Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
I know what I'm picking up tomorrow! I've been looking for a solid external with Thunderbolt!

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
I still have a LaCie Hard Drive from 2003... these things last forever. I definitely am getting interested, but I'm going to wait for some more of a price drop. At least Thunderbolt is in the realm of obtainable now. :cool:

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I only have one TB port, and currently my 2nd display is plugged into it.. What's the cheapest way to plug both the monitor and an external SSD in?

Wondering if I can survive with one display just for the speed boost of SSD.

frabber

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2008
The world needs low cost thunderbolt enclosures, what is taking them so long? Guess it's more difficult than it seems, or licensing issues.

Cyno

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2010
Picked one of these up at the weekend I have a air and this disk is pretty quick with the TB cable despite the disk speed itself. I had a USB version and this easily smokes it. I cant speak to quality and toughness yet but the last one was pretty good.

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
Just ordered this thru the Apple Store App on my phone this morning! Gonna pick this up after work with another Lightning cable.

lwapps

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
I'm waiting for the test video where it gets run over by a tank, blasted out of orbit and fired at by heavy artillery.

Clint007

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2011
Montréal, PQ.
I like this new La Cie

SSD Type : SATA 6Gb/s

Interface Transfer Rate : USB 3.0: 5Gb/s
Thunderbolt: 10Gb/s

Average Transfer Rate : (Thunderbolt & USB 3.0) :
SSD: 380MB/s
HDD: 110MB/s

With Thunderbolt cable INCLUDED? YESSSS ;)

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10599

----------

Didnt seagate buy lacie? That lowers the quality automatically.

If I understand your mean, Seagate will never by La Cie. It would be the opposite. La Cie is far superior in quality and it could buy Seagate easy.
But I hope it won't on neither side.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
If I understand your mean, Seagate will never by La Cie. It would be the opposite. La Cie is far superior in quality and it could buy Seagate easy.
But I hope it won't on neither side.

Umm, Seagate has already announced plans to buy LaCie. They're only waiting on regulatory approval. Seagate is also by far the larger company, being one of the three big drive manufacturers in the world. That you would think that LaCie, a small French external drive manufacturer would be a bigger company than Seagate, shows a significant lack of understanding of the market and economics in general.

jW

Clint007

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2011
Montréal, PQ.
Umm, Seagate has already announced plans to buy LaCie. They're only waiting on regulatory approval. Seagate is also by far the larger company, being one of the three big drive manufacturers in the world. That you would think that LaCie, a small French external drive manufacturer would be a bigger company than Seagate, shows a significant lack of understanding of the market and economics in general.

jW

Could be Seagate is bigger, but certainly not better. That is certain.:)

Clint007

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2011
Montréal, PQ.
Review

The good: The LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt offers great performance, USB 3.0 support, and is rugged and competitively priced.

The bad: The LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt offers just one Thunderbolt port and its SSD version offers only 120GB of storage space.

The bottom line: Fast, flexible, rugged, and affordable, the LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt is one of the best high-end portable drives on the market.

More: http://reviews.cnet.com/hard-drives/lacie-rugged-usb-3/4505-3186_7-35471740.html

========================================

Top five portable drives:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57471425-1/top-five-portable-drives-thunderbolt-meets-usb-3.0/

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Could be Seagate is bigger, but certainly not better. That is certain.:)

That's a matter of opinion, but also completely irrelevant. Quality doesn't matter when talking about one company buying another, only finances.

jW

LaCieTech

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
5400rpm drive? may as well just use USB 2.0

SSD options look nice though

Currently there are no 1TB 7200 rpm drives that meet our design qualifications, but we hope there will be soon! As for speed compared to USB 2.0, refer to this review on CNET to see how the Rugged USB 3.0 Thunderbolt performs:
http://reviews.cnet.com/hard-drives/lacie-rugged-usb-3/4505-3186_7-35471740-2.html

-TL, LaCie

----------

Different drive, and different dimensions. The one you refer to is the Rugged.

The Thunderbolt/USB version is the thinner Rugged mini.

