Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Then I got to Killer Croc's Lair.

Totally effing impossible.

Sigh.

I found crocs lair really easy, after i went out and bought an Xbox 360 pad, the game is just not designed to be played with keyboard and mouse, its an Xbox 360 games that they just happen to be able to re-compile the code for a PC, like most "PC" games created in the Xbox 360 era, its not a PC game, its a console game they are milking for a few extra bucks.

Last edited:

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Yay, another Unreal Engine 3 game ported well over a year late! I thought one of the reasons for using Unreal Engine 3 was the ease of portability making simultaneous releases dead easy… ?

It's a great game, though it wasn't as much of a step up from Arkham City as I'd hoped, as the story is a bit meandering and the side-missions are very distracting, especially the Victor Zsasz ones with the constantly ringing telephones. The Riddler was also very disappointing in Arkham City, as they took what was annoying about his challenges in Arkham Asylum (the long grind to find everything) and just multiplied it several times over.

So ehm… yeah, the game is definitely as good as Arkham Asylum, but it isn't really much better; the bigger environment is great, and the gameplay tweaks are fun, but the story is a mess, with Hugo Strange playing only a very minor role once you're actually into the game proper, with the Joker mostly stealing the show again. Asylum's environment wasn't quite as grand (though it was still very nice to look at) but it had a tighter story with fewer elements competing for the spotlight.

I doubt I'll bother getting it for the Mac though; there's no reason games based on Unreal Engine 3 should take so long to come to the Mac, and even less reason for them to cost full price well after everyone else has gone down to half-price or less. Better just to get it on the console as the controls are much better suited to it anyway.

hawk1410

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
Nice, Rocksteady puts decent amount of works into their ports, i am really expecting this to be good.

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
No, I play PC games because some type of games are way better with keyboard and mouse. But some really are better with controller. Sorry, but the whole gameplay of Batman Arkham City is designed for a controller like the X360 one, and it work VERY well. If you simply don't like using a controller, then don't play games that are made for controllers.

The point is, they could've easily made it playable for mouse and keyboard but they didn't. That's just lazy. They could have made it better for mouse and keyboard than would have ever been possible on a controller.

And about Killer Croc's lair, easy but just the typical sequence crap that is so often used in games nowadays. (Beating Bane, the final boss battle with Joker are other sequence fights examples)

But don't get me wrong you all, I truly loved the game! Except for those controls.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Buy a second hand 360 and a pre-owned copy of the game and experience it properly. You're going to need one hell of a pimped out Mac to run this title at anywhere near 360/PS3 quality, and this is one game that deserves to be played the way it was intended.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Old News

Seems like I played it in Bootcamp years ago now. It would be nice if games were released natively on the Mac in the same time frame they are released on the PC. Maybe in 5 years this will be the case? :rolleyes:

do1984

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2012
Once Apple traditionally keep their drivers outdated and doesn't support the latest OpenGL updates, gaming on mac is kindda lame. I've got myself a Windows 8 license through the Microsoft Dreamspark program and there is no comparison between the same game on Windows and Mac. Framerates are much much higher on Directx Windows. Base Retina Macbook Pro here.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Buy a second hand 360 and a pre-owned copy of the game and experience it properly. You're going to need one hell of a pimped out Mac to run this title at anywhere near 360/PS3 quality, and this is one game that deserves to be played the way it was intended.
Not really. An old 2.8Ghz imac with an 8800GS obliterates the 360/PS3 at Unreal3 engine games. Most more recent (non intel GPU'd) Macs will outperform the console versions easily.

If the 360 pad works on the Mac version anyway.

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Not really. An old 2.8Ghz imac with an 8800GS obliterates the 360/PS3 at Unreal3 engine games. Most more recent (non intel GPU'd) Macs will outperform the console versions easily.

If the 360 pad works on the Mac version anyway.

As does the PS3 controller :) Feral are amazing when it comes to the extra features they put into their ports.

Arkham Asylum looks, and runs much better on my iMac than it does on the PS3 or 360. I'm sure it'll be the case with Arkham City too.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Is it just me, or have an enormous number of games been coming to Macs recently?

No its not just you ,as the Macs become more noticeable in the public's eye, and as the market share increases, they are getting more and more badly wrappered, 2 year or older shovel-ware ports of the PC version of the game being sold at vastly inflated prices.

Because all developers know, Apple Owners have more money than sense, and are incapable of figuring out setting up bootcamp, and buying the games when they launch, is both a cheaper, and quicker way of getting a Superior experience.

The Exception so far being Blizzard,Valve and some Maxis games (seriously, no one else comes to mind), who code a game, and sell it so that the same disk installs both the Mac and PC version of a game, and both versions being identical in every way.

MACRM32

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2012
Portugal
No its not just you ,as the Macs become more noticeable in the public's eye, and as the market share increases, they are getting more and more badly wrappered, 2 year or older shovel-ware ports of the PC version of the game being sold at vastly inflated prices.

Because all developers know, Apple Owners have more money than sense, and are incapable of figuring out setting up bootcamp, and buying the games when they launch, is both a cheaper, and quicker way of getting a Superior experience.

The Exception so far being Blizzard,Valve and some Maxis games (seriously, no one else comes to mind), who code a game, and sell it so that the same disk installs both the Mac and PC version of a game, and both versions being identical in every way.

If I recall correctly, the Sims 3 also comes in a double format installation. Thing is, those discs are usually Cider ports (Sims is, anyway).

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
If I recall correctly, the Sims 3 also comes in a double format installation. Thing is, those discs are usually Cider ports (Sims is, anyway).

Spore was also a dual install cider port, that's because EA is lazy, Dragon Age Origins too was a lazy cider port if i remember correctly.

Starcraft 2 is native, as is World of Warcraft, Valves Half-Life and other source engine games are now native, Torchlight is Native.

Aspyers ports are semi-native, they seem to have a very good half-way between native and wrappers, Dues Ex and the Lego series work very well, but, you'll pay FAR over the going price for the PC version which runs just as well in Parallels 8, or better Under windows natively on bootcamp.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
but, you'll pay FAR over the going price for the PC version which runs just as well in Parallels 8, or better Under windows natively on bootcamp.
Sadly not true. Loads of games don't work well (or at all) under PD8 which is a shame because I hate booting into Bootcamp.
Examples are Deus Ex Human Revolution, Witcher 2, LA Noire and F1 2012.

angel2nz

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2010
DLCs in Parallels?

Great game no doubt. Play on Paralells via bootcamp, but cant get the DLC skins to come up. Downloaded the entire package of skins, even after completing the mission on normal and almost all size missions, still can't get the things to come up...any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.