Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Hi all,
I'm currently running a jailbroken iPhone 4 with iOS 5.1.1 installed. I always wanted to see what android would offer and I like the fact that the Nexus 4 is actually not LTE, has good battery life and above all is quite cheap.

I play a lot of games, and use the usual apps for the day to day work. Although I would like to try out the Nexus 4, I still cannot justify why I would upgrade from the iPhone 4, since (with minor lags) it still runs perfectly smooth and I can customise it as I want.

Also, found it weird that in Android you cannot get a Push mail toggle, the same way as I have it with SbSettings and IntelliScreenX.

Am I just trying to justify getting a new toy, or is there something I'm not seeing?

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Hi all,
I'm currently running a jailbroken iPhone 4 with iOS 5.1.1 installed. I always wanted to see what android would offer and I like the fact that the Nexus 4 is actually not LTE, has good battery life and above all is quite cheap.

I play a lot of games, and use the usual apps for the day to day work. Although I would like to try out the Nexus 4, I still cannot justify why I would upgrade from the iPhone 4, since (with minor lags) it still runs perfectly smooth and I can customise it as I want.

Also, found it weird that in Android you cannot get a Push mail toggle, the same way as I have it with SbSettings and IntelliScreenX.

Am I just trying to justify getting a new toy, or is there something I'm not seeing?

What do you mean by push mail, meaning you want push email or you do not want it? I get push email on my Nexus 7. I am switching from an iPhone 4 to the Nexus 4 next week, I cannot see any downsides to be honest.

For me it is just time for a new phone and I do not want the iPhone 5 for lots of reasons.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I am not switching, since I use both Android and iOS concurrently, and enjoy them both.

But I am truly looking forward to the Nexus 4 I will be taking delivery of soon. It's the very first smartphone that has everything I want, and nothing I do not.

digital.l0gic

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2012
Hi all,

You Can

In ICS, JB or above you have the quick toggle bar (or inside settings) with the "sync" button which enables/disables syncing (this includes push email for gmail).

Furthermore, if u want to fine tune the sync option (eg: have evrything synced except the gmail..you can do that too..in settings). hope this helps :)

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Cool! Nice that you can turn syncing on/off.

Still, is there anybody in the same position? Meaning if they can justify the upgrade based on some facts, and not just on buying impulse?

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA

Still, is there anybody in the same position? Meaning if they can justify the upgrade based on some facts, and not just on buying impulse?

Well for me the facts are this:

1) My iPhone is over 2 years old, out of warranty, so if something happens I am looking at $150 or so to replace it. And then still I am buying two or three year old technology, so for a bit more I am getting a new phone and new technology.

2) I doubt Apple will support the iPhone with iOS upgrades next time around, adn if they do, what they add may just be minor with all the real features going to the latest phones. I know Google, being this is a pure Google phone should support it with the latest Android updates for a while.

3) Since this is from Google, I do not have to deal with carrier restricted updates and skins.

4) No contract! No matter which iPhone I upgrade to, unless I shell out massive amounts of cash I am locked in for two years. Given Apples upgrade path for hardware and software, an iPhone 5 will be left in the dust next year IMHO iOS wise.

5) Bored! iOS is boring to me, I love the Android 4.1 on my Nexus 7 and from what I have heard about 4.2 it is even better. So just for change and something fun an new, why not. Again with no contract I can easily sell it if I do not like it without worrying about contracts or phone upgrades.

6) Carrier selection, again, I can use this phone on any carrier I want for as long as I want and go to other countries and pop in a prepaid sim, can't do that with the iPhone unless it is unlocked.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012

I'm the same position. I've got a jailbroken iPhone 4 running iOS 5.1.1 and am considering buying the nexus 4. There's actually no real need for me to get a new phone. Still, my plan is to get the nexus 4 and return it within two weeks if it turns out that there's really no advantage to my iPhone. That's European law, dunno if you can do that where you come from.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Thanks for your insight Marc!

In fact I never thought about reason number one... If my phone falls and the glass breaks, I need to pay to get it replaced on a phone that is already 2 years old. If I sell it now I can get around 200€ or more for it, son essentially paying 150€ for a Nexus 4.

One question, I use Installous to try out applications, if I like them, I buy them just because Apple doesn't allow one to try out applications. Is there a way to try out applications in Android, or similar?

