Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
OK then. Now I get the sarcasm, but it was a little too believable, given some of the posts on this site, so understand why I jumped. A sarc tag would have be helpful to the less observant like myself, esp in the AM. :)

perhaps you right, but isn't the comment "great story man" ironic enough?

tumblr_ld94qr3OIn1qbnr8ko1_400.gif

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
Could you sound like any more of a douchebag? It's a damn tablet. No need for all this 'us' vs 'them' rubbish.

Sorry maybe I went a bit overboard but it's just a great day for our team. :D Another successful product launch that demonstrates we're still winning by a wide margin. Huge numbers of pre-orders, incredible profits to follow, and technology that is so remarkable some people can't believe it's real.

Last edited by a moderator:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Also, what is this cellular model mini will be out in mid november? Who the hell would want to hold that to their head to call someone? :confused:

Internet access when there is no WiFi nearby. Safari works without holding the iPad Mini to your ear, actually it works better because you can look at the screen.

And it's not _that_ much bigger than these phones that Samsung is selling. :D

Function is not innovation.

The screen are greats, but seriously adding USB3.0 to the mini is not innovation? Fusion is not an Apple innovation. It's rebranded hybrid drive. The only thing fancy is the hedious logo they are using.

Bit confused here. Clearly adding USB 3.0 is a welcome improvement, but not innovation. Retina display on the 15" was innovation, on the 13" it's not. It can only be innovation once. Still a welcome improvement.

Fusion on a desktop machine _is_ innovation. It is _not_ a rebranded hybrid drive. It works completely differently. Now the principle "take some small, fast storage and combine with some slow, big storage and make it appear as if it was big and fast storage", that is very old, but what Fusion does was previously only available in data centres at huge cost.

What could be more "incredibly...stupid" than to not meet demand of a hot product when there are a plethora of competitors also vying for a share in the market?

Many potential buyers who said "Apple doesn't sell a 7" tablet but I want one, so I buy some other product" are now saying "Apple sells a 7" tablet but there's a waiting list, so I wait". Maybe not all, but many. And people make decisions in strange ways. Some people will now say "Apple sells a 7" tablet that I want, but there's a waiting list, and I don't want to wait, so I buy a 10" iPad right now". It isn't an entirely rational thing to do, but some people do.

Last edited:

nexusrule

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
This was the risk of releasing it so close to the holidays. It was a bit short-sided, IMO to release a new product at this time.

Do you really think nobody there thought about something as stupid as that??? Who is that run a multibillion company you or them?
Please…

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
You forgot to add them returning it on Dec. 26.

Right... after little Johnny opens his present all excited and then becomes horrified when he learns that his parents bought some off brand thing. Then his parents get mad at Johnny because he's ungrateful for the gift they bought, and take back all his presents. Johnny is then ostracized by his friends at Main St. Middle School because he's the only kid without a tablet, and he is so distraught that he takes to using drugs. Shortly later, he drops out of school.

So if you don't want to have your kids drop out of school as drug addicts, buy them an iPad instead of some off brand Android tablet!

(sorry, seen to many strange Time Warner commercials and not enough coffee yet this morning)

By the way, I got up at 3:00am and completed my purchase of a 16G black iPad Mini at 3:03am EST. I guess I should have bought a white one, because the black one I could have ordered now with no problem.

NewYorkRanger

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Truly remarkable. Apple once again destroys the competition with jaw-dropping pre-orders. Absolutely astonishing Apple sold out in less than an hour for a product the fandroids said was average and ridiculously overpriced. :D :D :D :D

Dear lord, this post is absolutely embarrassing.

Sorry maybe I went a bit overboard but it's just a great day for our team. :D Another successful product launch that demonstrates we're still winning by a wide margin. Huge numbers of pre-orders, incredible profits to follow, and technology that is so remarkable some people can't believe it's real.
If you don't actually work for Apple, you just double downed on being a douche.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
This was the risk of releasing it so close to the holidays.
What risk? Things happened the way any company wants them to happen with a new product. SOLD OUT. Production is actually limited to achieve this very result.

It was a bit short-sided, IMO to release a new product at this time.
Since when is it ever too early for a company to take your money?

vomer

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
I finished my order around 3:08 AM and it still said 2 weeks at that time ... maybe they are gauging the orders before offering dates.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Damn are u going to be disappointed losing the retina screen. And you can spin it all you want but you just downgraded

Nope, I won't. The early reviews said the screen looked fine. I doubt the screen will be horrible looking, plus I never game on my iPad. Only browse and watch Netflix.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Well, I pulled the trigger. Pre-ordered the white 64gig AT&T cellular model. First time I ever ordered an Apple product without seeing it in person first.

I am still using my first gen iPad with an unlimited data plan from AT&T. Gonna transfer the plan to the iPad mini since I am grandfathered in.

I just think the size of the mini will be perfect for me since I travel ALOT. I plan to shoot and edit travel videos and pictures with it, as well as blog. So the mini was a no brainer.

Anyway....can't wait till mid November. Hope it arrives by my birthday Nov 22nd ;-)

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Hm. I preordered a white one this morning... never went for the white version of any iGadget before but this time it felt like the natural choice.
Must be that damn piano duet ad manipulating me from my subconscious. Curse you, cute advertising, curse you back to the 7th layer of hell!

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I ordered iPad Mini - White 16GB Wi-Fi only this morning at about 9.45 local time (Paris). The site said delivery 2 weeks then, but I went ahead. When I received the confirmation email, I followed the instructions to check the status of the order, and expected delivery date, which then informed me that I should expect delivery on the 20th November!! Thats a lot longer than 2 weeks!!

Anyway, cancelled that order and switched to a Black 16GB Wi-Fi only and now have expected delivery of 2 Nov :)

Wow. Been waiting for this device for months, perhaps years. But you'd rather have it in the color you didn't choose first than wait an extra six days. Pretty unbelievable.:confused:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So annoyed that Irish Apple Store was meant to start pre-orders at 2pm and so far nothing!! I'm refreshing like mad...

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I remember the asians thinking they were going to scalp the iPad 3 only to have to return it later on because they couldnt sell it for a profit like they had in the past. My guess is that you wont see launch day lines at all.

jphealy

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
So annoyed that Irish Apple Store was meant to start pre-orders at 2pm and so far nothing!! I'm refreshing like mad...

Me TOO!!!

Was surprised that Ireland was getting it day one, but seems maybe they underestimated the demand elsewhere. Doesn't seem fair - surely they should have allocated a certain number for each country.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.