Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kashyap02004

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2011
I just switched to att and got iphone 5. I have an individual plan. I am trying to do face time and it says "Please enable cellular or wifi network."

Phone is already on LTE. I also tried with LTE disabled.
Does anyone know whats the problem here?

ichavis

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2010
You need a shared data / family plan. I am in the same situation You cant have cellular facetime on a unlimited data plan .

kashyap02004

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2011
You need a shared data / family plan. I am in the same situation You cant have cellular facetime on a unlimited data plan .

Oh Man. I am just a poor student. I don't have unlimited plan. I have an individual 3GB plan (only one line). I am already paying $95 a month. I can't afford my bill to go any higher. I guess after this shared ********, people like me who have individual plan have to suffer the most.

BTW i only use ~700 MB of the 3GB plan. Why can't they just let me use my data to make the facetime call. I mean how much more do they want from me.

Monotoko

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
They refuse to upgrade their data network to handle Facetime calls, I believe a Skype video call can be done as a workaround though, although it's nowhere near as convenient.

kashyap02004

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2011
They refuse to upgrade their data network to handle Facetime calls, I believe a Skype video call can be done as a workaround though, although it's nowhere near as convenient.

I understand that they can't handle all that traffic. Didn't they get rid of the unlimited data plan to resolve that issue? And whats the point of 3GB limit then. It doesn't mean anything to me because I still have 2GB left and I can't use it for facetime. Even though I paid for all 3GB data.

----------

Of you have an iPhone 4 or 4s on iOS 5 you can jailbreak & get FaceTime over cellular

Oh really? how about iphone5?

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I understand that they can't handle all that traffic. Didn't they get rid of the unlimited data plan to resolve that issue? And whats the point of 3GB limit then. It doesn't mean anything to me because I still have 2GB left and I can't use it for facetime. Even though I paid for all 3GB data.

----------

Oh really? how about iphone5?

No

KittyToy

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Davenport
U should of went with Verizon, because everyone knew before the iPhone 5 even came out that AT&T wouldn't allow FaceTime over cellular!

Monotoko

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Facetime takes up a lot more bandwidth than say, simple mobile internet browsing (which is what the networks were built for) - the original networks didn't take smartphones and video calling into account as they didn't exist in a great capacity and were generally pretty bad. AT&T need an update of their infrastructure which they refuse to pay for...

An iPhone 5 jailbreak should be with us within a few months, you might be able to bypass it then :)

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
BTW i only use ~700 MB of the 3GB plan. Why can't they just let me use my data to make the facetime call. I mean how much more do they want from me.

I'm a low data user too. My billing cycle just ended and I only used about 500 MB. I have the 1 GB share plan, for just myself, which gives me enough data for my needs. It includes unlimited texting and talking, tethering for when I want to use my iPad on the road and FaceTime over cellular. I don't use FaceTime very often but it's nice to know I can when not at home.

Including taxes I pay the same amount per month as you. It's working well for me, so far.

Last edited:

c1phers

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2011
Oddly enough my buddy facetimed me while i was in the car. I was able to answer the call and Facetime. I DO NOT have a shared plan, I have an individual plan... :confused:

Lyshen

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
California
Oh Man. I am just a poor student. I don't have unlimited plan. I have an individual 3GB plan (only one line). I am already paying $95 a month. I can't afford my bill to go any higher. I guess after this shared ********, people like me who have individual plan have to suffer the most.

Since you are a student, see if you qualify for FAN discount. It's a percentage off the bill or a portion of the bill each month. (The percentage varies depending on which FAN)

outie2k

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010

Well you are not alone. That's the argument and complaint going to the FCC against AT&T. There are a lot of people like you suffering from AT&T's strategy. It's not just the individual lines, family plans suffer the same issue. Even with Data Share plan it still does not make sense for a lot of family plan holders like myself. It is what it is. Just wait until FCC to step in to see if AT&T will change.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
They don't have 1 or 2GB individual plans. The one step below 3GB is 300MB which is not enough for me. That is another annoying thing about it.

Go to the 1gb mobile share plan. It will work for just 1 line, you'll get it for $85/tax And FaceTime over 3G

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
What if you have 2 lines and the other line is a dumb/simple phone? According to that chart it's also the same price. That doesn't make sense.

----------

Getting Facetime over 3G isn't worth losing my unlimited data for.

Agreed. Never once have I said that I wish I was near WiFi so that I could initiate a FaceTime call. Even if I did change, it also depends on the person I am calling and their plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.