Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
It sounds like this will run fine on my 2011 iMac 27" but I have some questions about the gameplay.

How well is single player leveling up supported? It is possible or is grouping required to get anything done? I like to explore and quest solo a lot of the time even though I also like groups and pvp. I don't like "needing" a group though to get to level cap. Speaking of which, what is the level cap?

Any other info about the gameplay would be great. I'm coming from playing WoW which I still enjoy very much. I might consider GW2 also though once they formally release an official (non-beta) Mac version.

Thanks!

you won't be able to engage champion mobs solo thats for sure. other than that, i'm also coming from WoW (although i haven't played for years since wrath of the lich king expansion) and I still find WoW to have been way more fun.

----------

It should be fine. They listed a list of machines it runs fine. Since your is a retina it should be more than fine.

tried it and it was slow and unplayable on my rmbp.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
I am playing it solo and leveling is pretty fast because you get XP for everything you do, killing mobs, following your storyline, recovering dead players and NPCs. You also get XP for making stuff if you decide to do the professions, and for doing all the fixed stuff in every area like getting to the vistas, helping people, getting to points of interest, the list goes on.

You can join in events with other players if you want even without grouping, just being near an event and not joining in will give you XP for it.

So yea you will have a good time discovering things, following your story whilst leveling pretty quickly.

I am not bothered about the dungeons and high level mobs until I have level 80 and everything else is done, its a pretty big game so that should take some time.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I am playing it solo and leveling is pretty fast because you get XP for everything you do, killing mobs, following your storyline, recovering dead players and NPCs. You also get XP for making stuff if you decide to do the professions, and for doing all the fixed stuff in every area like getting to the vistas, helping people, getting to points of interest, the list goes on.

You can join in events with other players if you want even without grouping, just being near an event and not joining in will give you XP for it.

So yea you will have a good time discovering things, following your story whilst leveling pretty quickly.

I am not bothered about the dungeons and high level mobs until I have level 80 and everything else is done, its a pretty big game so that should take some time.

That all sounds very cool, thanks. I wonder how long it will take them to deliver a finished, stable release of the game for Mac.

noatonement

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2011
Any idea if i'll be able to run this with the Mac Client?

Mid-2009 Macbook Pro 13" Model 5,5
2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 (Going to upgrade to 8gb if it is playable at 8gb)
NVIDIA GeForce 9400m 256mb

If i upgrade the ram to 8gb, is it going to be playable or am i SOL.

masterofbuckets

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2009
The 9400 is pretty weak and am afraid not fit to play Guild Wars imo.

You *may* have a chance with bootcamp but I would doubt that even.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
The 9400 is pretty weak and am afraid not fit to play Guild Wars imo.

You *may* have a chance with bootcamp but I would doubt that even.

At the lowest settings its probably similar req's as GW, which was super low. IMO it would run in BC but maybe not as nicely as you would like. It can be a pretty game if you have the power to run it.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I'm trying the Mac Client this weekend. So far it keeps asking me to authorize the account every time I log in. This is now three times in two days that I've logged in from my home computer.

I got about 50 FPS on medium settings. That is good enough for me, but I think I was playing things on max settings in bootcamp. I will play with the settings a bit more and see if I can make it look as good.

kuhtang

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
Ontario
I'm trying the Mac Client this weekend. So far it keeps asking me to authorize the account every time I log in. This is now three times in two days that I've logged in from my home computer.

I'm getting the same thing. Pretty inconvenient.

MacGamerHQ

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Lyon, France
I'm getting the same thing. Pretty inconvenient.

I have been playing this for more than a month now without issues. However, since last week, I have been prompted twice to authenticate the same computer I have been using...

Maybe the latest version has this bug?

joemod

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Athens, Greece
I have been playing this for more than a month now without issues. However, since last week, I have been prompted twice to authenticate the same computer I have been using...

Maybe the latest version has this bug?

I am almost sure that the prompt pops up if your ip address changes. Thing is that if I authenticate, play, quit (usually because the game crashed), and restart the game prompts the authentication request again. I haven't checked if the ip address changed though

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
-50% performance is VERY SURPRISING. Are you sure it's a fair comparison? Same settings? Same resolution? Same card (maybe in Mac it pick ups the integrated card)? Same driver update on the card?
Just asking....

