Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Graig

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I installed this a few minutes ago and found that Java Preferences was no longer in my Utilities Folder. Anyone else have this problem?

Graig

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Can you make this a bit clearer for me, I don't understand. why they would do this. What will happen if one wants to install Java 7 update 7?

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Go to java.com, click on "Downloads" on the red Java bar, then click on "All Java downloads" at the left. Java 7 is only available for OS X 10.7.3, or above.

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
Apple has already stated that it will stop supporting Java directly for Mac OS and 1.6.x will be the last version supported by Apple. All future Java updates and releases, 1.7.x, will require us users to download it from Oracle directly. http://www.java.com

cntwtfrmynwmbp

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012
Hi

Unfortunately I need Java for an app.

For security reason, every time I had to use that app I activated Java in "Java Preferences" and deactivated it again after usage.

After this update the Java Preferences are gone and it appears that I can't stop running Java system wide. (As now the mentioned app starts without the need of activating Java first).

Just to be sure: I'm on the safe side if I have deactivated the Java Plugin in all my browsers?

Thanks for an answer.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
why they would do this.

Before, it was up to Apple to push latest Java updates. Therefore, important security fixes was often delayed on OSX, because Apple had to push them.

Now, they've stated that you should download directly from the Java website, so you're always 100% up to date.

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
Has it removed java from my computer? If I type java -version in terminal, i get the following.

Code:
java version "1.6.0_37"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_37-b06-434-11M3909)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.12-b01-434, mixed mode)

What does this mean ?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi

Unfortunately I need Java for an app.

For security reason, every time I had to use that app I activated Java in "Java Preferences" and deactivated it again after usage.

After this update the Java Preferences are gone and it appears that I can't stop running Java system wide. (As now the mentioned app starts without the need of activating Java first).

Just to be sure: I'm on the safe side if I have deactivated the Java Plugin in all my browsers?

Thanks for an answer.

You do not need to disable the Java Virtual Machine... as it is only used for running local Java apps and it not a security concern.

The security issue is with the Java web plugin. This Apple update diabled the Apple provided Java 6 web plugin leaving the Java 7 web plugin alone (if you had it). Just turn off Java in the browser prefs and you are safe.

Has it removed java from my computer? If I type java -version in terminal, i get the following.

Code:
java version "1.6.0_37"

What does this mean ?

No... this update only removed the Java web plugin, not the Java virtual machine you are seeing with the command.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
You do not need to disable the Java Virtual Machine... as it is only used for running local Java apps and it not a security concern.

The security issue is with the Java web plugin. This Apple update diabled the Apple provided Java 6 web plugin leaving the Java 7 web plugin alone (if you had it). Just turn off Java in the browser prefs and you are safe.

No... this update only removed the Java web plugin, not the Java virtual machine you are seeing with the command.

Any idea on how to get the web plugin to point back to the 1.6 version as I'm finding a lot of apps I use (primarily Cisco UCS console and HP ILO) are not working with version 1.7.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Any idea on how to get the web plugin to point back to the 1.6 version as I'm finding a lot of apps I use (primarily Cisco UCS console and HP ILO) are not working with version 1.7.

I have tried it myself, but this looks like it would work by creating a symlink back to the old version.

cntwtfrmynwmbp

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012

Ok, thanks a lot!

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
I have tried it myself, but this looks like it would work by creating a symlink back to the old version.

That didn't help. Applets are still stating to download the JRE. Is there any way to modify what the Java Web Start app uses? I noticed that a couple of my jnlp shortcuts open with "Java Web Start". When I'm trying to point it to 1.6 it opens and prompts to download a JRE, but when 1.7 is loaded it launches fine but actual applet then complains about the version of the JRE.

S.L.

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
USA
When turning off Java for Safari, you don't get that annoying "refresh" problem when two finger swiping back and forth between pages. Is there any way to prevent this annoyance while keeping Java on? Or is this an annoyance that can be addressed by tweaking Java?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So we now have the plugin for version 7 and the virtual machine for 1.6.0_37 ?

This update from Apple removes the 1.6 web plugin while leaving the 1.6 virtual machine. If you install Java from Oracle you will get the 1.7 plugin and the 1.7 virtual machine. This will still leave the 1.6 virtual machine in place also.

Graig

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2009
Vancouver, BC
This update from Apple removes the 1.6 web plugin while leaving the 1.6 virtual machine. If you install Java from Oracle you will get the 1.7 plugin and the 1.7 virtual machine. This will still leave the 1.6 virtual machine in place also.

Should I be installing the Java 7 up9 SDK then? It seems many are only installing the JRE.

Graig

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Unless you are developing Java apps or need the Java troubleshooting tools it provides, there is no need for you to install it.
Why is this displayed then in Terminal and not the info for version 7? Ive read in another forum that the SDK will fix that. I can give you a link to that if you need to read it.

Code:
java version "1.6.0_37"

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Unless you are developing Java apps or need the Java troubleshooting tools it provides, there is no need for you to install it.
Why is this displayed then in Terminal and not the info for version 7? Ive read in another forum that the SDK will fix that. I can give you a link to that if you need to read it.

Code:
java version "1.6.0_37"

Because the 7 JRE only installs the web plugin and leaves the default 1.6 used for applications alone. The security risks in the news all relate to the web plugin.

If you install the 7 JDK that will give you 1.7 for local applications also. Just be aware it can break local applications. For example I use Crashplan for backup and installing the 7 JDK along with the latest Apple update (which removed the Java preferences app) broke the Crashplan app. Crashplan released a workaround that involved manually editing a .plist file to point the app back to the old 1.6 version of Java for applications.

Graig

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2009
Vancouver, BC

Because the 7 JRE only installs the web plugin and leaves the default 1.6 used for applications alone. The security risks in the news all relate to the web plugin.

If you install the 7 JDK that will give you 1.7 for local applications also. Just be aware it can break local applications. For example I use Crashplan for backup and installing the 7 JDK along with the latest Apple update (which removed the Java preferences app) broke the Crashplan app. Crashplan released a workaround that involved manually editing a .plist file to point the app back to the old 1.6 version of Java for applications.

Thank you for explaining this. It's been hard trying to get an answer, but how will the default 1.6 will be updated in the future? Sorry for so many questions but I like to know what I am doing before the plunge as it can save a lot of problems when it's too late. I appreciate your help.

Last edited:

LukeWorm

macrumors member
May 8, 2010
France

From the java.com download page: "installing Java 7 will disable the ability to use Apple Java 6 on your system." I read it to mean all of Java 6, not just the plugin.

cedwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Canada
Yeah, I'm getting screwed up as well. Now that I have installed Update 9, one of the sites I use requires 32 bit Java, but now I can't figure out how to switch it from 64 bit. Does V7U9 only run in 64 bit??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.