Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cliffordncuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
this is the first post that I'm writing on MacRumors because i think i have to share this with u guys.

Got my iphone 5 3 weeks ago, the first thing i have noticed is the yellower and darker area at the top of the screen, it didn't go away as time passes so its definitely not a glue issue.

Went to the store and changed another one, and this time there was a darker line on the right side edge of the screen, its very obvious and the genius noticed this at the first glance when i showed the problem to him.

the third one, yellow at the top

the fourth one which was also a new unopened one, darker line on the right side edge.

have given up now and applied refund, will wait a month or two to see if the situation improves and i think its because of the problem with certain batches of stock which generally will have quality issues.

For now, the iphone 5 screen is just a joke, u guys might want to check the darker line issue too as 2 out of 4, if its not because I have extremely bad lucks, it should be a very common issue.

The darker line will be most obvious on grey background, u might want to just open AirPort and see if you have it

As to the unevenly tinted screen which has nothing to do with drying glue, i can pretty much say it happens to majority of iphone 5s now, its just a matter of the degree and your tolerance about it

Also did some extra researches, and it seems that the unevenly tinted screen (probably a problem with the backlight) is not a new topic but rather have existed for a long time. After the research i am pretty sure now that majority of iphones have this problem, again, its probably not major but definitely a degree of defect...
see this: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1254737/

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
At some point you have to just give up the ghost and move on. Sounds like you made a good decision. I don't suppose you took photos of these issues to share, did you?

cliffordncuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Sorry for not having photos to share.

I didn't take photos as I don't usually post things on forums but this time, i think i have to say something. these screen issues never happened on other apple products I have bought and for this time, i think apple really have some problems with picking the right screen manufacturer.

However, i believe this issue will be solved with some time, i will just try my luck months later because its still a great phone...

Probably buy from another store, I have driven the geniuses crazy in my local store.....

blaake

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2012
Florida
this is the first post that I'm writing on MacRumors because i think i have to share this with u guys.

Got my iphone 5 3 weeks ago, the first thing i have noticed is the yellower and darker area at the top of the screen, it didn't go away as time passes so its definitely not a glue issue.

Went to the store and changed another one, and this time there was a darker line on the right side edge of the screen, its very obvious and the genius noticed this at the first glance when i showed the problem to him.

the third one, yellow at the top

the fourth one which was also a new unopened one, darker line on the right side edge.

have given up now and applied refund, will wait a month or two to see if the situation improves and i think its because of the problem with certain batches of stock which generally will have quality issues.

For now, the iphone 5 screen is just a joke, u guys might want to check the darker line issue too as 2 out of 4, if its not because I have extremely bad lucks, it should be a very common issue.

The darker line will be most obvious on grey background, u might want to just open AirPort and see if you have it

What provider do you have?

cliffordncuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Yes, sorry

I don't have a binding contract and i am using a sim-only plan which you can cancel at any time you want, despite this it pays like a contract and its post-paid monthly and my carrier is Vodafone

by the way i live in Australia and Vodafone Aus is another famous joke here

cliffordncuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
and also, i just want to make a friendly suggestion here for u guys

for those who are very sensitive about colors and care a lot about screen performance, now is really not a good time to get an iphone 5

As i also read chinese iphone forums, a few people working at Foxconn write posts saying that they are now rushing to make those phones assembled to meet the high demand

this means that the chance of having all sorts of issues is very high at the moment especially with the screen which is very sensitive to assembling quality

i assume there will be a lot of small issues with the screen now and for majority of people, these issues can be ignored and sometimes are even not noticed with normal use.

i don't know which manufacturers are providing the screen now, but as time goes and production expands, there will be less of them

blaake

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2012
Florida
and also, i just want to make a friendly suggestion here for u guys

for those who are very sensitive about colors and care a lot about screen performance, now is really not a good time to get an iphone 5

As i also read chinese iphone forums, a few people working at Foxconn write posts saying that they are now rushing to make those phones assembled to meet the high demand

this means that the chance of having all sorts of issues is very high at the moment especially with the screen which is very sensitive to assembling quality

i assume there will be a lot of small issues with the screen now and for majority of people, these issues can be ignored and sometimes are even not noticed with normal use.

i don't know which manufacturers are providing the screen now, but as time goes and production expands, there will be less of them

Makes perfect sense.

----------

I don't have a binding contract and i am using a sim-only plan which you can cancel at any time you want, despite this it pays like a contract and its post-paid monthly and my carrier is Vodafone

by the way i live in Australia and Vodafone Aus is another famous joke here

If you didnt purchase your phone through an carrier, your only option really is the apple store

localhost8080

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2012
i dont think these issues come from apple specifically, they sound like deeper problems:

suppliers saying that they can provide x number of devices in y timeframe.

when the crunch comes they have to relax the QA procedures because they simply cant get the numbers up :(

hopefully apple sort this out!!

cliffordncuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
i dont think these issues come from apple specifically, they sound like deeper problems:

suppliers saying that they can provide x number of devices in y timeframe.

when the crunch comes they have to relax the QA procedures because they simply cant get the numbers up :(

hopefully apple sort this out!!

you are absolutely right, also the complexity of assembling iphone5 added some fuel to this. a senior manager at foxconn claimed that iphone5 is the most complex product they have ever dealt with and is causing a lot of problems to them

this means that a learning by doing process is being taken and the by-products of this process, well, the 4 iphone5s I have tried.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.