Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Anyone else seeing that the bottom of their 4S screen (when held in portrait mode, home button on bottom) is noticeably brighter than the top of the screen? It is on mine. Not really a deal breaker but it's a little annoying. Didn't have that issue on my 1st gen, 3G, or 3GS. Especially noticeable in iBooks where you have a solid white screen, or on many web pages.

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
Yes, I have the same issue. Really annoying. Very nice 4/5 of the screen, the top 1/5 looks dark and dirty.

glhughes

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2009
I returned my (3rd) 4S for that kind of issue. If it bugs you I'd suggest doing the same while you still can. Sadly, the screen on that one was the most neutral of the 3 I've had (first was green, second blue).

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
The apple geniuses treated me like I have 5 heads. "I don't see it.". He shows it to the geniuses next to him, barely looks at it and says, "I don't see it." frustrating to say the least. He eventually offered to swap my phone as a way to get rid of me, but I declined. Almost all the display models have this issue with a rare iPhone that doesn't. I currently have a vibrant, crisp, and blue screen as a replacement for a yellow one so I didn't want to take any chances. The genius refuse to let me check out a replacement phone without completing the swap first. He says there was no going back once that is done. Interesting enough, my yellow screen is completely uniform.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Keep in mind if you recently just got yours, sometimes it takes awhile for the glass and the digitalizer to come together. And it could be just that. Have you tried taking a screen shot and then placing it on the computer? And seeing the difference? Maybe show it to Apple? Plus they should EXCHANGE it for you not swap it. Oh and that's if you bought it at an Apple Store. If not then you have to go back to the place which you bought it from and ask for an exchange.

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
My screen is perfect. I was worried though because back in the summer I compared my 3GS to the iPhone 4 in the store and the iPhone 4 in the store was yellow compared to my 3GS but my 4S no problem!

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
Keep in mind if you recently just got yours, sometimes it takes awhile for the glass and the digitalizer to come together. And it could be just that. Have you tried taking a screen shot and then placing it on the computer? And seeing the difference? Maybe show it to Apple? Plus they should EXCHANGE it for you not swap it. Oh and that's if you bought it at an Apple Store. If not then you have to go back to the place which you bought it from and ask for an exchange.

No, this issue will be permenant. My friend's iPhone 4 from last year still has the dimming at the top.

My wife's white 4s got the dimming on top real bad but doesn't bother her at all so I'll leave it alone. But it does bug the heck out of me.

After looking so closely at these screen, there is at least 3 different manufacturers for the panels. The white iPhone has a warm white screen. The black ones varies tremendously from overly yellow to overly blue. Some are blue and extremely washed out, like pushing gamma to the max. My advice to anybody, if you like your screen right now, don't bother exchanging as your next phone might be much worst.

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
I started another threat about this problem, it seems to affect more people already. Will post the pic of my actual screen here, may be I am going crazy but I can see slighty dimmer top of the screen:
02d65102-8f92-bfa8.jpg

Anyway, most probably my next replacement will have worse problems, so I am stick with this one. Feel like a dumba** when have to explain to the Genius, so better to live with it.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Wow, you are looking at the worst possible case, dark room and bright plain screen. Yours is still darn near perfect. One of the best I've seen. All the Geniuses can't be wrong. Enjoy. :cool:

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
This is how my wife's phone looks like. I have a black one, very similar.

The top is dimmer. Reading in landscape is very annoying. The bottom of the screen is absolutely beautiful, that makes things even worst as you go up. The dimmer portion looks yellowish and dirty, almost like excess glue particles that got on the screen.

I think I will take it back and get it another go.

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    803.2 KB · Views: 348

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I don't see anything wrong in these 2 pictures posted above.

Maybe we could probably see it better in real life.

Edit-Kmarts picture looks like the left side of the screen is darker than the right. But its the whole left side of the screen from top to bottom.

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
This is how my wife's phone looks like. I have a black one, very similar.

The top is dimmer. Reading in landscape is very annoying. The bottom of the screen is absolutely beautiful, that makes things even worst as you go up. The dimmer portion looks yellowish and dirty, almost like excess glue particles that got on the screen.

I think I will take it back and get it another go.

Here is a shot how mine looks at 50% brightness level with auto-brightness on.

Do you think it is acceptable?

2e731889-aea8-32f0.jpg

2e731889-b0e8-5593.jpg

At 30% brightness:

2e731889-b355-09ed.jpg

Last edited:

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
I don't see anything wrong with your screen. You Defintely need a higher resolution camera. You probably have the same issue with my black one, darker for about 20% of the top at the earpiece. Subtle but I can see it everytime.

AR15MBP

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
USA
i have the same problem. it's very noticeable when looking at emails or a white background in safari. i exchanged my launch day phone for this reason, got another one, same issue but less noticeable. new one has a speck of dust under the glass however. not been a great experience so far. i will probably try to exchange this one as well.

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
i have the same problem. it's very noticeable when looking at emails or a white background in safari. i exchanged my launch day phone for this reason, got another one, same issue but less noticeable. new one has a speck of dust under the glass however. not been a great experience so far. i will probably try to exchange this one as well.

Hah, EXACTLY same story as yours!!!!
Got it on launch day, same day returned because of very dimmer top half, second one is this on the pics I gave here - a lot better, but with spec of dust under the glass....
Still wondering if it's worth to go for exchange if the next one will have same or even worse problems...

nuarva

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
me too... top 10-20% of screen is dimmer... but I'm a bit scared to exchange in case i get one with more problems... so I may just learn to live with it...

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010

the screen is no more going to "heal" itself than the people here are going to get over being OCD.

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Darn, looks like I'm not alone on this. My top is dimmer than the rest of the screen. I have been debating whether to get a replacement or not...

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Darn, looks like I'm not alone on this. My top is dimmer than the rest of the screen. I have been debating whether to get a replacement or not...

They have fresh refurbs waiting for you at your local Apple store.

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
Today I saw the screen of friend of mine, who bought his phone a week ago. That was terrible screen experience- dimmer top and bottom of the screen and one very obvious brighter line across the middle. Also a bit yellowish..
I think I will forget about replacement for the moment...
It seems that there is no a perfect one..or atleast any with normal QC

Last edited:

DuckSoup

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
Upstate Central NY
Got my 4S yesterday. Just checked out my screen with a multi-colored flashlight app and in all colors my screen looks uniformly lit. So I lucked out in this regard.

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.