I get similar poor results. The Mac *beta* client is pretty bad right now. I'm sure it'll get better but it's unplayable on my RMBP (Mac side). Bootcamp plays just fine.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I get similar poor results. The Mac *beta* client is pretty bad right now. I'm sure it'll get better but it's unplayable on my RMBP (Mac side). Bootcamp plays just fine.

Actually, I realized there is a small button to click to get it to remember the IP address. I missed it the first few times I authenticated, but it seems like I'm not the only one. Check the box and you will be fine.

So far the Mac Client is working okay for me. Graphics aren't quite as good as in bootcamp at the same FPS. I put it on high and during an event with lots of players the FPS falls too low. I will have to set it at medium or otherwise play with the settings. And I haven't gotten it to recognize my Logitech G13 gaming pad yet. But I can play okay with gaming mouse and keyboard, especially since I'm still only level 12 without a lot of skills to pop.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
Desperate to pick this up when the full game gets released but I have a couple of questions;

Who's playing on an i5 2012 Air? I've got a pro ATM but its being sold in favour of an Air in a few weeks.

Secondly, I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to MMORPG's, not even got past the trial level cap on WoW as it just seems mundane. How engrossing is GW?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Desperate to pick this up when the full game gets released but I have a couple of questions;

Who's playing on an i5 2012 Air? I've got a pro ATM but its being sold in favour of an Air in a few weeks.

Secondly, I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to MMORPG's, not even got past the trial level cap on WoW as it just seems mundane. How engrossing is GW?

Do you mean the beta vs retail Mac version?

I played several years of WoW and am casually playing GW2 now. If you thought WoW was mundane at a low level, I see no reason why you'd find GW2 to be any more intriguing. In fact the starter levels in WoW were superior. Now game mechanics are different. In GW2 it's much easier to get in on local events and quests. You may or may not find this helpful, check out the MacRumors GW2 Guide and read the feature section and the differences between WoW section.

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in...

First of all, I have multiple Macs, and have tried out the GW2 Mac client on all of them. My brand new 27" iMac runs this game phenomenally! It is the baseline i5, 6970 1GB machine with an upgrade to 12GB RAM (4GB of which is pretty much constantly used by Parallels) runs it at about 50FPS in most circumstances, 35-40 in high density areas or heavy pvp.

My new 2.6Ghz 16GB RAM rMBP runs it fine as well, but only when put in 2880x1800 retina resolution with subsampling ON. I run it on high settings otherwise and get 60FPS pretty much at all times, dipping to 40FPS or so when in high density pvp or big fights.

Finally, I have a 15" mid-2008 MacBook Pro (just before unibody) with 4GB of RAM, 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo and Nvidia 8600GT. This is well before what they consider minimum spec but I was absolutely SHOCKED to find out that it will run the game at 30FPS on all low settings (1440x900 resolution) in main areas. When in heavy php or high density areas it does drop to about 15-20 FPS but it is still surprisingly playable.

For a non-optomized cider wrap this client is incredible! I have never seen such an easy transition, and the emulation is pretty much spot on. So far I have only tried using boot camp with the iMac, and naturally, it blew away the mac program in terms of FPS. I got a constant 60FPS at all times no matter what I was doing, and it would have been higher no doubt if I were to turn off Vertical Sync, but there is honestly no reason for me to waste time transferring back and forth in boot camp when I can run it just fine under OSX.

The iMac and rMBP are running OSX 10.8.2 and the older MBP is running 10.7.5. It is very clear that Arenanet has high standards for their client to make sure that their minimum system specs mean that it can be run WELL in all circumstances, because my 5 year old MBP can run it quite decently, and it isn't included.

For those interested in a review of the game, I'll give a quick quip of it. I have played most MMO's since the original Everquest came out, including EQ, EQ2, WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, SWTOR, Rift, EVE, and many, many others. I will also say, that while it has some minor similarities to many of these games, it would be entirely undeserving of this game to compare it to any of them. It is a very fun game that ties together world/zone events (Rift-style), full style crafting, fun pvp, and a very unique style of combat. The combat system is WoW-esque, but differs depending on your type of weapon. Depending on your play style, you can kite, or bash your face into mobs, or do more of a CC type play. The weapon system would require a beast of an explanation so I won't go in depth, but suffice it to say it is very unique, and very cool.

