Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
"Very rare." A little exaggerated, don't you think? Anyone older than 26 y.o. uses it with one hand.

Really? My point is that although you can use the iPhone with one hand, it is more comfortable to type using two. There are few situations where I would imagine you would only have one hand free to use the phone, and it's not like other phones such as the galaxy s3 are impossible to use in these situations. So like I said, to carry on arguing that one handed use is less and less valid. I mean apple invented multi touch didn't they? So the iPhone is designed to be used with two hands.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Actually Apple "doesn't get it" when it comes to larger displays.

My iPhone 5 has Apple's odd, narrow screen. It's nothing but a way for them to brag about a "bigger display" yet offer no improvement in vertical space when typing in the landscape mode.

The phone itself, is a rather bizarre phallic shape. Perhaps appealing to some, but it's not universal.

Apple needs to go back to their compact tiny 3.5" screen, and let Samsung and others keep us happy with incredibly useful and enjoyable large displays.

The iPhone is phallic shaped? Lmfao! Joking right?

Cebuano1976

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
Verrado, Buckeye, Arizona
There are few situations where I would imagine you would only have one hand free to use the phone, and it's not like other phones such as the galaxy s3 are impossible to use in these situations.

How many units have sold now? Around 10 million, probably? You'd still think they prefer bigger screens? You think they only had 1 arm/hand? They must be doing something right.

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
It's becoming a pretty weak argument. It also means little to say a Baby Boomer that's now 50 years old and has vision issues.

I've got family that left the iPhone because they could no longer read the screen comfortably.

The Boomers are aging and they represent a lot of wealth.

I was there when Apple fell off the first time. I'm not saying that's happening now but I remember there being a serious disconnect with Apple in the 90's They were too busy selling expensive stuff...calling it cool yet customers weren't buying in. Apple created cool stuff that people didn't want.

I don't want to see them go down that path.

I would agree that apple have lost touch with what people really want. I mean, bragging about having the thinnest phone? Does anyone really care? I didn't hear people complaining that the previous iphones were too fat. Maybe people would be happier to sacrifice this thinness for a bigger battery.
Apple is the king of marketing and is expert at convincing people they want something. Most people on here were slating the idea of a taller phone with the same width, but apple has convinced people that that's what they want. Very clever

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Why? I've yet to read a solid reason why Apple shouldn't do what EVERY other phone maker does by catering to a larger market.

Remember this?

Let's not become IBM guys.

If they're struggling to produce one phone what makes you think they can do 2? Let alone every six months? Do you know how expensive that would be and how low their stock would drop?

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
How many units have sold now? Around 10 million, probably? You'd still think they prefer bigger screens? You think they only had 1 arm/hand? They must be doing something right.

Yeah they are doing something right - marketing. People would likely buy it however it turned out because it has a half eaten apple on the back

Cebuano1976

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
Verrado, Buckeye, Arizona
I would agree that apple have lost touch with what people really want. I mean, bragging about having the thinnest phone? Does anyone really care? I didn't hear people complaining that the previous iphones were too fat. Maybe people would be happier to sacrifice this thinness for a bigger battery.
Apple is the king of marketing and is expert at convincing people they want something. Most people on here were slating the idea of a taller phone with the same width, but apple has convinced people that that's what they want. Very clever

Oooooh boy. APL hater right here. C'mon man. Let me see Sales Records for any other company in the world that can compare to APL selling iPhones. The only other company that comes close are the gas giants.

----------

10-15 million people are dumb hacks. Brainwashed by Apple. Hehehehehe. Personally, I like the iPhone aesthetically.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
Why? I've yet to read a solid reason why Apple shouldn't do what EVERY other phone maker does by catering to a larger market.

Remember this?

Let's not become IBM guys.

too late

----------

That's different. Hold it up to your face.

why? I don't hold my regular cell phone to my face? it's archaic and proven to be worse for your health

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
Oooooh boy. APL hater right here. C'mon man. Let me see Sales Records for any other company in the world that can compare to APL selling iPhones. The only other company that comes close are the gas giants.

----------

10-15 million people are dumb hacks. Brainwashed by Apple. Hehehehehe. Personally, I like the iPhone aesthetically.

