Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
You're wasting your time. The same thing happens on all iPhones.

This is when on a call, which makes sense. What doesn't make sense, and was the reason of my initial post, was that this light was on the whole time I'm interacting with the phone. Even with Siri turned off.

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
Seriously...

...why are people so caught up on beating up the OP and not recognizing that there is something weird going on here?

The question (for me, at least) isn't whether or not I should be able to see the proximity sensor's light.

I can see the light from it, and have been able to see it on all 5 iPhones that I've owned over the years...but only during a call.

With the iPhone 5, I can see the light on regardless of whether I am in a call or not, and I have Siri Raise To Speak turned off.

The question is why is the proximity sensor always on with the iPhone 5, but not with other iPhones?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I fail to see how this is normal. It shouldn't be visible to the naked eye at all.

Why?

Is it so bright it is hurtting your eyes or what!

It is just a sensor that turns off your screen when it detects that you phone is against you face. It is not a defect and I have, at times, seen this faint light on many of my iPhones and other devices.

It is NOT unusaly to see it with your "naked eye"! DO a search and you will see this has been discussed many, many times.

If it REALLY bothers you, take it to the Apple store and have them fix it. It is not under warranty and the cost will likely make you not hate it as much.

Sprinkz

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2017
In a dark room, there seems to be a very visible red dot next to the speaker. Its intensity actually changes (increases when I touch the screen) and dims when not. Turns off completely when screen is off. Anyone experiencing this problem? It seems like a light leak into the infra red sensor? Anyone else seeing this?
I'm
Same issue like here http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/9/24/3385654/iphone-5-red-light
[doublepost=1490711290][/doublepost]
Siri is completely turned off. And so is raise to speak. And it's still there. I am not convinced that I should be able to see it in low light conditions.
I have that red dot too

Dreii20

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2018
I have the same problem as yours. Except my iPhone is the iPhone SE and I got my screen replaced and now I have this annoying glowing red dot. When I touch my screen the red dot will appear same as yours and when Im not pressing the screen the red glowing dot will stop appearing. And my red dot is only visible in the dark same as yours. But some people said that this is normal so there’s no need to worry.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I have the same problem as yours. Except my iPhone is the iPhone SE and I got my screen replaced and now I have this annoying glowing red dot. When I touch my screen the red dot will appear same as yours and when Im not pressing the screen the red glowing dot will stop appearing. And my red dot is only visible in the dark same as yours. But some people said that this is normal so there’s no need to worry.

It is the IR sensor that tells the screen to turn off, when on a call and you phone is against your head.

Reactions: Dreii20
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.