Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
This has happened twice in the last day....

I slide to unlock, and the screen goes dark, Apple logo shows up for 5 secs, then I see my normal homescreen?

Is it a bug in 6.0? Is it my phone? Never seen this before til yesterday/today....

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
I had it once, but nothing actually happened besides the Apple Logo and bumping me back to the lockscreen. Could be a bug.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
This has happened twice in the last day....

I slide to unlock, and the screen goes dark, Apple logo shows up for 5 secs, then I see my normal homescreen?

Is it a bug in 6.0? Is it my phone? Never seen this before til yesterday/today....

Ehhh sounds like a major glitch. I have not heard of this happening. Check your diagnostic log files for anything suspicious. Make sure to save them if you see anything weird to show a Genius. I would try a full restore and see if that works, if not then a visit to the Apple store would be the next plan of attack. Unless you are cool with it. There is an updated version of iOS 6 coming out in the next week or two so it might be worth waiting for that to see if that fixes your issue.

Sometimes Apple Geniuses won't replace phones that are experiencing software glitches if there is a software update looming on the horizon.

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
There's an invisible app called "Springboard" that presents your home screen. This experience means springboard has crashed and restarted. Probably a bug. Apple will tell you to erase and restore before they consider whether it's a hardware fault.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
I checked diagnostic and it says springboard crash. Its funny....I started fresh install. So maybe a software bug? With 6.01 around the corner, I won't go nuts over it, if 6.01 comes and it still does it, then I will make an appointment.

tucker3434

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
Happened to me today as well. I also get a weird line of flashing pixels whenever I'm asked to enter me apple password. Hopefully it's just a software glitch.

Abandapart82

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2008
I checked diagnostic and it says springboard crash. Its funny....I started fresh install. So maybe a software bug? With 6.01 around the corner, I won't go nuts over it, if 6.01 comes and it still does it, then I will make an appointment.

How did you check diagnostic?

i1280

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2012
Got mines coming tomorrow!! Can't wait...hopefully it's a minor glitch...

SnowDX

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
The Great White North
This has happened to my daughter at least twice. Phone was setup as backup from iCloud from her iPhone 4. Not sure she'd be happy setting up as new and losing all her settings and app data. Would restoring from her now iPhone 5 backup be worth a shot? Or because the 5 backup was originally from a 4, it won't do any good?

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
This has happened to my daughter at least twice. Phone was setup as backup from iCloud from her iPhone 4. Not sure she'd be happy setting up as new and losing all her settings and app data. Would restoring from her now iPhone 5 backup be worth a shot? Or because the 5 backup was originally from a 4, it won't do any good?

My iphone was fresh, I started new and it still did it. I think its iOS6 glitch and my friend who works at apple in chicago told me that I should patiently wait for 6.01 and if it happens after, I should go get a replacement. I am fine waiting, it seems to be software, hasn't happened since.

Also, diagnostic list is settings, general, about, diagnostics at bottom, and click to see the reports, crashes, etc.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Mine did that too as soon as I got it as I was taking a picture from slide up lock screen straight out of the box set up as new, then I did a dfu restore and restored from backup I had on a previous white iphone 5 and 12 days later did it accessing photos or something possibly with camera slide up taking a photo can't remember.

Glad I'm not the only one its happening to

My screen is so perfect I hope/want to think because its occurring it might be a bug.

Jailbreak bugs cause springboard to act weird in certain circumstances too

For people who are having the apple logo (respring) what are you doing on the phone up until that point?

Last edited:

SatManager

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Las Vegas
I have been getting random lockups with my iPhone 5 and have to reboot the phone holding down the power button and the home button. My friend who has an iPhone 4S with iOS 6 has been having the same problem since the phone was upgraded to iOS 6. I am hoping that the version upgrade coming soon solves the problem. Anyone else having this problem?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I have been getting random lockups with my iPhone 5 and have to reboot the phone holding down the power button and the home button. My friend who has an iPhone 4S with iOS 6 has been having the same problem since the phone was upgraded to iOS 6. I am hoping that the version upgrade coming soon solves the problem. Anyone else having this problem?

Can you elaborate on this?

At what point does it lock up?

I really really hope whatever is going on with other peoples phones is similar to mine and just a glitch, I don't want to do the swap game anymore!

dfinecy

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
Happened to me last night...the second time since I've had my 5...hope it gets fixed with the next ios update

dfinecy

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
Yeah me too. What happened right before you saw this happen?

Nothing really...I was watching tv and went to check my phone, hit the home button and swiped to unlock it and it went to the apple logo screen. Hasn't happened since last night though.

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
Hmmm 6.0.1 doesn't say anything about fixing this :/

They usually don't list all the bug fixes in the notes, just the most notable ones.

I've had the Springboard crash issue happen to me a few times now. Seems to happen when free memory is getting low but I haven't really pinned down a cause. Maye the update will help.

SatManager

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Las Vegas
Can you elaborate on this?

At what point does it lock up?

I really really hope whatever is going on with other peoples phones is similar to mine and just a glitch, I don't want to do the swap game anymore!

My problem may be related to the description of the others. It seems to occur on a random basis, and after it has been inactive (the screen has timed out and locked the phone). It does seem like it occurs more often if I have loaded multiple programs without manually shutting the program down in the task manager window. I am upgrading to version 6.0.1 right now and hope that it may have solved the problem.

My friends phone (iPhone 4S) which was my old phone never had this problem until it was upgraded to iOS 6.0. He is seeing the same issues with the phone locking up and needing to be reset.

I have turned on diagnostics on my phone with them to be automatically sent to Apple to let them see (hopefully) the problem.

Someone mentioned about a memory problem. It seems to be logical that it may be an issue. Not bad memory, just how the iOS uses the memory.

Hope this helps.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
There's an invisible app called "Springboard" that presents your home screen. This experience means springboard has crashed and restarted. Probably a bug. Apple will tell you to erase and restore before they consider whether it's a hardware fault.

not exactly invisible :p
its the homescreen/Gui.

op check you crash log.. it will usually tell you why its crashing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.