Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StuartMoore

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2011
Scotland
Didn't realise these were available on the 4/4s. Now that I see they sold different outer colours on this case, I think it could be a purchase.......hopefully they sell the hard outer for the 5 separately in the near future......

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
Yeah, amazon search normally sucks, in this case even more so because it just doesn't come up for some reason. But maybe that's a good thing for you...because nobody else seems to be able to find it either. I said 13 available yesterday, but it was actually 16. I bought 1, and so 15 still available right now...unless amazon screwed up and we really have to wait till October?

Here is the link : sorry not working so removed it

If that doesn't work, then use their search using this text:
SPIGEN SGP iPhone 5 Case Bumper Protection Cover [Neo Hybrid EX] [Reventon Yellow] / Front (1) Back (1) Free Steinheil Protector Films for AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, International Unlocked

Edit: link was not working but copy & paste above text into google search and it should be the first item. That should come up as a link into Amazon.

Thanks. I was able to grab one from your info as well. It said 8 when I placed my order. Now it says 6 left. I got the Just Mobile dash mount the other day. So now I think I'll be able to stick one of the pucks from that on top of my carbon fiber skin and it will still sit flat on a desk with the bumper and also pop directly onto my car mount. I ordered with expedited shipping Amazon says between Oct 2-5. Hoping for 10/2. I dropped my phone last night, so now I want to cover up the 2 dings I put in the chamfer. :(

No Regrets

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2011
Does anyone know if the SGP GLAS.t Glass Screen Protector can be used with two piece bumper or will this glass screen protector be too thick for it to fit properly?

tsboy69

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
Does anyone know if the SGP GLAS.t Glass Screen Protector can be used with two piece bumper or will this glass screen protector be too thick for it to fit properly?

I have read too thick for most bumper type cases. YMMV.

Samz

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2008
I love my Neo Hybrid 2 for iPhone 4 because the satin silver version blended right in and made it look like my phone was caseless. For a black iPhone 5, what colour do you think would be most "invisible" since the antenna is now a darker colour... black or gunmetal?

StuLax18

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
Yeah, I'm waiting for other colors. I have this for my 4, and really like it. Plus I like that it comes with a back protector.

Does the plastic around the cutouts seem strong enough? I know the orignal broke there often. I had two outer frames come apart, but their newer model seemed much better. I'm just worried with the 5 being thinner, there is less room to strengthen the cutout areas.

cub4bearin

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
this case is terrible

Got myself one exactly like the OP... I am going to send spigen email about sending it back.. every time when I try pull my phone put of my pants pocket.. this thing simply slips out of the phone.. most the time I have to snag it back on the phone.. terrible case and waste of money for me.

If You like to adjust Your case all the time .. go ahead with it.. other wise look somewhere else..

ChakaChaka

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I've attached pics of what the back protector looks like. IMO this is currently the best bumper currently available on the market. The silicone guarantees the beveled edge won't get scratched.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349249992.920982.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349250008.715652.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349250022.355568.jpg

Jasonv2

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Whats with the bubble effects around the Apple logo and iPhone? Is that something that will come out in time or?

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
Whats with the bubble effects around the Apple logo and iPhone? Is that something that will come out in time or?

If you feel the Apple logo and iPhone text on the back of the iPhone 5, you'll notice it's raised a bit. I believe the back parts are dry installs which would make it very difficult to be perfectly flush. A wet install would probably be difficult also to not have those halos.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Carfull with that yellow edge it will get dirty and it will staind so bad from a ballpointer pen :)

What the heck are you talking about? If you don't keep a ballpoint pen uncapped in your pocket with your phone, you'll have no problems. I had the exact same case for the 4S for a full year. Case is perfectly fine.

If you feel the Apple logo and iPhone text on the back of the iPhone 5, you'll notice it's raised a bit. I believe the back parts are dry installs which would make it very difficult to be perfectly flush. A wet install would probably be difficult also to not have those halos.

Screen protectors that use a static film will have the air outline around the logo and text. Wet installs that use the sticky gunk will roll on smooth. I love the feel of static film protectors, but hate that they leave the outline on the back of the 5. It all comes down to personal pref now.

doasis23

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
I want one of these. It can be used without the front and back protectors correct?

Ntran

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011
Just got the case early this week and tried it on my phone. After a few days of use, I noted down a few things about this case for those of you who might be interested in it

Pros:

1. The case is of high quality and the black silicon bumper and the shiny yellow frame are a great fit with my Black phone. I tried put it on my wife's White phone and they don't look very good. (Black-Yellow vs White-Yellow)

2. I have the SPG Glass.t on my phone and it does not intefere with the case since the Glass, if installed properly, would stay within the silicon bumper.

3. In addition, I have no problem with connecting the cable charger or the headphone jack with this case. The holes on the case may look small but thanks to Apple innovation with their new 8pin connector, it is much easier to plug in or remove the cable from the phone, even with the case on.

