Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TimTheEnchanter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
Hopefully some dumbass judge doesn't slap a temporary freeze on iPhone 5 sales, thus delaying my order. I swear I'll throw a hissy-fit and publicly burn my Samsung TV.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Apple sues Samsung, "All right, Apple. show 'em who's boss!"

Samsung sues Apple, "That's retarded. They're just abusing the legal system!"

Sora

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
New York, NY
I still like your TV - though LG is looking good - but all this litigation...well....

Last edited by a moderator:

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Hopefully some dumbass judge doesn't slap a temporary freeze on iPhone 5 sales, thus delaying my order. I swear I'll throw a hissy-fit and publicly burn my Samsung TV.

I hope it gets a temporay sales ban.

Not because I hate Apple.

Because iSheep would flip.

And I have lots of popcorn to use up.

The fact is, these lawsuits are silly.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
So let me get this straight here.

Apple says Samsung infringed on some of its patents.

Samsung says Apple infringed on some of its patents.

Why can't the two companies get together and go "Look, we are infringing on each other's patents. Why don't we just call it even and move on with our lives, and continue making great products?"

Apple would win. Samsung would win. We would all win as the companies continued making awesome stuff.

This isn't even considering the fact that Samsung manufactures parts for Apple, so they're already business partners anyway. All this betrayal and posturing is reminiscent of gangland wars or something!

It needs to stop!

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
So let me get this straight here.

Apple says Samsung infringed on some of its patents.

Samsung says Apple infringed on some of its patents.

Why can't the two companies get together and go "Look, we are infringing on each other's patents. Why don't we just call it even and move on with our lives, and continue making great products?"

Apple would win. Samsung would win. We would all win as the companies continued making awesome stuff.

This isn't even considering the fact that Samsung manufactures parts for Apple, so they're already business partners anyway. All this betrayal and posturing is reminiscent of gangland wars or something!

It needs to stop!

Samsung would like that to happen. Apple is the one not willing to do it or when offering to do gives out completely unreasonable terms like 40 dollars per device plus cross licensing.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Interesting article that posits the patent system does more harm than good, and that it should be completely thrown out. (The side effects of NOT having a patent system would not be as bad as many think, it says.)

http://www.theatlantic.com/business...or-abolishing-patents-yes-all-of-them/262913/

Not sure I agree entirely, but given that the patent system was originally supposed to ENCOURAGE innovation, and given all we hear about these days is patent squatters just waiting for someone else to innovate so they can sue the heck out of them, I'm inclined to think the system at least needs a revision. Apple is guilty of this as well. It's an arms-race: a big company like Apple or Google or Samsung or whoever cannot afford NOT to buy up patents, even if only to avoid being sued by whoever else might buy up the patent before them.

Here's a This American Life episode about the same topic:
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/441/when-patents-attack

Ryan John

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
On what grounds can samsung sue apple for the iphone 5?

Im confused as to whats going on. :confused:

Same grounds as Apple sued Samsung "That feature looks like ours, call the lawyers".

Samsung striking back was inevitable, petty crap like, look at how the screen bounces, and your telephone icon looks a bit like ours etc are just excuses to try and ban a competitors products.

So Samsung are now going on the attack in the exact same way, instead of technologies it's now over features such as music /picture transfer and sharing, which is exactly what Apple are doing to them. Additionally they have LTE patents up their sleeve if they feel they need them.

They have seen the way a US courtroom works with regard to this, so are attacking back in the exact same way.

Most sensible head on this is Judge Richard Posner, who's calling for a total rethink of the patent system for software. Saying the current system is unworkable due to the nature of software patents being taken out as a defence mechanism solely aimed at gaining a competitive advantage.

Posner calls for patent rethink

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008

They can't do what you are saying. If other companies see that Samsung and Apple are willing to let patent infringement slide, those other companies will start violating/infringing on those patents in the hopes Samsung Apple won't pursue them. If enough companies start smelling that the tech giants aren't taking action to preserve their intellectual property, it could become a "real" problem for the tech giants, forcing them to actually go after (ie: sue) these many small companies anyway. So in the end they won't have saved any time or money. They'll still have to spend the capital and legal efforts anyway, but now they'll be suing dozens of mid-size companies instead of one giant one. Might as well centralize their efforts amongst the other big players (google, samsung, etc.). It's to their benefit to sue each other in this system.

It's analagous to the cold war between the superpowers. Sure it was scary to have the U.S. and U.S.S.R. in an arms race on the precept of mutually assured destruction. But is the situation now better (lots of smaller states providing a non-uniform and broad threat to the U.S. and each other via terrorist organizations and suicide attacks, with the U.S. having to spread its forces across the globe to play whack-a-mole)?

The tech companies don't really have a choice. The patent system needs to be revised for this to change.

cableguy619

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
waiting to see the 'copy what samsung did memo.'

oh wait that was 'copy what apple does memo', from the gift horses mouth.. doh

janderson0719

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
i hate the fact that when i wake up every morning i see my 32inch samsung television. I hate it so much that I put black tape over the logo. :apple::apple:

Don't be such a sucker to all these patent disputes.

Samsung still makes good tv's. And even refrigerators - believe it or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.