Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
The new iMac stole the show.

The mini is nice, but Apple should have cut their margins and gone for market share. If it started at $250, it would have forced its way in to contention for just about everybody.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
Aside from being a childish little troll this morning any other reason for you being here?
How is directly comparing the products being a troll... I came here this morning to see what Apple would release, like the rest of us....

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Comparing the new 32GB Nexus 7 to the 32GB Mini, the Nexus has a far faster CPU, a slightly better GPU, a standard USB port, a higher resolution screen and thus a far higher PPI, but yet costs over $180 less. Sure, the new iPad Mini will be a hit.... People will also surely love the new crApple maps app on iOS 6, which will work even better since the wi-fi mini will not a have a GPS, unlike the Nexus 7, and passbook will work great, especially with no NFC capabilities, again, unlike the Nexus 7. What a failure of a product Apple has excreted...

Welcome to 2007 and your irrelevant spec sheet comaprisons.

farmecologist

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
In my opinion, the Nexus7 is a FAR better value, especially since the Nexus7 has a dedicated GPS.

However, if you are 'locked in' to the Apple app ecosystem, this looks like an interesting option.

rydewnd2

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
New York City
Comparing the new 32GB Nexus 7 to the 32GB Mini, the Nexus has a far faster CPU, a slightly better GPU, a standard USB port, a higher resolution screen and thus a far higher PPI, but yet costs over $180 less. Sure, the new iPad Mini will be a hit.... People will also surely love the new crApple maps app on iOS 6, which will work even better since the wi-fi mini will not a have a GPS, unlike the Nexus 7, and passbook will work great, especially with no NFC capabilities, again, unlike the Nexus 7. What a failure of a product Apple has excreted...

The LTE version does have GPS. Nobody cares about a standard usb port. NFC is in it's infancy. People who buy this, already are living in the iOS ecosystem and want a smaller tablet. There is immense value in that for a lot of people. It's not just a one to one comparison of a list of specs and features.

Wi-Fi + Cellular (AT&T)
Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n; 802.11n on 2.4GHz and 5GHz)
Bluetooth 4.0 technology
GSM/EDGE
UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA
LTE4
GPS and GLONASS
Data only5

Wi-Fi + Cellular (Verizon or Sprint)
Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n; 802.11n on 2.4GHz and 5GHz)
Bluetooth 4.0 technology
CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B
GSM/EDGE
UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA
LTE4
GPS and GLONASS
Data only5

clumsythief83

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Don't mind that much that it doesn't have a retina display, but an A5 processor seriously? I would have expected at least a A5x processor. This really is a Ipod touch + iPad 2 fusion. I can't believe I sold my iPad 3rd generation for this. I think I'll go for the Nexus 7 for the next couple of months while waiting for the updated iPad mini next summer.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Glad you're enjoying the kool aid.

Lighter and thinner are great, but the fact is, not only is the screen not retina, it's lower resolution than the kindle at $130 less.

A lower res device at a much higher price is a hard sell.

Focus on the screen, yes, expensive.

Look at everything, including the Apps and support, the price difference is almost equal!

I do think $299 is better intro price....

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Terrible, truly truly terrible. I was right about it being expensive but I certainly did not expect the tech inside to be THIS old for the money! You are TOTALLY paying for the name.
Nexus 7 all the way then.... :D

And Apple.... :rolleyes: that is all... :rolleyes:

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
iPad Mini & iPad 4

The forth generation iPad isn't really a new iPad.
They changed the connector and bumped the processor.
They didn't increase resolution or drop the price. It's a mid life bump, probably so they only need to buy wafers in the A6x and A5 variety. Limit the variety of components to keep prices down.

As far as the iPad Mini; I know why they priced it at $329.
The $30 premium above the iPod Touch means they don't lower the price on the touch. They charge $100 to get to 64GB on a touch from the base 32GB but it costs $200 to get to maximum on the iPad/iPad Mini.

The premium for flash is just obscene.
I like Apple and own two iPads, three iPods, an older MacBook Pro, a MacBook Air, a Mini and finally a MacPro. Let's not forget Apple stock.

But... I also have three Android phones in my house because the iPhone just got a screen that is even close to what I've had for more than two years.

Anyway the Nexus 7 update due next week bumps the base configuration to 16GB for $199 and 32GB for $249. This becomes the Kindle and Nook killer. While the iPad Mini will get traction, it is still as expensive as an iPad2 refurb. A 3rd gen iPad refurb is only $379.

The iPad Mini is only compelling if you want a smaller iPad. It is not a competitor to the 7" Android tablets. It's priced too high, and I really like Apple.

I was going to buy a couple for Christmas presents for my kids. Looks like they will be getting a Nexus 7 32GB. That's $500 vs almost $900 for the equivalent memory.

jordanancel

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Success or Fail? 40/60 Split.

I think the iPad mini could have been a greater success if it had the A6 chip, retina display and a price of $299 for the lowest model.

While the display size and overall hand-held size are great, and the design quite attractive, I can't understand why Apple would not give us the resolution of the new iPad 4 and the same faster processor.

That, plus a price of $299 would really give people a choice: "Do I want an iPad 4, or do can I only afford a mini yet still get all the great features?"

I already own an iPad 3 with retina display and it's amazing. I was hoping to sell it and get a mini, but I think I'll wait for the 2nd gen mini. Hopefully it will have retina display, as well.

SilkyGardens

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Pretty sure this is how it all went down...

"Well team, last year the iPad 2 didn't generate enough profit. This is unacceptable. What can we do to rectify this problem?"

"how about... let's make it smaller but bigger than an iPhone with the same specs and call it new?"

"Watson, you're an absolute genius."

Is it just me or is Apple pooping out products for the sake of pooping.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
For those that complain about lack of retina, how the hell would Apple drive the thing with that form factor? Even if there were no thermal issues the battery drain for current GPU tech would be far too high, not to mention powering the screen. Ultimately I'm sure a retina display will come but it needs at the very least Power VR Series 6 to be ready and maybe a few other things as well (new screen tech and a further process shrink from 32nm spring to mind).

As for the price... $329 is spot on. It puts it at the premium end of the mass market, right where Apple should be. They don't need to go playing with the minimum margin competitors, surely the PC market has proven that over the last few years? If they're the only premium game in town (and for most people I'd say they are) they will still sell every device they can make. It also, oddly, could present a major problem for Microsoft with Windows RT. If Surface is indicative of pricing for RT devices Apple just lobbed a device in that's likely to be at least $100 cheaper than most RT tablets! Might be smaller but if the functionality is there (and it seems to be) that's just made the RT pitch that much harder.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Terrible, truly truly terrible. I was right about it being expensive but I certainly did not expect the tech inside to be THIS old for the money! You are TOTALLY paying for the name.
Nexus 7 all the way then.... :D

And Apple.... :rolleyes: that is all... :rolleyes:

A6 reserved for iPhone 5 (cant make enough)
A5X designed for Retina.

And....?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.