Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
If it does, the one right before it will be my last iPhone. The 4.0 feels great. I might be able to tolerate a 4.2-4.3, but anything larger is a deal breaker.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
You should know by now that Apple doesn't play the marketshare game with phones as marketshare does not equal profit and they are still easily making the most profit in the smartphone arena. That's all they care about. Also notice that Apples marketshare continues to increase as well. Android is gaining marketshare at the expense of the other OS not Apple.

+1. I sound like an angry fanboy, but the phone manufacturers have ways of skewing those things.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
The iPhone 5 has the worst form factor, enough said. The 4S was nice but small. The best phone with the perfect screen was the original Samsung Galaxy S II with 4.3". Absolutely perfect.

The Note II has a much more comfortable form factor now too. Obviously Samsung is doing something right, to bad the iSheep don't like it.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
5.5" is way too big. Even 5" is too big. 4.2" should be the maximum Apple goes up to, but they already made the screen bigger, so they should just leave the screen at 4". The hardware of the iPhone 5 is perfect. It is the software that is lacking at this point.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I was very tempted by the Galaxy Note II.

Went for the iPhone 5 in the end, but having seen the underwhelming iPad Mini, I can totally understand the market for the phablet, and the success of it - millions of people clearly love the 2-in-1 nature.

Don't forget, in a few years, there will be a much smaller bezel and the screen will be bigger by default. Measure your iPhone 5 at the same aspect ratio and a future screen (in 3-5 years) would automatically be 5-5.5 inches thanks to technology.

Bet you anything we won't hear these complaints then :D

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
People will never be satisfied with what they get. No matter what freaking screen size phone Apple releases, there are sure to be people complaining about it being too big or too small. Get over it & move on with life. Apple releases phones that they want to release, not what other people are selling.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
I do hope for a bigger screen. If not 5.5", then at least something like the S3 or Nexus 4, 4.7" or at is it? Although I've been using iPhones since 2007 I'd like a larger screen so I can comfortably browse or enjoy media on my phone. All that one hand crap Apple has been on about is pretty meaningless to me. I hardly ever try to use my iPhone 4 one-handed anyway. I mean it cost me a fortune off contract, it's all glass and besides the risk of dropping it there's also the fact that I find typing with one hand incredibly cumbersome.

Eckscaliber

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2012
5.5" is ridiculous and will never happen. I think 4" is good. All I wold like to see happen is the width of the screen widened a few mm's.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Fine. Let them have the phatphone business.

Is not a phone anymore, is a game boy!

You know how analysts are predicting that Apple will merge their tablet and PC lineup? Well, samsung looks like they want to merge their phone lineup with their smart TV lineup. The first phase involves merging the phones with tablets. And thats already happening.

----------

5.5" is ridiculous and will never happen. I think 4" is good. All I wold like to see happen is the width of the screen widened a few mm's.

I agree. I miss the 3:2 ratio.Its very good while in portrait mode. Im guessing that Apple want to sort out the appstore with the iPhone 5 apps, then widen it. 4.6" should be max

kamalds

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
I hope to God that Apple doesn't make a 5.5" screen. That Galaxy Note II looks disgusting, get a damn tablet, the phone is WAY too big. 4 inches is perfect, if Apple really wanted to, 4.5" should be the MAX, that's it.

No. It doesn't. I have one and it looks lovely. Just because you can't afford one doesn't make things ugly or beautiful.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
No. It doesn't. I have one and it looks lovely. Just because you can't afford one doesn't make things ugly or beautiful.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder son. I think the phone is ugly also and I would love for you to tell me what I can afford. #

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
Eh, 5.5 is just too big and would hurt apple sales. I say we get to 4.3 which would be nice. Not too big and not too small.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
And Apple sold 5 million iPhone 5's in the first weekend (compared to 3 million notes in over a month)..so..sounds like people are liking the 4 inch screen..
People will buy anything Apple, so the fact that they are selling is irrelevant. Apple calls the shots, it's a power thing.

Rather well known as a company that doesn't like large full size displays, but rather places more value on thin and small, I don't think Apple will make any further display size changes.

alexander25

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
I hope not. I genuinely don't understand who needs or even feels comfortable with a screen that big.

i don't know if you know this, but you don't have to buy the phone if they come out with one that has a bigger screen.

it would be an option if anything. apple knows there's a market for 4" phones, and now i'm sure they know there's a market for 5" phones.

i would buy the 5" one definitely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.