Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

csHokie

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
As posted by a few other users, I went to update and I already had the 13.1 update. Hmm....

FWIW, when I went to the about page I tried to scroll down before I did the update to see the old version number but the dialog popped up, and before I hit OK I saw the version change (just saw it change to 13.1... didn't have time to see what the actual number was before). So it looks like it did what it needed to do before I hit OK and probably just needed a restart to tidy things up.

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
Ok well what about the people who's data been going thru the roof because of this? I was wondering how I used over 4GB in a week when most of the time Im on wifi.

csHokie

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
Why is the procedure so complicated? Apple products are supposed to be easy to use!

And why does the dialog box use different terminology from the text to refer to the button? This is sloppy ********.

What do you mean complicated? It's just turn off and then turn on your phone. Sure, the wording could be more succinct but they are making sure users turn the device off completely instead of locking/sleeping it. You'd be surprised how often people do the wrong thing unless you spell it out for them. Anybody that has ever had to write instructions for a group of people or taken a technical writing class can probably attest to that.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
The only thing I can think of is that this is an issue with the "Wifi + Cellular" feature that was in the iOS 6 betas that was pulled before GM release.

I know nothing about the bug itself, this is just some idea I have hypothesized.

Basically, if you were connected to WiFi but your Cellular connection was (harder/)better/faster/stronger (unsure of which, cannot remember) it would use that instead. Now, for all the people in LTE areas, I can bet that the connection was faster on Cellular LTE than most people's home internet plans (for those affected) and it went to that, using Cell data instead of WiFi. My guess is that this was enabled or left as an enabled feature and pulled from the iOS Settings, until it could be refined.

Again, just a guess.

or simply a bug that was not caught during testing, it happens.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
At&t

I ate up my data plan in 3 days with AT&T. I assumed it was the Apple podcast app. It seemed to be downloading podcasts even after I turned off 3G downloads and subscriptions. Maybe it was iOS6

Last edited:

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I haven't had problems on AT&T, but I'm not in an LTE area – is it a problem restricted to those with LTE service? I suppose that would make sense why it wasn't caught in the beta then.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I haven't had problems on AT&T, but I'm not in an LTE area – is it a problem restricted to those with LTE service? I suppose that would make sense why it wasn't caught in the beta then.

No it would not make sense anyways. Are you suggesting that Apple did not test iPhone with LTE?

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
No it would not make sense anyways. Are you suggesting that Apple did not test iPhone with LTE?

It was really just a question, as I wasn't sure. But Apple has been pretty guilty of (seemingly) not testing their products fully, otherwise things like the antenna problems in the iPhone 4 could have been avoided.

chazcron

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2012
My understanding of this is that Verizon is only patching it for iP5's, even though it appears to be an issue for anyone on IOS 6.

NM08SRT8

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Earf
Why is the procedure so complicated? Apple products are supposed to be easy to use!

And why does the dialog box use different terminology from the text to refer to the button? This is sloppy ********.

It's not hard at all.

ulis6

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2009
The same happen in Portugal on my own two iPhone 3g under TMN operator... As soon as I realized TMN was charging me .... I asked them to refund me... Answer came after 24 hours... 17€ + 7€.

softeky

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2009
AirPlay question

...snip...

EDIT: Would you all think data usage includes AirPlay? I made the mistake of showing my son how to send video to my AppleTV, so he's been doing that for the past few days.

I believe Airplay only works within your intranet (local subnet). If so, your cell carrier will never see this traffic as your phone, on LTE, will not be able to gate data through your home router. WiFi Airplay works because your router provides a local (intranet) IP address to your phone.

GS17

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2009
I think there's a problem with the AT&T phone too, my iPhone 5 seems to hang a lot on wifi, areas in my house where I never had connection issues with my time capsule and iPhone 4 now just hangs in there and either keep trying to get data or switches to LTE

HauntSlider

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2011
I think there's a problem with the AT&T phone too, my iPhone 5 seems to hang a lot on wifi, areas in my house where I never had connection issues with my time capsule and iPhone 4 now just hangs in there and either keep trying to get data or switches to LTE

I agree.. I'm sitting less than 3 feet from my wifi router (in the same place it's been for the past 2 years with my iPhone 4) and having the same issue.

qckslvrsiete

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
I know someone asked this jokingly earlier, but has anyone yet been able to accept the carrier update AND confirmed the phone is still carrier unlocked?

eeguh

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
I'm wondering for Verizon users, has this update fixed the data leak issue?

It sounds like it's more of Apple/iOS problem so I'm wondering what Verizon has done if it did fix it.

Thanks.

markdizzle

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2013
Verizon is very unethical in there practices

I'm surprised that everyone is just taking the "oh well crap happens" attitude about this. In case you guys don't know Verizon was already caught fraudulently over charging there customers at least once. They pay there petty fine and move on. I have them again now regrettably because they are my only choice for good coverage in my area and they have already tried the over charge trick on me again. My point in all this is that the data usage was probably another Verizon tactic to get more money out of their customers. Don't take my word for it look it up. People have waaaay too much trust in there corporations these days and Verizon is not one to be trusted. ; )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.