Definitely not an apple hater, I had an iPhone 4 for a year and a 4s for 7 months and I will readily accept that they were both excellent phones. I've also got an ipad which I love.
However, I've grown tired of ios and its closed nature, and frustrated that apple aren't giving consumers enough choice. It's either apple's way, or the highway. You want a bigger screen? Sorry, no can do. How about memory card slot? No, but you can spend an extra £200 on the 64gb version.
People will carry on buying iphones because they are decent phones but not only that, apple keep customers locked into the ecosystem. I've now got a galaxy s3 but it wasn't an easy move. It took a lot of work to get everything up and running and it's lucky that I am a little bit tech savvy and prepared to give it time. But buying back some apps, losing stuff I'd bought on iTunes wasn't easy.
I don't hate apple, I just think they should give their customers more control.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth

Marketing only works so much. There is an undeniable market for people that want a large phone. The Galaxy Note 2 is selling.

Apple needs to understand that although most of Android's phones are crappy the fact that they sell 3 out of 4 phones in some areas shows that people "can and will" live without iOS.

Just like the iPad wasn't sufficient in just one size neither is the iPhone.

If they're struggling to produce one phone what makes you think they can do 2? Let alone every six months? Do you know how expensive that would be and how low their stock would drop?

Their production problems stem from making the phone so thin. A larger phone is easier to make and what Bob Mansfield said that in his video about the iPhone

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
Face it. Apple can do anything they want. They can sell a monochrome phone from the 90ies and people will still lineup for it. They can certainly get away with a 5" model. All the conservative people here will lineup and sell their kidneys for a 5incher.

The majority wants 5" or more and the conservative die hards will always suck it up to apple and salute anything they make. I saw this trend already with the iphone5 when the 3.5" conservatives were whining. History will repeat itself and apple is just delaying the inevitable.

S

syd430

I think you're correct.

I think there needs to be two iPhones.

4" long and slim like now.
5" or slightly larger for those that like a large form factor.

While filling every conceivable market niche may be tempting for any company, there are many potential pitfalls to this approach. Brand dilution is one. Loss of focus is another. Not to mention potential customer confusion this can cause (not just for the technologically inept).

The funny thing is apple has already been down this path before (trying to fill every conceivable niche for short term profit) and it lead the company to the verge of extinction.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Really? My point is that although you can use the iPhone with one hand, it is more comfortable to type using two. There are few situations where I would imagine you would only have one hand free to use the phone, and it's not like other phones such as the galaxy s3 are impossible to use in these situations. So like I said, to carry on arguing that one handed use is less and less valid. I mean apple invented multi touch didn't they? So the iPhone is designed to be used with two hands.

False, Apple did not invent multi-touch. Other companies did way before Apple and Apple just copied what has already been created. That is why you don't see Apple with any meaningful touch patents.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
No question about it that their is a market for an Iphone with a larger screen. However with a screen that is AMOLED or RETINA. Having size and giving up screen quality is an issue. At the same time a market exists for the current size IPHONE5. So its really a hard call for Apple and in reality they should have both sizes but never will.
In any case the IPHONE5 is truly a great piece of technology loved by most.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle

But yet when Motorola brags about having the razr maxx which is thin that's alright?

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
The majority wants 5" or more and the conservative die hards will always suck it up to apple and salute anything they make. I saw this trend already with the iphone5 when the 3.5" conservatives were whining. History will repeat itself and apple is just delaying the inevitable.

So when did Mac rumors count as the majority?
The majority speaks with their wallet and if the majority wanted a 5 inch phone or bigger than there would not have been people lined up

The iphone would not have been selling the way it has. When you have more credible evidence of a real majority and not just trolls on a message board then lets chat

----------

Why would that make it right? I'm not taking sides, just questioning whether people really need or want super slim phones

It's a selling point. And once again a double standard for people finding reasons to siphon thru everything to complain

I love superslim phones. Next people will be wanting apple to put a 40mp pure view sensor in phones like that horrid huge Nokia model

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
While filling every conceivable market niche may be tempting for any company, there are many potential pitfalls to this approach. Brand dilution is one. Loss of focus is another. Not to mention potential customer confusion this can cause (not just for the technologically inept).

The funny thing is apple has already been down this path before (trying to fill every conceivable niche for short term profit) and it lead the company to the verge of extinction.

The current Macbook lineup is far more confusion IMO.

Customer - I want a Mac notebook.

Sales: Ok do you want a light Air or do you want a Macbook Pro with DVD drive or do you want a Retina screen.

Customer: "????????????"

Two iPhones.

4" slim
5" larger "super phone"

Honestly I think the decision has been made and Apple's moving there already. It may take a couple of more revisions but it'll happen.

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
Apple has done an amazing thing of putting smartphones in the hands of everybody, from the young to the very old. But this is a double edged sword, and you can't please all the people all the time, at least with only one version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.