Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doju

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Looking at my Applications folder, I have no duplicate applications, yet when I right click files the Open With dialog often has a massive list of applications full of duplicates.

MI3dd.png

Why is this?

(OS X 10.8.2)

Last edited by a moderator:

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
A cache file has been corrupted. You can reset the cache file with a simple /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and at the first Terminal prompt put in the Terminal code (after you quit all Applications):

Code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

After you let the Terminal program run and know it reset the cache you will know it is finished when you get another Terminal prompt. Then you can close Terminal and the right click for applications will work correctly again. Good Luck.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
A cache file has been corrupted. You can reset the cache file with a simple /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and at the first Terminal prompt put in the Terminal code (after you quit all Applications):

Code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

After you let the Terminal program run and know it reset the cache you will know it is finished when you get another Terminal prompt. Then you can close Terminal and the right click for applications will work correctly again. Good Luck.

Thanks! This works fine.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Interestingly enough, while the cache file can be reset successfully, it becomes corrupt again after days or weeks of usage. Even more strange, it only becomes corrupt again on a 13" MBP running 10.8.2 but not on a 24" iMac running the same software.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
The Terminal fix worked for me on a 27" 2011 iMac. It's worth noting that even the Finder must be relaunched for the change to take full effect - you really DO have to quit everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.