4. I love the screen protectors that come with the case. I put the front protector on my wife's phone and it looks great. The tough and feeling was very much indentical to the Glass.t, I would say 80% similiar. About the 3 pieces back protector, I like the middle piece. The bubble caused bythe raised Apple and Iphone logos actually make the logos stand out and look really impressive - I absolutely love this.

Cons:

1. However, the case does not firmly fit with my phone. It feels a little bit loose, especially on the sides of the case, and that is the reason why I don't like the case and was seriously thinking of removing it and use the Bodyguardz amor instead. Don't get me wrong, and I assure that this has no thing to do with the Glass.t.

2. The top and bottom pieces of back protector: they are a little bit too small and do not fit with with the phone. After installing it, they create a 1mm gap from the side of the phone, and that looks ugly. I didn't expect them to cover 100% of the glass portions at the back of the phone, but personally I would prefer the 3 pieces back protector from Bodyguardz.

Conclusion: eventhough I was impressed with the design and quality of the case, I have been seriously thinking of removing it and instead using Bodyguardz Carbon Armor for the back of my phone. I installed the White Bodyguardz Carbon on my wife's White phone and she absolutely loves it, eventhough she a little bit hesitated at the beginning (she wanted to waited for something like Apple one piece bumper).

Hope this helps

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
Hope this helps

Thanks. This is a very good review. I would suggest you look at dbrand or icarbons instead of Bodyguardz. They are a much more accurate cut and better fit. I have the dbrand and its cut and fit are perfect.

I am waiting on my Neo Hybrid. I'm hoping that with the carbon around the sides it will fit a bit tighter. I'm not happy with any of the bumpers I've seen, but I really want a bumper style case for my phone. Right now I'm pretty frustrated with SGP though. I ordered through Amazon last Saturday, paid $6 for "expedited" shipping, and the thing just left LA last night! They claim they shipped it on Tuesday, but it didn't arrive at USPS until Thursday. Not impressed in the slightest so far. I'll stick to Amazon Prime from now on. I ordered the oleophobic SGP films on Wednesday and they are out for delivery today. I'm ready to order a different bumper with next day shipping so I know I have one tomorrow.

IconicM

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
Houston, Tx
Conclusion: eventhough I was impressed with the design and quality of the case, I have been seriously thinking of removing it and instead using Bodyguardz Carbon Armor for the back of my phone. I installed the White Bodyguardz Carbon on my wife's White phone and she absolutely loves it, eventhough she a little bit hesitated at the beginning (she wanted to waited for something like Apple one piece bumper).

Hope this helps

Thanks for the review, nicely done.

Ntran

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011
Thanks. This is a very good review. I would suggest you look at dbrand or icarbons instead of Bodyguardz. They are a much more accurate cut and better fit. I have the dbrand and its cut and fit are perfect.

I am waiting on my Neo Hybrid. I'm hoping that with the carbon around the sides it will fit a bit tighter. I'm not happy with any of the bumpers I've seen, but I really want a bumper style case for my phone. Right now I'm pretty frustrated with SGP though. I ordered through Amazon last Saturday, paid $6 for "expedited" shipping, and the thing just left LA last night! They claim they shipped it on Tuesday, but it didn't arrive at USPS until Thursday. Not impressed in the slightest so far. I'll stick to Amazon Prime from now on. I ordered the oleophobic SGP films on Wednesday and they are out for delivery today. I'm ready to order a different bumper with next day shipping so I know I have one tomorrow.

I ordered mine from Amazon as well since I have Amazon prime. But the case was shipped by SGP through USPS and it is not qualified for Prime on Amazon. I ordered it on Weds and it arrived on next Thurs.

I went with Bodyguardz because there is 50% discount promotion going on now in this forum. But I have to admit that I had a hard time installing the Bodyguardz Carbon Fiber Amor on my wife's phone using the wet installation. The cut of the protector did not perfectly fit with the phone (around 1mm short) and it's extremely difficult to position the protector. Later on I decided to wipe out the gel and did the dry install - thanks god it's much easier.

oneapple

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
I received and installed my neo hybrid ex snow series (satin silver) on my white iPhone 5 yesterday and wanted share a few quick thoughts. As background, I had an iPhone 4 with the latest neo hybrid ex and loved it.

Since I had my phone before the satin silver was available, I put a Ghost Armor back and sides on the phone. I have left it on and installed the bumper over it. It fits great. The case sits tight and there's no chance of it coming off. The best part is that since the Ghost Armor is one piece I won't have to worry about seams and it doesn't form bubbles on the back.

The only improvement that I think could be made is that the case could be a little thinner. I don't mean in thickness/durability of the plastic (which the early version of the 4 kept breaking on me). Since the iPhone 5 is thinner than the iPhone 4/4s, I was hoping the case would be thinner by a corresponding amount. However, it's the same thickness as the 4/4s so there's more room between the 5's glass/back and the top of the silicone that there is on the 4/4s (if this makes sense). It's not a big deal, but I think it looks and feels a little bit better on the 4/4s than on the 5, IMHO of course.

Otherwise, it's a great bumper case!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.