same. If she does and people here say they don't see it then I got a defective IR sensor.

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2008
I can also see it, specially at night when I'm using my phone... its kind of annoying but I think its normal. Don't know why the proximity sensor needs to be on if I'm not using the phone to call.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
As Intell said, this is normal. The genius will also say it's normal. If you by chance do get a replacement phone, it's likely to have an aesthetic defect.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
As Intell said, this is normal. The genius will also say it's normal. If you by chance do get a replacement phone, it's likely to have an aesthetic defect.

What is normal? I had a bunch of iPhones and have an iPhone 4 as well, none of them exhibit such behavior.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Since you're not believing any of us that this is normal. Bring it in to Apple have have them confirm this.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
How can I put this into words? I have an iPhone 4 right now next to the iPhone 5. When I scroll on a web page a red dot shines next to the speaker. The iPhone 4 is pitchblack. Again, it is very difficult to notice in bright light but in the dark it is very very noticeable and quite annoying as it changes as you interact with the device. I don't have this issue at all on my iPhone 4.

albertxp06

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
California
How can I put this into words? I have an iPhone 4 right now next to the iPhone 5. When I scroll on a web page a red dot shines next to the speaker. The iPhone 4 is pitchblack. Again, it is very difficult to notice in bright light but in the dark it is very very noticeable and quite annoying as it changes as you interact with the device. I don't have this issue at all on my iPhone 4.

If you have Siri enabled, Raise to Speak will keep the proximity sensor on, thus the red dot will be on. The iPhone 4 doesn't have Siri, so it's only on during phone calls.

It may be that the manufacturer Apple chose for the proximity sensor gives off more red light than the one in the iPhone 4. Either way, it's completely normal. Your iPhone is fine.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
If you have Siri enabled, Raise to Speak will keep the proximity sensor on, thus the red dot will be on. The iPhone 4 doesn't have Siri, so it's only on during phone calls.

It may be that the manufacturer Apple chose for the proximity sensor gives off more red light than the one in the iPhone 4. Either way, it's completely normal. Your iPhone is fine.

Siri is completely turned off. And so is raise to speak. And it's still there. I am not convinced that I should be able to see it in low light conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.