Anyway I would never update my iPhone anymore simply because of Apple Maps, that's just embarrassing and also for the fact that iOs6 is not jailbroken yet, and I never had a stock iPhone before. iOs is pointless if one is not able to jailbreak it.

Well for me the facts are this:

1) My iPhone is over 2 years old, out of warranty, so if something happens I am looking at $150 or so to replace it. And then still I am buying two or three year old technology, so for a bit more I am getting a new phone and new technology.

2) I doubt Apple will support the iPhone with iOS upgrades next time around, adn if they do, what they add may just be minor with all the real features going to the latest phones. I know Google, being this is a pure Google phone should support it with the latest Android updates for a while.

3) Since this is from Google, I do not have to deal with carrier restricted updates and skins.

4) No contract! No matter which iPhone I upgrade to, unless I shell out massive amounts of cash I am locked in for two years. Given Apples upgrade path for hardware and software, an iPhone 5 will be left in the dust next year IMHO iOS wise.

5) Bored! iOS is boring to me, I love the Android 4.1 on my Nexus 7 and from what I have heard about 4.2 it is even better. So just for change and something fun an new, why not. Again with no contract I can easily sell it if I do not like it without worrying about contracts or phone upgrades.

6) Carrier selection, again, I can use this phone on any carrier I want for as long as I want and go to other countries and pop in a prepaid sim, can't do that with the iPhone unless it is unlocked.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
@Grolubao, Google offers a small try/demo window :) i think its 15 minutes and during that time you can request a refund (simple click) might not be the same but def. better then the appstore approach.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
@Grolubao, Google offers a small try/demo window :) i think its 15 minutes and during that time you can request a refund (simple click) might not be the same but def. better then the appstore approach.

Yep that's right, Google allows 15 minutes to test an app. I would prefer 24 hours, but its better than nothing.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Nexus 4 battery life is suspect

http://www.talkandroid.com/139214-nexus-4-battery-life-not-so-good/

Nexus_4_Battery_Benchmark1.png

Nexus_4_Battery_Benchmark2.png

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Those are the same graphs from the other website so obviously talkandroid didnt conduct their own test.

I get it didnt test great with some and beter with others but again, they dont have the final OS on those phones yet. So basically they are using a beta.

Ill wait ad see if things improve batterywise when it is a finished product before i buy one. I may even wait to see if they will release a 32GB. Im thinking 16 just isnt going to cut it.....well see.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Nexus 4 has been known to have shipped to reviewers with unfinished software. I have read multiple reviews saying battery life sucked, and others saying battery life was great.

I have read conflicting reviews as well. Some say great battery life and some say not so great. I'm thinking it is will end up being great with the combination of the efficnecy of the S4 Pro and only having HSPA+ vs LTE

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I have read conflicting reviews as well. Some say great battery life and some say not so great. I'm thinking it is will end up being great with the combination of the efficnecy of the S4 Pro and only having HSPA+ vs LTE

That is a possibility. But while there are conflicting reports of battery life, there has also been consistent reports of strange behavior when it comes to benchmarks, leading just about every review I have read to say that Google shipped the Nexus 4 to reviewers with unfinished software, but a finished build will be shipping with devices to customers. We can only wait to find out.

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
I am going to the nexus 4 from an iPhone 4. So damn tired of ios I am also jail broken. I miss android. Ever since project butter I been waiting to jump back on it and nexus 4 is the perfect phone that. Had the nexus one and it was great.

My damn iPhone has been lagging and crashing like crazy lately. .

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
I am going to the nexus 4 from an iPhone 4. So damn tired of ios I am also jail broken. I miss android. Ever since project butter I been waiting to jump back on it and nexus 4 is the perfect phone that. Had the nexus one and it was great.

My damn iPhone has been lagging and crashing like crazy lately. .

Was just saying that to my gf this morning. My phone crashes, battery life is non existend and I am bored of it. I left the office at 5pm, came home at 8 - battery down to 46% ... by around 10 it was down to 5%. I know a lot is down to location options, Bluetoooth, wireless and the sorts but still, I am on my 3rd replacement now due to battery issues - Genie was taking a phone out of a box and it dropped 5% while talking to me - He gave me a new one without unboxing it - probably afraid it embarras him :)

Sold it now - can't wait for next week to say the least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.