Refer to website for details.

The Rugged USB 3.0 Thunderbolt is the newest addition to our line of Rugged hard drives. Just to clarify, it is not replacing the Rugged Mini.

-TL, LaCie

Clint007

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2011
Montréal, PQ.
Mr. La Cie, :), it is possible to get another color then orange? I already have one La Cie in orange. To be a different color code would be great. Where can we order some if any?
================================

Currently there are no 1TB 7200 rpm drives that meet our design qualifications, but we hope there will be soon! As for speed compared to USB 2.0, refer to this review on CNET to see how the Rugged USB 3.0 Thunderbolt performs:
http://reviews.cnet.com/hard-drives/lacie-rugged-usb-3/4505-3186_7-35471740-2.html

-TL, LaCie

----------

The Rugged USB 3.0 Thunderbolt is the newest addition to our line of Rugged hard drives. Just to clarify, it is not replacing the Rugged Mini.

-TL, LaCie

LaCieTech

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
Different drive, and different dimensions. The one you refer to is the Rugged.

The Thunderbolt/USB version is the thinner Rugged mini.

Refer to website for details.

Mr. La Cie, :), it is possible to get another color then orange? I already have one La Cie in orange. To be a different color code would be great. Where can we order some if any?
================================

Hi Clint007,

Depending on which Rugged hard drive you have, we offer three other colors that are compatible with LaCie Rugged USB2, LaCie Rugged USB 3.0, LaCie Rugged eSATA, and LaCie Rugged USB2 & FW 400/800. Please check our website under the "accessories" section for more info.

Thanks,

-TL, Miss LaCie ;)

Fandongo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Space
This is why Thunderbolt hasn't taken off.
Lazy half commitment.
Daisy chaining, come on!!

Portable 2x Thunderbolt RAID 0 SSDs should be commonplace by now.
So many USB devices. So few ports...and F_ Hubs.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Currently there are no 1TB 7200 rpm drives that meet our design qualifications, but we hope there will be soon!

There are 500 GB and 750 GB 7200 rpm 2.5-inch disk drives. Just check out Other World Computing (OWC):
http://www.macsales.com
LaCie has the former, but not the latter, and not with Thunderbolt for any of such sizes and rpm. Please, release them! Thanks.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Currently there are no 1TB 7200 rpm drives that meet our design qualifications

Actually, there are (from Hitachi). See the MacSales link above. The same can be said for the 4TB 7200 rpm which LaCie does not offer, yet being available since March 2012. LaCie is certainly losing big sales worldwide.

The big problem LaCie has now (after being purchased by Seagate) is that it is not free to choose the best available mechanisms as before, but is forced to use Seagate now. That is certainly not good. Seagate drives a noisy, unreliable and the best thing to lose data.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
I gotta say having the company have a legit reply on MR is great! I have the 500GB FireWire 800 / USB 3.0 drive and I love it. Unfortunetly I don't have USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt...just gotta live with FireWire for now.:(

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
If I may reiterate:

There are no 7200RPM, 2.5" drives that are 9.5mm and meet the power requirements.

The drives that do exist are 15mm and require more power than is available worse case.

There are sure to be suitable drives in the future; just not yet. If they meet the size and power requirements, then surely LaCie might consider it.

Clint007

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2011
Montréal, PQ.
Thanks Miss La Cie ;) ,

I see you have 3 different colors (Black, deep purple, deep green) but why stores are showing and selling ONLY the orange models?
We have to pay extra money ($14.99) to get those colors because it sold only in orange. If we make an order with specific color, I'm afraid it will take long time (USB2 speed) before the order arrived.:confused:

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10228

===================================

Hi Clint007,

Depending on which Rugged hard drive you have, we offer three other colors that are compatible with LaCie Rugged USB2, LaCie Rugged USB 3.0, LaCie Rugged eSATA, and LaCie Rugged USB2 & FW 400/800. Please check our website under the "accessories" section for more info.

Thanks,

-TL, Miss LaCie ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.