Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThunderApple

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
I've heard from many people that the side is loose WITHOUT a side skin/protection. I should be getting my bumper today and my phantom skin next week. If you really do like the case, maybe buy a skin for the skin and then apply the case to have a nice snug fit.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I've heard from many people that the side is loose WITHOUT a side skin/protection. I should be getting my bumper today and my phantom skin next week. If you really do like the case, maybe buy a skin for the skin and then apply the case to have a nice snug fit.

Yeah, let's make it even thicker! :rolleyes:

ThunderApple

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, let's make it even thicker! :rolleyes:

Explain to me how it makes it thicker? You're adding a super thin layer on the side so that the silicon stays on tighter and doesn't slip off. I don't see how that thin layer adds bulk to a case. :rolleyes:

I'll post up pictures and a review next week when I get my phantom skin.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Explain to me how it makes it thicker? You're adding a super thin layer on the side so that the silicon stays on tighter and doesn't slip off. I don't see how that thin layer adds bulk to a case. :rolleyes:

I'll post up pictures and a review next week when I get my phantom skin.

I guess what I am saying is why would someone have to *DO* something to make a case fit better. Either it fits correctly or it doesn't. This is what happends when manufacturers rush to market and then come out with an update later so to speak. Leaving early adopters to work out the problems.
I'll just wait until they make it right thank you.

gregnauman

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
Another slightly disappointed buyer here too.

Waited for the black one and received it yesterday.

My gripe is the sides pull out way too easily. This allows the grit etc. in that'll mark the delicate phone.

I guess the solid band has to be flexible enough to get on, but this then makes it too loose on the sides.

Will be keeping it on for a while but can see it driving me mad.

I do like the rear protection pieces though.

Received mine today as well and this review is spot on. Top to bottom the case is pretty snug. Side to side it does pull out rather easy.

It is a great concept, and I figured that getting ours later in the game (iphone 5 been out a few weeks) they would adjust the fitment.

The box even said iPhone 5, not new iPhone like so many early cases did so it is one that is after the initial release.

I would say its probably loose so you can get the thing on.

Unlike most bumpers it is not molded together with one corner having a stretch/elastic point to get the bumper on.

I do really like the back skin, center is matt, and top and bottom are shiny.

I really like the idea but wish somehow the fitment was a bit better.

IMHO they should have made the rubber inside portion really tight as it is stretchy but it is kind of loose even before you get the outer plastic portion on.

Im going to try it out for a week or so and see how it does. Not sure I will stay with this one or not.......

----------

I guess what I am saying is why would someone have to *DO* something to make a case fit better. Either it fits correctly or it doesn't. This is what happends when manufacturers rush to market and then come out with an update later so to speak. Leaving early adopters to work out the problems.
I'll just wait until they make it right thank you.

If they do make it better, which I was hoping for when the black one came out, they better replace mine......

If anyone gets one in the next few weeks and it fits more snug let us know.

gregnauman

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
Ive decided to sell my Soul Black Neo Hybrid Case. Its a little bit more thick than I want side to side and I would rather have a bumper a little more close to the apple bumper so it will fit into my car holder.

I did use the back protector film and will probably keep the front film as well.

If anyone wants the case Ill sell it for $20 plus shipping. That deducts 12 bucks for the film.

It was only on the phone for about 5 hours....LOL

Email me at gregnauman@comcast.net if interested and we can do paypal.

Include
Neo Hybrid EX polycarbonate frame 1PC
Neo Hybrid EX silicone bumper 1PC
Steinheil Ultra Crystal Screen Protector 1PC
Steinheil Back Panel Protection Film (Crystal & Matte Film) Used but Included
Microfiber Cloth 1SET
Home Button Stickers 1SET

Last edited:

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
I have always liked these bumpers. On the 4/4S, the hard plastic part sunk into the rubber band. Not so much with the 5 EX. Not sure if design/construction changed when Spigen took over SGP.

Addressing "looseness", I think that in order to allow installation of something that is rigid and does not stretch, there will be some give.

Nice, but could be better...

2k2tii

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Ive decided to sell my Soul Black Neo Hybrid Case. Its a little bit more thick than I want side to side and I would rather have a bumper a little more close to the apple bumper so it will fit into my car holder.

I did use the back protector film and will probably keep the front film as well.

If anyone wants the case Ill sell it for $20 plus shipping. That deducts 12 bucks for the film.

It was only on the phone for about 5 hours....LOL

Email me at gregnauman@comcast.net if interested and we can do paypal.

