Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Its same or better than iPad 1 and iPad 2.
Which sold millions and no one is complaining.
We still have those models and they are just fine.
Mini will be fine too.
Even if there will be retina mini in fall 2013, the previous mini still be sold. There are still iPhones 3gs being used by millions. Thats the way Apple works. Until Apple, everyone had low resolution and the whole computing world was and still using 1024 displays just fine.

The 3G/3GS was released in 2009/2010. 2-3 years later, Apple introduces a new product line (iPad mini) that uses display tech from 2009/2010 when there's now better display tech available. That's the problem.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
The iPad Mini is a beautiful and elegant piece of hardware, but the screen renders it unusable to me. We've pretty much known for months that it would carry the same resolution as the iPad 2, but coming from a 3rd generation iPad and iPhone 5, I can't help but cringe when I look at the iPad Mini's display. It might actually look worse than the iPad 2, from what I remember, for some reason. It almost looks like it's not at its native resolution.

If you have become accustomed to looking at retina displays and have any concern about about the iPad Mini's display, I urge you to check it out in store before purchasing. When the iPad Mini does finally get a retina display, it will be perfect. I'm not bashing the product. It really is beautiful, until you start to use it. :eek:

I have only one question for you

when you bought your ipad 2 the 1st time did you complain about the screen?

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Clearly a troll, and a pathetic one at that.

A troll for voicing his negative opinion? We all know the screen is a compromise but its tough to gauge how much until you use it in person. And OP is sharin his thoughts after using one. I actually share his opinion so it looks like we're not going to be mini owners. I'm positive given how beautiful the thing is otherwise that it'll sell by the boatload. But why on gods green earth would you label anyone who isn't unconditionally praising it a troll?

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
I have to laugh when people says its unusable. Is it the display we wanted? no, not since Apple has conditioned us with retina displays. But its very usable, just go ask all those iPad 2 users out there.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
New York
Its same or better than iPad 1 and iPad 2.
Which sold millions and no one is complaining.
We still have those models and they are just fine.
Mini will be fine too.
Even if there will be retina mini in fall 2013, the previous mini still be sold. There are still iPhones 3gs being used by millions. Thats the way Apple works. Until Apple, everyone had low resolution and the whole computing world was and still using 1024 displays just fine.

All of those products sold well because they were the best thing available at the time. Whenever Apple releasees a new product, it pushes technology to the next level. With the iPad Mini, it just doesn't feel that way. It's MUCH nicer than other 7" tablets out there, but the screen is just not up to par IMO.

Like I said; I knew exactly what to expect but, to those who are like me and still on the fence about it, they should see it in a store before committing.

I'm not trolling and don't mean to start some kind of war here, just stating my honest opinion. I love Apple as much, if not more, than the next guy but felt compelled to post this.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
People are homeless and starving all over the world EVERY DAY. I see them every day, and help when I can. By your logic, I should never complain about anything as long as I have something to eat.

Sorry for discussing an Apple product on MacRumors. Next time I'll make a thread about world peace in the iPad section.

His point was in your use of hyperbole. While "unusable" is a nice sensationalistic headline, it's hardly accurate. You can express your subjective views without then turning it into objective catastrophe.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't have a retina iPad, so I'm guessing once it arrives I'll be happy with the display.

saber45

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
A troll for voicing his negative opinion? We all know the screen is a compromise but its tough to gauge how much until you use it in person. And OP is sharin his thoughts after using one. I actually share his opinion so it looks like we're not going to be mini owners. I'm

Too stupid to finish a sentence?

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA

The iPad 2 was released over a year and a half ago and we've seen Apple put out better displays since. When iPad 2 came out, there were still people disappointed and holding out for a retina iPad.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
New York

I already answered this. I never bought an iPad 2 because it wasn't retina. I held out. I couldn't go from my retina iPhone to a non-retina iPad.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
A troll for voicing his negative opinion? We all know the screen is a compromise but its tough to gauge how much until you use it in person. And OP is sharin his thoughts after using one. I actually share his opinion so it looks like we're not going to be mini owners. I'm

And You must be a troll for defending the troll ...defender....or something like that :confused:

henryonapple

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2012
People are homeless and starving all over the world EVERY DAY. I see them every day, and help when I can. By your logic, I should never complain about anything as long as I have something to eat.

