Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cnstoll

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
Hola,

Does anyone know if it's possible to get Aperture to use three monitors? Even a mirror of a photo on two of them, or a grid, and two comparison photos would be great.

Anyone know if that's possible?

Thanks,

- Conrad

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
AFAIK Aperture doesn't even support dual monitors.
Apple sucks at multi-monitor setups in general, so this was relatively unsurprising for me.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
Two monitors are definitely supported, have a read of this link:
http://www.apertureexpert.com/tips/2012/5/4/secondary-display-views-in-aperture-3.html

My favourite setup though is to select an image, press 'F' to bring the image up fullscreen on my main monitor, and then press 'H' to bring up the floating hud for adjustments, metadata etc and the '`' (tilde key) to bring up the loupe and have that set to 100% so I can check sharpness. I have the hud and loupe on my second screen.

Hope that helps. I've never had 3 screens at my disposal, so can't comment on what could be possible then - or instead of part of the Aperture interface, maybe have your email client or web browser there?

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
Apple sucks at multi-monitor setups in general, so this was relatively unsurprising for me.

Sucks? huh? I've never tried 3, but I use dual monitors all the time on my Macs - and it's as easy as can be. Depending on the model, you use a thunderbolt or mini-DVI or whichever connector is appropriate for that model, then go to displays in systems preferences and set up the second as you wish. Piece of cake.

As for taking advantage of a second or 3rd monitor with Aperture, that's maybe a bit trickier. To my knowledge, Aperture does not allow the user to open images in a separate window, which is the best way to use that second monitor.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK

Apple supports dual monitors shock. AFAICT you actually suck at knowing what you're talking about.

(MRs : Attachments displaying upside down? Click through to display correct orientation)

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 188

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Apple supports dual monitors shock. AFAICT you actually suck at knowing what you're talking about.

(MRs : Attachments displaying upside down? Click through to display correct orientation)

I do know what I'm talking about.
Macs suck at multi-monitor setups since full screen mode is restricted to one screen only. Windowed mode, it's the same as any operating system, which is to say pretty basic.
As for dual monitor setups, I suppose it's an issue of mismatched resolution that's messing with my setup as it has never worked properly for me.

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
As for dual monitor setups, I suppose it's an issue of mismatched resolution that's messing with my setup as it has never worked properly for me.

its just you, mismatched resolution is working and has been working for me for years.

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you

its just you, mismatched resolution is working and has been working for me for years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.