Gameplay is very fun both solo, and in groups, and the quest line is intriguing while also not being completely overbearing. World exploration is a key factor in the game and is tons of fun. Crafting is pretty general, although a very cool thing about it is that you can start one profession, then drop it to pick up another, then go back to the first one without losing any of your recipes or levels. You essentially pick up where you left off. Also, there are no gathering professions, anyone and everyone can gather anything with the correct tools.

Overall I am very impressed with this client for being a Beta Cider wrap with no optimization, and the game is pretty fun as well. For anyone who is bored with their other games or just wants something new, you could certainly do a lot worse than GW2.

macnewguy

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2010
Thanks for that encouraging post Pyro! I have a new BTO MacBook Air 13" i7 2.0ghz with 8GB of RAM and the HD4000 512mb running Mountain Lion - so I am very happy to hear you've been able to get it running on a 5 year old MBP!

Ideally, I can run it on a mix of settings that will permit me to get around 30FPS with V-sync on (I prefer the smoothness and lack of screen tearing of vertical sync) when they release the final build.

Again, very encouraged! Thanks for throwing in your 2 cents.

DragonXRose

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
Belgium
Hello,

i'm really considering to buy this game but i don't want to spend money on it unless i'm sure it'll run on my laptop.
These are my specs:
MacBook Pro
13-inch, medio 2010
Processor 2,66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Videocard NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G56)

What do you guys think? will it work or should i pass up on this (and wait till i can buy an iMac)?

So i tried it out with the help of a friend (read: used his login for download and gameplay) and i was surprised to note that on low settings it actually works pretty descent. i only got a bit of lag when it really got crowded or busy on the screen. AND more importantly even on lowest settings it still looks and works magnificent.

amtctt

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2006
just adding my machine for folks that care. Play beta on first gen mac pro (2006). upgraded graphics to the 5770 and 4gb of ram, and on Lion. It runs fine, i have everything set for low, could probably push to high, but my motherboard is kinda jacked so i'm not pushing anything cause i can't afford a new mac or even to replace the motherboard. Pretty sweet that it works on a 6 year old computer. no idea what FPS i'm getting at low.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
When you go to video options it will show FPS on lower right.
I'm getting 50 FPS on medium to low settings in Mac client but 80 FPS on medium to high settings in bootcamp. Both slow down a lot if i get into a very busy spot. Game looks much better in bootcamp. Also my Logitech G13 works in bootcamp. I have 2011 iMac with the 6970m graphics card.

I've had a little trouble lately in Mac client with my character spinning about. Restarting the game helps. But if I'm going to do that I might as well be in bootcamp.

I hope the Mac client gets better in the next few months since I can see myself playing this game a lot.

Yinmay

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
I've got the Retina 15" (base model) with Windows 7 Boot Camp. The PC version runs a lot faster (anywhere from 50 to 80 at medium/high settings at 1440x900) but since I cap it at 30 FPS using the in-game option, I see absolutely no difference in practice under the Mac client, except that it runs cooler quieter and for longer on battery.

Overall, I am extremely happy with the mac client as that was the only reason why I had been using boot camp since GW2 came out.

Last edited:

fl1x

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
My new 2.6Ghz 16GB RAM rMBP runs it fine as well, but only when put in 2880x1800 retina resolution with subsampling ON. I run it on high settings otherwise and get 60FPS pretty much at all times, dipping to 40FPS or so when in high density pvp or big fights.

May i ask what tweeks/changes you have done?

I have the the rMBP 15" only diff is the RAM i have 8 not 16gb but under the osx client i get 20/30FPS but it feels like 10FPS massive jitter and "lag like" issues (not my net connection)

Under windows BC i get maybe 40 FPS at 1900x1200 everything on bar post processing and reflections set to world only.

jsut wondering if you have done anything outside of install and run?

Cheers

FL1X

edit - to not double post

I've got the Retina 15" (base model) {...} , except that it runs cooler quieter and for longer on battery.

I honestly find running GW 2 i get MUCH better battery life in BC well over an hour better.
quieter i cannot comment on ive never noticed, but i do recall thinking it was damn hot under the OSX client (note this was Saturday just gone i tested the OSX client maybe they screwed the pooch on that update or something?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.