Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guitardude092

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Well, the only reason I am posting on mac and pc games is because i use bootcamp to play around here and there. Not to long ago I purchased BF3 when EA was having an anniversary sale. So when I finally tried to play, BF3 told me my drivers were too old. So I took the advice from a couple of guys on here and deleted my old apple drivers and installed one given to me. It worked I am grateful for that, but just recently i noticed the name changed from the original 6770m hd to the now 6700m. I think somewhere in an old thread i read that it was normal, the graphics card was still the 6770m hd but the name change was from the installation of the up to date drivers i downloaded. Is there a confirmation on this from anyone who has done the same? Thanks.

tl;dr- old graphics identified 6770m hd, after deleting, installing new one, named changed to 6700m

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
This is normal, once you upgrade from the default bootcamp ones it will list the device as a slightly different name, mine changed to a more generic name. I think this is because the driver package supports more than just one card, it supports the whole series of cards under that naming convention.

Guitardude092

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Thanks for clearing it up for me man. Much appreciated. Just wondering, which MBP model do you have?

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
Aye I play pretty much every day on it, still works fantastically well! Hopefully it will last me in to 2014 and then I can upgrade again!

Should last you that long.
My 2010 i7 15" is still going strong and it is rendering 3D files for more than 12 hours a day at full CPU usage. I have also played games for hours on end since I got it. It has no problems what so ever, apart from the performance being well lower than what I need now its still going strong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.