Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quantum paradox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
having an issue with my iPod 4th gen. When I hook up to either a wall charger or my computer I get the message "charging not supported with this accessory". I haven't update to iOS 6 yet (waiting for the bugs to be fixed, or possibly to get the iPod 5th gen.). I can't sign into the apple communities website for help, because for whatever reason I am getting a error. here is a bit more about the situation:
- I am using an apple usb. It is not the one that came with the ipod. I have also tried generic usb's.
- Sometimes the message goes away and it charges fine. However, the message never goes away when hooked up to my computer
- Putting it into airplane mode doesn't help (I read somewhere that it does)
- It doesn't matter how low the battery is when I begin charging.

Is there a fix for this? Am I going to have to restore my iPod? Thanks for your help!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Are you using the same cable each time? Can you try a different cable? The cable may be going bad/getting worn out.

Or, maybe the dock connector on the iPod is dirty or has damaged pins. Take a look at it and see if you find anything.

Quantum paradox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply. Is it safe to use a bit of rubbing alcohol on a napkin/Q-tip to clean the connector port?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.