Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frankdogg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
253, WA
What's up guys.

After updating to 5.1, Hulu Plus fails to load the videos. I constantly get "an error occurred loading this content"

I even tried restoring the ATV3

Anyone else experiencing this? I need my Hulu. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

andrewbkillen

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
What's up guys.

After updating to 5.1, Hulu Plus fails to load the videos. I constantly get "an error occurred loading this content"

I even tried restoring the ATV3

Anyone else experiencing this? I need my Hulu. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am experiencing this as well. I was just curious if anyone had a workaround other than downgrading the firmware.

Thanks,
Andrew

LMD75

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2010
solved the problem. i just downgraded the firmware back to 5.0.2.

Did you just download the older IPSW, connect to iTunes and did an SHIFT+Restore?

I tried this an received an iTunes error 3194 and I think this is because they just stopped signing of the 5.0.2

Last edited:

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
Glad I found this thread; thought I was going insane.

Just tried a bunch of things last night to no avail until I decided to try wi-fi for the heck of it. Lo and behold: it works.

Since everything else on AppleTV appears to work without issue over ethernet, as best I can tell, I'd say this is an AppleTV-Hulu-5.1 update problem.

But whadya bet Apple's no longer signing activations for the previous firmware if I try to downgrade today?

ebnyc

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
Switching to wifi did fix the issue for me.

Same here. My ATV 3 has problems with Hulu, Photo Stream, iTunes Match using Ethernet. Netflix and iTunes Store okay. Now using WiFi connection, no issues at all. This all started after the latest iOS update. Definitely a software bug but Apple support was no help.

frankdogg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
253, WA
Did you just download the older IPSW, connect to iTunes and did an SHIFT+Restore?

I tried this an received an iTunes error 3194 and I think this is because they just stopped signing of the 5.0.2

yeah i think they stopped signing. try wifi, hopefully it fixes your problem.

OK. I'll bite.

How do you downgrade the firmware on an Apple TV 3?

Thanks,
Randy

you would have to download a previous ipsw (5.0.2) and connect the ATV to your comp and shift restore using itunes. but it looks like apple is no longer signing for 5.0.2

Switching to wifi did fix the issue for me.

glad to hear!

Tezcatlipoca

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
Cambridge, UK
No Hulu in the UK, but I've had this problem with iTunes Match via Ethernet since the v5.1 update:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1456391/

Others have found that the problem also affects MLB.tv and more.

Switching to WiFi has fixed it, as above.

I did try contacting Apple support, and had the usual unhelpful responses that I have come to expect, in which the CSR ignores/misunderstands what I have already told them and just gives links to troubleshooting pages...

I did find a thread at Apple.com though where someone from Apple had actually posted and asked people for more info on their problem and network setup:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19757237#19757237

royb @ apple.com

muchlove

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
Thanks!

Thank you!
That totally worked, went wireless and Hulu is back. odd.

Glad I found this thread; thought I was going insane.

Just tried a bunch of things last night to no avail until I decided to try wi-fi for the heck of it. Lo and behold: it works.

Since everything else on AppleTV appears to work without issue over ethernet, as best I can tell, I'd say this is an AppleTV-Hulu-5.1 update problem.

But whadya bet Apple's no longer signing activations for the previous firmware if I try to downgrade today?

rjstegbauer

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
People are saying Ethernet is the prob and that using wifi fixes the problem

Thank you for pointing me to this solution. Switching to Wi-Fi allowed me to play Hulu videos on my ATV3.

The sad part of all this is that I called *Apple* and they had no idea how to help me. I had to come here to solve this problem!

Thanks, MacRumors!!
Randy

Rushli0n

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
So my ATV2 has always been on Wifi and this happens to me on both Hulu and Netflix. Hulu more so, but it appears to be navigation specific. When I try and launch a show from my queue persay, it fails. But if I launch it from recently watched its fine

Anyone have a fix or experience this?

Last edited:

zfoster13

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2012
Hulu Plus is really screwed up since the update. Sometimes I can watch everything no problem and other times I can't watch anything. I'm on wifi and never had this problem before the update. I have no problems with Hulu Plus on any other devices. They need to fix this soon!

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
Hulu Plus is really screwed up since the update. Sometimes I can watch everything no problem and other times I can't watch anything. I'm on wifi and never had this problem before the update. I have no problems with Hulu Plus on any other devices. They need to fix this soon!

I've had the same problem and have found the same solution. Hulu works perfectly over wifi but does not play videos on ethernet.

This really needs to be addressed soon! :mad:

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
Same deal.

Doesn't anyone ever want to know WHY? I run gigabit Ethernet all over to a Aebs, and yet it doesn't work? Why are there never any networking answers?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
So my ATV2 has always been on Wifi and this happens to me on both Hulu and Netflix. Hulu more so, but it appears to be navigation specific. When I try and launch a show from my queue persay, it fails. But if I launch it from recently watched its fine

Anyone have a fix or experience this?

I have been on 5.0.2 and on wifi; I've never connected via ethernet with my ATV. I have had issues with Hulu in the past where I get that error (both trying to watch from queue and recently watched) but not as much as I do now. I am in the middle of updating the software because I have had no joy with 5.0.2. I tried ethernet for kicks and same issues occurred. It is truly annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.