Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Prior to Apple's patent trial win over Samsung, the company was awarded an injunction by Judge Lucy Koh barring U.S. sales of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone. As noted by The Next Web, a federal appeals court today reversed the ban on the grounds that Apple would not be sufficiently harmed by the alleged infringement.

NewImage15.png
The appeals court found that the feature was indeed not integral to the success of the Galaxy Nexus, ruling that the lower court "abused its discretion" in issuing the original injunction. The Next Web notes:
The preliminary injunction on the Samsung smartphone had been granted as of June 30th by U.S. District Court Judge Lucy Koh, who eventually conducted the Apple v. Samsung patent trial. The ruling was based primarily on the 8086604 patent, which is defined as a "universal interface for retrieval of information in a computer system." The full patent appears to relate to a unified search tool that can be used to find a variety of different items via one indexed database. This could also refer to a unified spoken word interface like Siri, or Google's voice search.

At the time, Koh said that "Apple has articulated a plausible theory of irreparable harm" due to a "long-term loss of market share" and "losses of downstream sales."
The appeals court, however, disagreed with Koh's ruling that Apple had shown adequate threat of irreparable harm.

Samsung and Google developed a software workaround or the patent in question and deployed it shortly after the injunction went into effect. With the ban now lifted, the workaround appears to no longer be necessary. The full order [PDF] is available from the U.S. Courts website.

Update 11:51 AM: Our initial report seems to have generated some confusion over the exact rationale for the appeals court's decision to overturn the injunction. The appeals court ruled that Apple did not sufficiently show that sales of the Galaxy Nexus benefited from the inclusion of the unified search feature that is the subject of the patent. Given that view, the lower court was ruled to have overstepped its bounds in issuing the injunction on the belief that Apple would be caused irreparable harm by allowing sales of the Galaxy Nexus to continue.
In other words, it may very well be that the accused product would sell almost as well without incorporating the patented feature. And in that case, even if the competitive injury that results from selling the accused device is substantial, the harm that flows from the alleged infringement (the only harm that should count) is not.
The appeals court's decision was not based upon Samsung's earlier argument that sales of the Galaxy Nexus had been so "minuscule" as to not be a threat to Apple. We have also removed a quote from The Next Web's report that when taken out of context suggests that this was at least a partial reason for the overturning of the injunction.

Article Link: Appeals Court Overturns Sales Ban on Samsung Galaxy Nexus

urbanslaughter1997

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
eh, who cares really? I think it was a big win that they got the injunction in the first place, but having it reversed is not a big deal and probably won't get much news coverage anyway.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
In the aftermath of Apple's patent trial win over Samsung, the company was awarded an injunction by Judge Lucy Koh barring U.S. sales of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone.

Hum, this is wrong. The injunction was granted in another lawsuit not related to Apple's current win in their original suit. And also, it was granted before the August trial, back in June, so not exactly "In the aftermath".

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
What

its agianst the law but its ok cause no one will buy them so does that mean it they sell a lot of them they can revisit?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
So it's a big deal when Apple "wins" - but when that win is overturned - who cares? Interesting.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
So basically, it doesnt matter if you steal someone else's property, as long as you are making very little money from it.

Makes sense.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I'll never understand how a court of law can make a decision only for the appeals court to change that decision.

Shouldn't the original judge now be fired or something? What makes the appeal court more correct than the original court?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
So basically, it doesnt matter if you steal someone else's property, as long as you are making very little money from it.

Makes sense.

No that's not at all what the overturn is about. Just because MR put in the comment about sales in the article doesn't mean it had anything at all to do with the reversal.

TrentS

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Overland Park, Kansas
What?!!

Too bad if your sales are in the dumps. Your product still should be banned if it is not fully legal, patent-wise. Samsung should just get out of the tech business and start building toilets or something.

:) :) :)

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
its agianst the law but its ok cause no one will buy them so does that mean it they sell a lot of them they can revisit?

What's against the law ? There has been no verdict in the lawsuit in which the Galaxy Nexus is listed.

----------

Makes sense.

Makes sense since no one was found guilty of infringement in this lawsuit. The MacRumors story is confused.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Why isn't this phone selling?

This phone barely scratched the surface, it only counts for less than 0.5% of the smart phone market, to be honest I am surprised.

Of all the bloatware-loaded Samsung (and other vendors) phones, Nexus provides 'pure' Android experience, which according to many is the best experience. The phone comes with 'just right' mid-level specs (for example, HSPA+ rather than LTE, but still fast) and is as universal as it gets (it works seemlessly with AT&T and T-Mobile). and a KILLER price of $350 unlocked, free on contract. Why did it not sell?

I think Samsung themsleves did it out of some sort of a previous deal or obligation, they wanted it to fail.

the read

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
I'm happy Apple have not succeeded at this.

Samsung and Google have a great product and we all deserve the choice to buy it if we want.

Competition is great. My money is going on Samsung for my next phone. 4 years on iOS has been disappointing to say the least.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Too bad if your sales are in the dumps. Your product still should be banned if it is not fully legal, patent-wise. Samsung should just get out of the tech business and start building toilets or something.

:) :) :)

Apple wouldn't be able to sell iPhones then either. Klausner patent's on Visual Voice mail caused them grief, the September 14th ITC decision ruled that they need to pay for FRAND patents to Samsung because patent exhaustion doesn't come into play, etc..

In these industries, no one is white, everyone infringes on someone else's patents, just by the sheer number of patents covering such a wide breadth of technology out there.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Appeals are usually heard by a panel of 3 judges.

Kind of makes me think that one the last day, two extra judges should sit in on a case, then.

I'm more worried about the fact the first judgement was wrong!

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Shouldn't the original judge now be fired or something? What makes the appeal court more correct than the original court?
Being "correct" has nothing to do with it since that's subjective at best. Judges are only human and pass down "opinions".

I for one am glad the U.S. has an appeals process.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I'm happy Apple have not succeeded at this.

Samsung and Google have a great product and we all deserve the choice to buy it if we want.

Competition is great. My money is going on Samsung for my next phone. 4 years on iOS has been disappointing to say the least.

ok bye

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Hum, this is wrong. The injunction was granted in another lawsuit not related to Apple's current win in their original suit. And also, it was granted before the August trial, back in June, so not exactly "In the aftermath".

I agree. This is wrong. Care to have the original article here fixed?

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
This phone barely scratched the surface, it only counts for less than 0.5% of the smart phone market, to be honest I am surprised.

Of all the bloatware-loaded Samsung (and other vendors) phones, Nexus provides 'pure' Android experience, which according to many is the best experience. The phone comes with 'just right' mid-level specs (for example, HSPA+ rather than LTE, but still fast) and is as universal as it gets (it works seemlessly with AT&T and T-Mobile). and a KILLER price of $350 unlocked, free on contract. Why did it not sell?

I think Samsung themsleves did it out of some sort of a previous deal or obligation, they wanted it to fail.

When the Nexus first got released, it was the best Android phone.

However, Samsung have significantly improved their UI, beyond what a 'pure' google handset would offer. Its a lot more user friendly (mostly copied from Apple), whilst retaining the customisation of Android.

I'd actually struggle to go back to any non Touchwiz android device now. They're just so much more fluid and appealing compared to stock android.

Plus theres not a single crappy software button in sight. Real buttons ftw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.