Include
Neo Hybrid EX polycarbonate frame 1PC
Neo Hybrid EX silicone bumper 1PC
Steinheil Ultra Crystal Screen Protector Keeping this
Steinheil Back Panel Protection Film (Crystal & Matte Film) Keeping this
Microfiber Cloth 1SET
Home Button Stickers 1SET

I would also like to sell the above for the same price. Email 2k2tii@gmail.com

Thanks!

gregnauman

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
Decided Im including the back and front screen protectors so if anyway wants the whole thing for $20 + $5 shipping. Its yours.

I took the back protectors off and stuck them to the front and back of the envelope they came in.

The front wasnt even used.

Let me know.

First person to send paypal to gregnauman@comcast.net with SPG NEO Hybrid in the subject gets it.

Thanks

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Decided Im including the back and front screen protectors so if anyway wants the whole thing for $20 + $5 shipping. Its yours.

I took the back protectors off and stuck them to the front and back of the envelope they came in.

The front wasnt even used.

Let me know.

First person to send paypal to gregnauman@comcast.net with SPG NEO Hybrid in the subject gets it.

Thanks

And the other ones just get scammed? Get one on Amazon in Reventon Yellow or Soul Black for $5 more with unused protectors and actually receive it. ;)

Last edited:

ChakaChaka

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
White plastic on black tpu and black plastic on white tpu.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350260296.233961.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350260313.683321.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350260330.233572.jpg

gregnauman

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
And the other ones just get scammed? Get one on Amazon in Reventon Yellow or Soul Black for $5 more with unused protectors and actually receive it. ;)

Amazon wont sell it for cheaper than the 32 shipped and if you dont have prime, you pay shipping.

20 bucks is 12 off the MSRP of what I paid which I feel is fair, if you don't, fine.

What do you mean scammed??? Why are people on these forums such dirtbags sometimes......

Check my ebay record if you like......gregnauman is the username.

100% perfect feedback

----------

I guess maybe Ill just return it since we have users in here causing mistrust.

Besides I can get the full amount - the shipping.

A few problems I see with this case are:

1. it is very loose fitting side to side as someone else pointed out.

2. I have fairly new bose mei2i headphones and they will not fit into the audio out port.

3. It is much more thick side to side, top to bottom than most other bumpers.

"As long as you purchased from our store directly, you can return the items back to us.
Products can be returned to our office within 30 days of the purchase date.

The products must be returned in the original packaging and with all the items included to avoid the restocking fee (minimum of $5). For example, if you purchased a case. When returning, the case must be returned with the original box and the included screen protector. It does not matter if the screen protector was used.

Don’t worry, we’ll take it back even if it is used.

Email our Customer Support at info@spigen.com to request for a refund on your product.
They will be able to provide you with the RMA form to fill out to process all Returns and Exchanges.

If you purchased from Amazon Spigen Store, you can use the Amazon Return Program or email us at
cs@spigen.com

Last edited:

ThunderApple

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
Amazon wont sell it for cheaper than the 32 shipped and if you dont have prime you pay shipping.

20 bucks is 12 off the MSRP of what I paid which I feel is fair if you don't fine.

What do you mean scammed??? Why are people on these forums such dirtbags......

Check my ebay record if you like......gregnauman is the username.

100% perfect feedback

----------

I guess maybe Ill just return it since we have users in here causing mistrust.

Ill give it a couple of days if anyone wants it and if not Ill send it back as per there policy I guess you cant lose.....

"As long as you purchased from our store directly, you can return the items back to us.
Products can be returned to our office within 30 days of the purchase date.

The products must be returned in the original packaging and with all the items included to avoid the restocking fee (minimum of $5). For example, if you purchased a case. When returning, the case must be returned with the original box and the included screen protector. It does not matter if the screen protector was used.

Don’t worry, we’ll take it back even if it is used.

Email our Customer Support at info@spigen.com to request for a refund on your product.
They will be able to provide you with the RMA form to fill out to process all Returns and Exchanges.

If you purchased from Amazon Spigen Store, you can use the Amazon Return Program or email us at
cs@spigen.com
You really can't expect people on forums to trust a random user in requesting to send money through Paypal. Not saying you're not trust worthing because if I haven't ordered mine already I would have bought yours but this is the internet.

Also, good luck on getting them to go through with a refund. They have SUPER SLOW customer service. My GlasT had a bad adhesive. I emailed them, got a respond 4 days later and they asked me to send pictures. I did and it's been a little over a week with no reply again. Returning stuff and getting a refund from them is a pain.

gregnauman

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
You really can't expect people on forums to trust a random user in requesting to send money through Paypal. Not saying you're not trust worthing because if I haven't ordered mine already I would have bought yours but this is the internet.

