Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
If it's true the back can't be replaced as easy as the Iphone 4/4S or can't be replaced atall it seems there's a major design flaw.

I bet after a year there will be alot of broken/useless Iphone 5's for sale on ebay.

:mad:

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
If it's true the back can't be replaced as easy as the Iphone 4/4S or can't be replaced atall it seems there's a major design flaw.

I bet after a year there will be alot of broken/useless Iphone 5's for sale on ebay.

Well what would you prefer? Easier back replacement or easier screen replacement.

I bet anyone with more than 20 seconds patience can replace a back easily on a $700 device.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
From what I gather if it breaks it's bust. New phone required.

If the back breaks its still repairable.
Just like any other phone. Before the back was easy to fix but now the front screen would be a lot easier to fix and replace.
What you see 99% of the time is people with broken screens, not broken back metal pieces.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
What are you even talking about? And why the HELL would you use a 4S without the back D:

If you break the back, you'll need to replace it. Much like on the 4 and 4S as well?

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
If the back breaks its still repairable.
Just like any other phone. Before the back was easy to fix but now the front screen would be a lot easier to fix and replace.
What you see 99% of the time is people with broken screens, not broken back metal pieces.

Yes but if you chip the sides/smash the glass part on the back it needs a full new back plate.

----------

What are you even talking about? And why the HELL would you use a 4S without the back D:

If you break the back, you'll need to replace it. Much like on the 4 and 4S as well?

No you don't.

Apple replaced the back glass on Iphone 4 for £25.

Reddmanz

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
It can't be repaired.

Break front or the back you need a new phone.

No. YOU need a new phone. As long as nothing breaks inside I don't see how a smashed back renders the phone useless. I'd happily still use it because its a device, not a fashion statement.

If my jeans rip, then yes they are useless. (well not useless but you get what I'm saying)

And to the person who asked about my backless 4S. I had a see through glass back on it from iFixit,someone smashed it while I was on holiday. So I just took it off with the intention of getting a new one when I returned home but I never got round to it.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yes but if you chip the sides/smash the glass part on the back it needs a full new back plate.

If you chip the sides thats the metal band around the phone that needs replacing not the back.
Either way you can bet the back piece is still going to be way cheaper than replacing the front 4" screen/digitizer combo that's all fused in one piece.

dominion155

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
I fail to see how this is a design flaw, you merely need some patience and you can replace the screen or back. People are already selling the front and backs for IP5, and it appears they replace the componets quite easily.
Besides, most of the time people break their screen, not the back of the phone. so it makes sense for it to be easier to replace the screen.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
I love how people, who are are far from being an engineer or designer, feel knowledgeable about whats a design flaw vs not a flaw. lol Must be all those years of experience.

Opinions are great. Everyone has one and they all stink.

Here's my take on this. Don't break your phone. Accidents do happen yes, but we should all be responsible adults with expensive things. And if you do break your property, be mature enough to own up to it. Don't blame it on someone else for your mistakes.

I do not feel it is a design flaw. I feel its a design feature.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
I fail to see how this is a design flaw, you merely need some patience and you can replace the screen or back. People are already selling the front and backs for IP5, and it appears they replace the componets quite easily.
Besides, most of the time people break their screen, not the back of the phone. so it makes sense for it to be easier to replace the screen.

Would a third party shop replace it cheaper than Apple?

I'm just worried they won't put genuine Iphone parts on or something?

Reddmanz

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
Here's my take on this. Don't break your phone. Accidents do happen yes, but we should all be responsible adults with expensive things. And if you do break your property, be mature enough to own up to it. Don't blame it on someone else for your mistakes.

This should be the stock response when people come on here moaning about this.

Its like someone scraping their car in a parking lot and then complaining that the paint/metal is scratch-able and therefore a design flaw.

AznTakumi

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
The iPhone 4 had a huge design flaw, the back broke to easily having be made out of glass. I rather have a easily replace screen because I can easily hide the back with a case

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
It's not a flaw. Design flaw refers to a defect in a product, which affects either aesthetics or functionality, or eventually both.

kannesss

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Above.

I don't think the back will ever make a phone run better if its less scratched. That seems unlikely.
Also, they made changing the screen much easier, and for me, that's all that counts. As I don't use the back touch screen often, as it doesn't exist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.