Apple Introduces New 7.9-Inch iPad Mini Starting at $329

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 23, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As rumored, Apple announced the new iPad mini at today's media event. The device features a 7.9-inch display with a resolution of 1024x768 pixels, measures just 7.2 millimeters thin and weighs 0.68 pounds.

[​IMG]
    Internally, the iPad Mini has a dual-core A5 processor, a Facetime HD camera on the front and a 5-megapixel camera on the rear, 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi connectivity, and 4G LTE cellular connectivity in some models. Despite its smaller size, the iPad mini still offers up to 10 hours of battery life.
    With the same resolution as the iPad 2, all existing iPad apps that work on the older iPad 2 will work on the iPad mini without any need for developers to make modifications to their existing apps.

The iPad mini starts at $329 for the 16 GB Wi-Fi model, with the 32 GB Wi-Fi model priced at $429 and the 64 GB Wi-Fi model coming in at $529. The models with cellular capability cost an additional $130. All models are available in the same black/slate and white/silver color schemes seen on the iPhone 5.

Pre-orders for the iPad mini will start on Friday, October 26 with the Wi-Fi models shipping on November 2 and the cellular models starting to ship two weeks later.

Apple has also introduced new polyurethane iPad mini Smart Covers in six different colors, priced at $39 each. Apple also now has a full suite of Lightning adapters to support USB camera connections, SD cards and VGA or HDMI connectivity.

Article Link: Apple Introduces New 7.9-Inch iPad Mini Starting at $329

2. macrumors regular

iPhone 5 gets an A6 and this stays with the A5? :confused: I guess we already know something about what we can expect with the next iPad Mini update.

3. macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

And factory workers everywhere winced. :D

4. macrumors 65816

Irock619

No retina display and priced over $300 = no buy for me.

5. macrumors 604

Looks like a great unit but I can see that price keeping sales down. I'm sure they'd be making a decent profit even at $249 (or somewhere inbetween like 279). Especially when the $199 kindle has higher resolution, it's weird to see Apple introduce a product with lower resolution and ppi than what's already available.

6. macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Lack of retina means this will probably be one of the shortest product life cycles in history - maybe as short as my iPad3 :)

7. macrumors demi-god

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    This will be a very popular product for the holidays.

I think the price is a little high, but suspect the market will bear it.

8. nickn, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012

macrumors 6502

Comparing the new 32GB Nexus 7 to the 32GB Mini, the Nexus has a far faster CPU, a slightly better GPU, a standard USB port, a higher resolution screen and thus a far higher PPI, but yet costs over $180 less. Sure, the new iPad Mini will be a hit.... People will also surely love the new crApple maps app on iOS 6, which will work even better since the wi-fi mini will not a have a GPS, unlike the Nexus 7, and passbook will work great, especially with no NFC capabilities, again, unlike the Nexus 7. What a failure of a product Apple has excreted...

9. macrumors 604

bushido

what about iTunes 11 sigh

10. macrumors regular

This bad marketing decision is the starting point of the downfall of Apple, whether you like it or not.

11. macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Blatantly just cashing in on their success now. A new Retina iPad at this stage is pure greed - a 7 month life cycle is disgraceful.

12. macrumors 68020

munkery

Fairly disappointed in the iPad mini. Priced a little too high given the spec.

13. macrumors member

MaxGravy

Yawn. Not interested in anything announced. Nap time. ZZzzzzz.

14. macrumors regular

negrohero9

this is way too expensive for non retina

15. macrumors 65816

kirky29

£269...still getting it.

16. macrumors 65816

it's not that small after all

i thought that it would be too small

17. macrumors 6502

Seeing it shows how completely different it is from the other smaller devices. People will pay for this difference, it is huge.

18. macrumors regular

Buying a Nexus 7 would be pointless for me. It's not just about the hardware. It is that Apple has created an eco system that is damn near impossible to escape. If you have invested heavily in the Apple eco system this is a no brainer.

If you have flexibility then go with the Nexus or whatever else they are doing.

19. macrumors 6502a

SBlue1

wow, this thing looks so nice, i think i may buy one for my wife. she would never take our iPad 3 out of the house cause she thinks its too big.

this size is perfect for her handbag, and the price is ok with me. just wish it had retina display.

20. macrumors member

$329 is £206...

The iPad Mini - Starting at £269 in the UK!

Im not enjoying the £60 markup at all.

21. macrumors member

I hope it has 1GB RAM

22. macrumors regular

AppleMactablet

Still would have liked to see under 300 but whatever:cool:

23. macrumors 6502a

ncaissie

One word on iPad 4 "Fail"

How many ipad 3 owners are upset? Raise your hand!
    And $329 NOT!

24. macrumors regular

They had me at hello...

...Lost me at $329

25. macrumors regular

Then don't buy it and go for a cheaper tablet.