Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Here we are using premium top of the line computers. Why someone would avoid buying highly useful software just because it was once free, is baffling.

I expect to pay, to play.

After all, I certainly don't work for free, nor do I allow discounts :)

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Ding Ding Ding..

I've used CCC several times to clone my backup HD to backup2 HD. Great program, but it's not free anymore. Is there any other program I can get for free to do the same job?

Agreed with MANY above.. C'mon.. :eek:

If you HAVE used it previously as stated, and Liked It since you say it was GREAT, give the poor folks some money..
I think it is Well Worth It.. and only $40 and does MORE than ever!!

http://download.cnet.com/Carbon-Copy-Cloner/3000-2242_4-10169677.html

Last edited:

zjazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
I'll definitely consider buying this program. I don't use it often though. Once in a while, but I don't mind paying for it in case I'll use it on a regular basis, it's a great program!:)

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
I trust them..

Why the link from CNET and not the official one? Just curious.

No real reason except I have always Liked and Trusted 'Download.com' and they tend to have Links to the Original and other Programs they Offer, and a record of how many others have downloaded it as well ~ ~ which, to be honest, may or may not actually help you decide if it may be worthwhile!! :p

And also there are often fairly 'Unbiased Reviews' in case a person is thinking of Downloading a program and they may want to peruse these first as well..

Certainly I have never had a problem with them, but if anyone has and could convince me, I could be 'swayed away'.. fairly easily.. :)

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Its a great program I use it all the time but I don't really want to pay for it...LOL ok you boss appreciates you work and wants you to continue coming in but doesn't really want to pay you..

You got a discount by the way if you paid (donated) when you didn't have to.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Here we are using premium top of the line computers. Why someone would avoid buying highly useful software just because it was once free, is baffling.

I expect to pay, to play.

After all, I certainly don't work for free, nor do I allow discounts :)

I've seen some great ones on here....

*Stripped screw on rMBP, buying $8 bag of screws is too expensive

* Refuse to pay more than $30 for a case

*Refuse to spend more than $30 on backpack/messenger bag

*I want to buy a iPhone but can't afford the contract

ccsicecoke

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
$40 is a rip off. Any software that aims to individual market and is sold higher than the OS is rip off. That includes Aperture 3

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
$40 is a rip off. Any software that aims to individual market and is sold higher than the OS is rip off. That includes Aperture 3

Developers work hard at producing quality applications - its foolish to think that its not worth it because its more expensive then the operating system.

Take Photoshop, lightroom, Aperture and many games in the MAS are more expensive then what apple is charging ML.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
It wasn't free before ... you were supposed to donate to the author if you found it valuable to you, otherwise just delete it. It was on the honor system. :cool:

Apparently, not enough users did the honorable thing and paid for their usage, so he now charges for it, although you can still try it for free.

It is a good program, well supported, and worth the minimal cost he is charging! :)

-howard

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It wasn't free before ... you were supposed to donate to the author if you found it valuable to you, otherwise just delete it. It was on the honor system. :cool:
The honor system is used for shareware. Donationware on the other hand, has an optional donation if the given program is useful

From wikipedia:
Donationware is a licensing model that supplies fully operational unrestricted software to the user and requests an optional donation be paid to the programmer or a third-party beneficiary (usually a non-profit). The amount of the donation may also be stipulated by the author, or it may be left to the discretion of the user, based on individual perceptions of the software's value. Since donationware comes fully operational (i.e. not crippleware) when payment is optional, it is a type of freeware.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City

I can tell you, CCC has saved my butt NUMEROUS times. I have cheerily paid their fee, as the alternative would have been years of lost memories, irreplaceable work, the ability to get back up and running in literally 1 minute, etc. I keep multiple backups, use TM, and even then, I have had to rely on my clone as the last good working copy of my OS. They continually update their product, have great tech support, and can even clone the reinstall boot partition. It's well worth $40 to me.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I will probably end up paying for it...however, I am tempted to wait until v4.0 comes out since Bombich has said that there will be "upgrade fees" for new versions and I don't want to buy something for $40 and have it outdated almost right away.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I still have the older free version and I don't need some of the newer features that the paid option offers. I'll wait until v 4.0 hits the streets before plunking down the $$.

I will say its a great app that has saved me on numerous occasions - it is a bit pricey though

Handyman1

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
+1 for SuperDuper! I've used it for years and it works great. It is extremely fast, and was recently updated for even more speed.

I think you can use it for free indefinitely, which is great if you only make a full image backup occasionally, but to get the speedy incremental backup feature you pay $28.

TimeMachine is still great too, and I use both (and BackBlaze too, for offsite backup).

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I think you can use it for free indefinitely, which is great if you only make a full image backup occasionally, but to get the speedy incremental backup feature you pay $28.
CCC is free for versions 3.4.6 and earlier, there is no charge for incremental backups, and unlike SuperDuper!, CCC backs up the OS X recovery partition. Of course, use whatever works for you.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
Reviving an old thread on Carbon Copy Cloner ...

I have no problem paying $40 for the software that works very well, but my issue is that I have several computers and the license appears to be "individual" which, to me, means per computer. Is that right? I will not pay $120 for backup software for my household. Not gonna happen. Am i reading "individual" wrong?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Reviving an old thread on Carbon Copy Cloner ...

I have no problem paying $40 for the software that works very well, but my issue is that I have several computers and the license appears to be "individual" which, to me, means per computer. Is that right? I will not pay $120 for backup software for my household. Not gonna happen. Am i reading "individual" wrong?

You can install it on any computer "you own or control" with just one license.

richnyc

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2012
NYC
I'll definitely consider buying this program. I don't use it often though. Once in a while, but I don't mind paying for it in case I'll use it on a regular basis, it's a great program!:)

That's the thing, I wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost... But if it goes on sale for something like $19.95, I'll bite;)

steveoc

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
Adirondacks NY
I discovered that since I donated $10 years ago, that the new version was free. All I had to do is produce a record of the donation. Had everyone made a small donation…

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I discovered that since I donated $10 years ago, that the new version was free. All I had to do is produce a record of the donation. Had everyone made a small donation…

Same with me. I had previously donated (I think $20)... and I got the upgrade for free.

/Jim

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
I occasionally use CCC, and I'm sorry to hear about the new price tag. I'd agree with many here that $20-$25 would be a much more palatable price. While it may be true that the advanced features of CCC are worth $40, by pricing it for the advanced features the author is cutting off the portion of the audience that would use it for more minor tasks. As this audience is almost certainly many times the size of the advanced user audience, this does strike me as a marketing mistake.

My analysis, in "numbers"

Assume that <basic users>=3x<advanced users>

At a price point that <basic users> won't buy ($40):

Income=$40x<advanced users>

At a price point that <basic users> will buy ($20):

Income=$20x(<advanced users>+<basic users>)=$20x(<advanced users>+3x<advance users>)=$60x<advanced users>

Of course, it's not quite as simple and straight forward as that. But it gets my point across, I think.

For me, I'm a basic user and I'll keep using the older version. Perhaps if CCC shows up in one of those bundles, I'll get a newer version that way.

*I want to buy a iPhone but can't afford the contract

To be fair, the required data contract is quite expensive. I'd be quite happy to buy a used, unlocked iPhone (i.e. no subsidy) to have the functionality, then keep the cell data off, but even then the phone company says that they require a data plan. That's where I balk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.