Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zauze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
I didn't think I'd be saying this, but IMO, as a content consumption tool, the iPad mini is just a way better device. I think that if the 8 inch had come out first, and then the full size had come out later, everyone would have made fun of the big bulky size and ask why it was needed. At this size and weight, it becomes just a far more useful, far more totable, and easier to handle, more compelling device.

I know the obvious rejoinder is about the screen, and yeah - I get it, it'd be nice to have retina. And if/when the mini exists in retina, I'll certainly trade up then. But until that day comes, the existing HD screen is fantastic, and is in no way anywhere close to being a dealbreaker.

At the end of the day, if someone came up to me with an iPad 4 and offered to trade, the only way I'd even consider taking it is if I could sell it and use the money to buy another mini.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
I didn't think I'd be saying this, but IMO, as a content consumption tool, the iPad mini is just a way better device. I think that if the 8 inch had come out first, and then the full size had come out later, everyone would have made fun of the big bulky size and ask why it was needed. At this size and weight, it becomes just a far more useful, far more totable, and easier to handle, more compelling device.

I know the obvious rejoinder is about the screen, and yeah - I get it, it'd be nice to have retina. And if/when the mini exists in retina, I'll certainly trade up then. But until that day comes, the existing HD screen is fantastic, and is in no way anywhere close to being a dealbreaker.

At the end of the day, if someone came up to me with an iPad 4 and offered to trade, the only way I'd even consider taking it is if I could sell it and use the money to buy another mini.

Oh yeah! Over 2 year old display + a chip that's over a year old.

BEST DEVICE EVAR!!!

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
Typing is far too constrained, the display is bad, and so is the processor.

iPad mini is the third in line for best ipad, not first.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
When Retina Mini comes out, I'm done with the iPad.

How about...

iPad mini = iPad 4 :cool:

I'm actually trading my iPad 3 for iPad 2 and give it to my Mother & Sister to share.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Oh yeah! Over 2 year old display + a chip that's over a year old.

BEST DEVICE EVAR!!!

I just came from the bar and people were loving my mini. I said that it doesnt have retina display and they said they didnt care about that. They said the screen looked great to them and they had no use for a too big iPad even if it was a retina display screen.

Sometimes its not about the best specs and its about how the device fits into your life.

Deasnutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011

Bulky? So you think the ipad was a mistake...don't think perhaps this has to do more with the competitors releasing products this month?

With the existence of the iPhone, this product is almost useless, as the screen quality is a deal breaker.

It's cute though.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I just came from the bar and people were loving my mini. I said that it doesnt have retina display and they said they didnt care about that. They said the screen looked great to them and they had no use for a too big iPad even if it was a retina display screen.

I wanted to show the scuffs on my iPhone 5 to my friend in the bar and even myself couldn't see them in dark :cool:

drenline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
the only reason the ipad mini is ahead of the ipad 3 is because the ipad 3 was a mistake.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I wanted to show the scuffs on my iPhone 5 to my friend in the bar and even myself couldn't see them in dark :cool:
What are you talking about? Dude people arent all spec whores. Is you want the best specs there are plenty of android devices with better specs than any of the iPads and iPhones and plastic and rubber dont scratch as easily....just sayin....

----------

Everyone here is brainwashed

Im brainwashed to do what works for me and not care if other people dont like what im doing or buying. You dont see me bashing people for doing what they think benefits them.

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
It's borderline retarded how every Apple fan tries to argue "It's not about hardware specs, it's about the experience" with the iPhones, yet with the iPad it's all about hardware specs.

I got a mini and I absolutely love it. I have big hands and like 99% of the people out there, HATED typing on an iPad. The mini is lightyears beyond the bigger iPad when it comes to typing. SO much more natural. I had the Galaxy Note for a couple of weeks and thought typing on that was great. It is even better on this. I was afraid that the screen might be too small but it's fantastic. My favorite app by far is HBO GO and it works so well on it. I got the iPad 3 as soon as it came out and like a lot of others was very underwhelmed by the retina display. It simply wasn't the jump from 3GS to 4, not nearly. On top of that, poor performance, horrible battery life and taking forever to charge had me downgrade to an iPad 2. It worked fine, but the iPad mini is so nice to hold and type on that I don't see myself going back to a regular iPad.

zauze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012

Sometimes its not about the best specs and its about how the device fits into your life.

THIS.

People who go on about on paper specs are kind of missing the point, IMO. User experience is king. And as a content consumption device iPad mini is tops in my book.

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Bulky? So you think the ipad was a mistake...don't think perhaps this has to do more with the competitors releasing products this month?

With the existence of the iPhone, this product is almost useless, as the screen quality is a deal breaker.

It's cute though.

Screen quality deal breaker? The retina on the iPad isn't even that great, and most apps don't support it. I guess if you sit there looking at the main screen all day then yes, it might be a deal breaker.

----------

THIS.

People who go on about on paper specs are kind of missing the point, IMO. User experience is king. And as a content consumption device iPad mini is tops in my book.

exactly, it's like I said before: when it comes to Iphone people scream user experience. With the Mini it's specs? Dumb.

----------

the only reason the ipad mini is ahead of the ipad 3 is because the ipad 3 was a mistake.

Yup.

PeterKG

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003

So a bunch of inebriated people approve of the display, and that means it is so? It is the specs. Nothing wrong with those who love the mini. But it is a lower spec. device, and next to a retina display it shows.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
So a bunch of inebriated people approve of the display, and that means it is so? It is the specs. Nothing wrong with those who love the mini. But it is a lower spec. device, and next to a retina display it shows.
I know this is hard for you wrap your head around but the only people that really care about specs are the people you see around these types of forums.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

Who said the people i was talking to were inebriated? You made that up yourself. Secondly it wasnt next to a retina display iPad...and inmost cases wont be.

carefreecork

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2012
UK
The iPad mini is indeed a lovely device and handling it in the store the size, weight, design and feel is great. But as a spectacles wearer I found the screen a little bit poor, especially compared to the iPhone since the 4. I will be getting a mini when it has a retina screen as any prolonged reading for me will be tiring. I am rather surprised that they didn't launch this product with what I thought to be a standard now for Apple phones and tablets.

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
Screen quality deal breaker? The retina on the iPad isn't even that great, and most apps don't support it. I guess if you sit there looking at the main screen all day then yes, it might be a deal breaker.

You clearly haven't used an iPad 3 past the first month if at that. Because trust me I'd notice if most apps were still failing to support it.

DoctorYuyi

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
Typing is far too constrained, the display is bad, and so is the processor.

iPad mini is the third in line for best ipad, not first.

Typing is actually easier for me. I have small hands so that's good for me. I know that's not the case for most people though.

The display isn't bad. It's just not as good as the best. Just because it's not the best that does not mean it's inherently bad. I don't remember anyone, not a single a person, claiming the iPad 2 had a bad display when it first came out.

Processor and RAM. Personally, I don't notice a difference because my uses for it don't need what the iPad 4..or 3 has. But again, that's just me.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR

I also went to a bar to ask if I should sell my imac to get the new 2012 model.... They all said they don't give damn about it. I came home crying...

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
THIS.

Yeah, I don't care about the processor and RAM, and the non-retina display is good enough for me (using one right now on my Mac Pro). The only paper spec I really care about is the camera, and the iPad mini has a good camera.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I don't remember anyone, not a single a person, claiming the iPad 2 had a bad display when it first came out.

I don't remember anyone saying 512mb of RAM was not enough when the first TI PowerBook came out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.