Sorry for discussing an Apple product on MacRumors. Next time I'll make a thread about world peace in the iPad section.

rofl good one :p

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
I had an iPad 3. Sold it and got a mini. Only thing I hate is that it comes with a 5w not 12w charger. You really don't notice the pixels unless you really look for it. And the iPad is made to be used at arms length, not as close as the iPhone viewing distance. I love mine and the size is perfect.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
The iPad Mini is a beautiful and elegant piece of hardware, but the screen renders it unusable to me. We've pretty much known for months that it would carry the same resolution as the iPad 2, but coming from a 3rd generation iPad and iPhone 5, I can't help but cringe when I look at the iPad Mini's display. It might actually look worse than the iPad 2, from what I remember, for some reason. It almost looks like it's not at its native resolution.

If you have become accustomed to looking at retina displays and have any concern about about the iPad Mini's display, I urge you to check it out in store before purchasing. When the iPad Mini does finally get a retina display, it will be perfect. I'm not bashing the product. It really is beautiful, until you start to use it. :eek:

I also picked up a iPad mini today along with a Nexus 7. Will play with both for the next few weeks and return whichever one doesn't make the cut.

At first glance, I totally agree. Coming from an iPhone 4 I have been completely spoiled. The mini screen is noticeably pixelated. Whether or not I can deal with it is another question. But it would be a compromise.

I appreciate the honest reviews.

I'll take a range of opinions over people just fawning over everything that comes out.

By most accounts it appears the screen is a compromise. And it's something each potential buying should weigh in making their purchasing decision. For some it's no big deal, for others it's a deal breaker.

But I'd rather people be honest with their opinions than just expect everyone to grab their pom poms for everything that comes out.

Exactly!

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
The 3G/3GS was released in 2009/2010. 2-3 years later, Apple introduces a new product line (iPad mini) that uses display tech from 2009/2010 when there's now better display tech available. That's the problem.

with my old eyes I can't see pixells from 10"

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK

Totally agree. Mine is going back.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
New York
His point was in your use of hyperbole. While "unusable" is a nice sensationalistic headline, it's hardly accurate. You can express your subjective views without then turning it into objective catastrophe.

Unusable to ME and a bunch of others who have now become anal about pixel density. Blame Apple for spoiling us with other beautiful displays.

There are millions out there who will love their iPad Mini, this post is for people like me who have become spoiled by and particular about Apple's other displays.

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Your iPad mini doesn't have a retina for the exact reason apple is so successful.

They have a retina for it in their back pocket, along with an a6 chip. They are carefully playing their cards. It's called marketing.

They know apple zombies will upgrade.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
And the iPad is made to be used at arms length

Depends how long your arms are and how far you want them stretched out. I keep the device ~8 in from my nose. Pixels are noticeable. You don't have to go looking for them.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I have a retina iPad and i've thought about selling it for a mini, but i'd hate to avoid using it because the display sucks.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I already answered this. I never bought an iPad 2 because it wasn't retina. I held out. I couldn't go from my retina iPhone to a non-retina iPad.

So all you laptops and monitors are now retina?

Or did you just stop reading text on those? :D

I love the retina screen, but I don't overreact or freak out over non-retina screens. I do tons of reading on my MacBook Po.

The iPad Mini screen looks better than my MacBook Pro screen.

bsquared397

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2012
Ok. I have been seeing a a lot of negative posts on this forum. Don't they have the right to express their opinion without being told about the starving in Africa and how they are entitled rich people. I hate negativity. But just because someone has a negative view on something does not constitute calling them entitled or ungrateful. If you don't like to hear the other side of a story, then don't read this forum. . Oh, and I'm still waiting for FedEx to deliver my mini :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.