Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RDStrong

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
That should make the web happy today. A new google anything makes all the screens look extra white. ;)

----------

Dont say that. Greatest phone ever! You know they didn't cheap it up to hit that mark at all. It's google man.....google.

The Nexus 7 is a 7 inch tablet and not a phone. However, the Nexus 4 (which is a phone), is considerably cheaper than its rivals.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
The Nexus 7 is a 7 inch tablet and not a phone. However, the Nexus 4 (which is a phone), is considerably cheaper than its rivals.

The quote you are quoting was me in response to someone speaking of the Nexus 4 which is a phone FYI.

The rival phones are usually what $200 to make?? So its nice to see a decent one sell at a reasonable price point. I just like teasing the google C riders, I tease the Apple one as well. It's all in good fun.

If Sony made the Nexus I would be all over it perhaps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
The Nexus 4 is cheap because that's how ALL smartphones should be. Please note, cheap in price, not in build.

If you honestly think mobile devices are expensive because that's what it costs to build them, I've got a bridge to sell you.

token787

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
I love the Samsung Note 10.1 for the multitask and so much more you can do but the screen somewhat sucks. The Nexus 7 is cute and power packed. The Surface is gorgeous, but it looks more for business. Now I have to try to find the Nexus 10 and the new Nook HD+.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
how things have changed lately hm? so many people talking nicely about android and competition being a good thing on here

so refreshing

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Once my ipad dies ill prob look at the newer version of this. Looks promising (unless apple picks up their game again with amazing features (come on apple take this as a challenge))

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Which parts are missing in Google ecosystem? I can't find any. I can see a lot of deficiencies in Apple ecosystem. To name a few: missing file system in iOS, missing support for BLu Ray, missing support for NFC, only one phone model, no phones with OLED screens, no mobile devices with expandable memory, no phones with better than 8MP resolution, no multi-SIM phones - the list is very long.

I'm glad your happy. It's nice to have choices. ;)

iMLo

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
That's one thing I hate about Apple's product. The shiny shell is next to useless for a regular human being. I prefer holding my e-ink Kindle (rubbery back) than my iPod touch (stainless steel back).

Yes we can buy a shell for the Apple products, but it's still a flaw. Once again functionality loses over looks. These products are made to be used, not to be looked at on a display.

Maybe you should tell that to the people who own Android tablets. Even with all of them out there, they account for less than 10% web traffic. Sounds like a good case that iOS devises are far more 'usable' - while still kicking ass in the looks department...

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
I would of gotten the S3 if it wasn't so damn big.

If it was a 4'' phone with all the bells it had I would of been holding it right now and not my iPhone 5.

To me a phone should be small.

I would of been fine if the iPhone never got bigger.

Ha i was like you then i took the plunge and got the note 2, now the s3 looks small. Its definately changed my perception.

----------

And why is there Android news on fricking MACrumors??

Sorry, do you want to see more ipad mini unboxings?

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
i cant wait to get my Nexus 4! time to try something new :) still love the apple ecosystem but i fell in love with Google Now and they got some great innovative features coming up

you and I both, Google is creeping up on Apple big time, delivering on innovation and technology and also pricing devices reasonably ..... Apple is just stagnant and pricey these days, and unfortunately you do not get what you pay for LOL, I'll gladly ditch my iPhone 5 and get the nexus 4+ Extra $

iMLo

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
Apple is only good for stealing others' inventions and making them look better. They fail at everything else. Oh, that's right, except marketing. Apple is a designing and marketing company; that's all.

Seriously?

You do realize that Apple created the tablet market, right? You also know that Apple reinvented the smart phone market (perhaps you really liked Blackberry and Windows mobile phones...)

This comment is the most ridiculous post I've ever seen here....and that's saying something. Congrats.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
And why is there Android news on fricking MACrumors??

To get everybody riled up and foaming at the mouth. It's kind of like being in a street gang. You have the Apple gang and the Google gang. They are deadly enemies fighting over technical turf. It takes us back to our tribal roots. ;)

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
More so, it has no "legitimate" Eco System. If Google can ever get the users to agree to a lock down system Apple will be concerned.

Until then it a nice 10" Tablet without an Eco System. Google should have taken control 2 years ago. :apple:

What is this "Eco System" you are talking about? The big brother approach of Apple?

Honestly you should consider the benefits of Android being open. Yes, you are forced to act more reasonably (i.e. spare the data-mining free apps available, i.e. check an apps permissions before installing, i.e. read the fn reviews of the app). Nevertheless the openness is really great.

I personally love the possibility to have other sources for Apps than a single-company App Store. Actually some of Samsungs offerings are quite neat - so if you like them, go grab them at Samsungs Apps Store. Samsungs security suite is quite nice btw (and offers everything including forced wipe and phone tracking). Same applies to other vendors.

I also like some of the carrier specific Apps I own i.e. being able to synchronize my Adress Book to someone that is not Google but my carrier's server (which binds me to the carrier and not to the Smartphone OS) or having a widget showing me my data usage.

Heck - if I want a walled garden approach I just install the Amazon AppStore on Android. I can also get my Apps from there.

In short - what kind of benefit does the "Eco System"-approach bring?

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
And the iphone is made of the same stuff as a bums beercan... Your point?

The Nexus body is "rubbery" to quote one of the reviewers. If that's your thing then more power to you. I prefer a beautiful, smooth, polished aluminum back myself, but to each his own. By the way... We are are discussing Tablets not phones. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.