Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Apparently, someone who I sold an iPad 2 to on eBay lost it. Apple called today to ask if I had any info regarding an iPad I no longer own. Obviously, the my support website is not updated on their end. I unregistered it, as I sold (or returned it), yet they still showed me as the owner.

I guess I should've played dumb and just took it back, but the thought never occurred to me until now. Oh well...:(

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas
Apparently, someone who I sold an iPad 2 to on eBay lost it. Apple called today to ask if I had any info regarding an iPad I no longer own. Obviously, the my support website is not updated on their end. I unregistered it, as I sold (or returned it), yet they still showed me as the owner.

I guess I should've played dumb and just took it back, but the thought never occurred to me until now. Oh well...:(

Supposedly, someone from Apple contacted you with regard to an iP2, which they thought you still have in your possession. And . . . ?

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Sorry, I have never heard of such a thing, ever. :rolleyes:

I am suspect it was someone other than Apple. Millions of iPhones and iPads are lost and stolen and I can not see them taking the time to do anything about it.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Did I not make it clear? A lost iPad was turned in. Apple called me to come pick up my iPad. Since it wasn't mine, I didn't do it.

Not a scam. This was Apple.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Right choice. You sold it, so it's the new owner's business now.
You can still try to contact the buyer perhaps. That would mean work on your end, and here's where it's all up to you.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I don't think I understand why doing the right thing here is even a post, much less taking the 10 seconds to type out an email to the buyer being that big an inconvenience? Is this really where we now are as a society debating whether or not one should do the right thing for another person?

DaReaper

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2008
I think you should have picked it up and call the person you sold it to so they could get it from you.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Nope, you did the right thing. Don't regret doing the right thing.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

What do you mean by as i sold or returned it ?

Which is it ?

MistaGavin

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
I would have taken it and tried to get ahold of the buyer. I don't believe Apple would.

rman726

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
I would have taken it and tried to get ahold of the buyer. I don't believe Apple would.

Agreed. It probably was too much of a hassle for Apple to send it out to someone who they don't have it registered as the owner. I would have taken it and contacted the guy you sold it to.

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA

Why on earth would you want to take back an iPad that is no longer yours? Hmmm

Was it from Craigslist? Post what happened on the Lost encounters section or whatever it's called and title it "Lost iPad Owner in such such town contact me" Post this in a local paper, other local online sites. Please try to find this woman or man.

Please let us know if the buyer was notified

ITGuy

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2005
So you took the time to start a new thread and tell everyone about this, but you couldn't take the time to contact the person you sold it to??

Just awful if this is the case.

-ITGuy

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Why on earth would you want to take back an iPad that is no longer yours? Hmmm

Was it from Craigslist? Post what happened on the Lost encounters section or whatever it's called and title it "Lost iPad Owner in such such town contact me" Post this in a local paper, other local online sites. Please try to find this woman or man.

Please let us know if the buyer was notified

So, how much money should he spend tracking this person down?

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I bought and sold several iPads. Apple did not tell me which one it was, so I have no idea. It was indeed Apple as I called the number that called me and it was the Apple Store. I am trying to figure out exactly what happened. The person who called was gone for the day, so when she calls back I'll find the full story.

I had returned a 32GB for a 64GB, so that's why I'm not sure if it was sold or returned.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Apple will never contact you about a lost device, ever. It's part of their privacy policy.

Funny how I was at the Apple store last night and one genius explained this exact thing to me. They are not allowed to contact ANYBODY (looking through contacts on an iPhone or whatever) even if an iPhone was left at an apple store. They are supposed to lock it away until the owner comes looking for it.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Apple will never contact you about a lost device, ever. It's part of their privacy policy.

Funny how I was at the Apple store last night and one genius explained this exact thing to me. They are not allowed to contact ANYBODY (looking through contacts on an iPhone or whatever) even if an iPhone was left at an apple store. They are supposed to lock it away until the owner comes looking for it.

And yet, they did. I'm not sure why.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.