Also, good luck on getting them to go through with a refund. They have SUPER SLOW customer service. My GlasT had a bad adhesive. I emailed them, got a respond 4 days later and they asked me to send pictures. I did and it's been a little over a week with no reply again. Returning stuff and getting a refund from them is a pain.

Paypal is pretty good about protecting people. But whatever.......

I would guess you are right about the slow service. I emailed them yesterday and still no response.

Luckily I have 30 days......

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
My case arrived and it caused bubbling of my Best Skins Ever around a couple corners and looks like I might have to take it off. I can use the ones that came with the case but it doesn't cover quite as much on the back as the BSE.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
My case arrived and it caused bubbling of my Best Skins Ever around a couple corners and looks like I might have to take it off. I can use the ones that came with the case but it doesn't cover quite as much on the back as the BSE.

Thats because the one that came with it is cut for use with a case, and the BSE is not.

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2010
I bought the SGP Crystal Mix protector for my iphone 5. Now I think I want a bumper...I haven't installed the protector yet so should I try to return it since the bumpers come with a protector? Are there any metal bumpers that don't affect reception?

magnificent me

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2010
London
Another slightly disappointed buyer here too.

Waited for the black one and received it yesterday.

My gripe is the sides pull out way too easily. This allows the grit etc. in that'll mark the delicate phone.

I guess the solid band has to be flexible enough to get on, but this then makes it too loose on the sides.

Will be keeping it on for a while but can see it driving me mad.

I do like the rear protection pieces though.

Isn't that the case with all bumpers? I bought this very tight Gear4 "band" bumper which was roughly the same price as the sgp neo hybrid. It didn't come with screen protectors or any extras. Putting it on was hell. I did it extremely slowly because it was so darn tight and I was scared of scratches. My brother had the same band and said his band was loose around the long parts of the phone. A few days later I had a problem with my phone and had to book a genius bar appointment. When I took my band off it had scuffed my phone almost everywhere around the aluminium parts.

I ordered the sgp neo hybrid because I wanted something that wasn't too tight and prevented scratches (and also covered the white plastic bezel between the glass and aluminium to prevent lint collection). I was amazed by the quality of the dual bumper. It feels safe and sterdy. Sure it's looser on the long parts but so was my tight gear4 band. It's just the mechanics of these things otherwise they won't fit.

I really like the stickers that came with it. It's all round protection and you get to change colours. I haven't used sgp before but hey it gets the thumbs up from me. Very pleased with the bumper. I might upload pictures later on.

I bought the SGP Crystal Mix protector for my iphone 5. Now I think I want a bumper...I haven't installed the protector yet so should I try to return it since the bumpers come with a protector? Are there any metal bumpers that don't affect reception?

The neo hybrid bumper came with back protector (3 parts) and front protector. I am not sure about metal bumpers. Hope that answers a part of your question =)

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
An update after using it for a few days.

Starting to like it as the loose sides haven't caused me any issues.
I keep it in a wallet and pull it out by the phone rather than the bumper and had no probs.

Will keep on using it for the time being, though the Switcheasy Tones is tempting me. :p

soshibo

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2011
i have both the bumper and the switcheasy tones case. i haven't reinstalled the bumper once, even to try and get myself to like it. tones is too good.

and i'm still waiting for spigen to return my email inquiry about a return + refund... sad.

An update after using it for a few days.

Starting to like it as the loose sides haven't caused me any issues.
I keep it in a wallet and pull it out by the phone rather than the bumper and had no probs.

Will keep on using it for the time being, though the Switcheasy Tones is tempting me. :p

ChakaChaka

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
i have both the bumper and the switcheasy tones case. i haven't reinstalled the bumper once, even to try and get myself to like it. tones is too good.

and i'm still waiting for spigen to return my email inquiry about a return + refund... sad.

I bought the switcheasy tones as well.

I think the tones is a great case but it has its downfalls. The first is its difficult for me to take my phone out of the case. Secondly the mute switch opening is too small. Lastly I worry about debri and dust working its way to the back of the phone causing scratches.

With the neo hybrid case, I don't have to worry about scratches cause the inner part is all soft tpu rubber.

I never ever drop my phone so bumper protection is plenty good enough for my uses. The main reason I even put a bumper on is cause I feel I get a better grip on the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.