Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I ordered one of those fake plastic ones. I'll post here when I get it. It's coming from China without a tracking number, so it'll be a while.

speedster4005

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
Singtel LTE on Draco 5

Here you go... taken a while ago as promised...
The images are located in this photo stream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/89829602@N08/

LTE
8163014030_05eb43e89a_b.jpg

3G
8162981263_397fa00248_b.jpg

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
sorry I have no relationship to Draco...

When I say we mean those group of Draco 5 users in Singapore Forum (as stated by speedster4005) whom are also posting our result testing on signal.

I'm also a Draco 5 user and also share the same concern...

I cant state for USA but in Singapore we are not really affected by Draco 5 signal issue.

Hope that help clear the air...

You said you werent affected at all, "not really affected" what does that mean, this has already been proven by cheaper bumpers that cover the four side antennas it hampers signal, I still call BS because USA iphones and ones shipped overseas are the same and use the same technology, and you guys are going through an awful lot of trouble on multipe forums to try to prove that it "doesnt affect signal at all"
not to mention if you look at your posts you keep bad mouthing element sector 5, claim to know which draco cases are real and which ones are fake, defend the draco 5 when somebody pointed out two different instances were it had low 3g signal before you claimed to have even gotten one, knew the exact color of one without even being able to really see it, kinda a lot of evidence there, not to mention speedster4005 was an account created today, go figure. Oh when you posted this also
"For iphone5, don't think any metal bumper will cause any signal lost issue now unless the back panel is cover by metal. To be correct the top and bottom back panel is cover by metal.

"the iPhone 5’s back panel features a cell antenna on the top and bottom of the device, surrounded by a thin strip of glass that allows Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth and other signals to “peek” through. These antennas are so far apart that unless you have freaklish long hands, it’s impossible to “bridge” them with your grip. So long Antennagate."

Read more at http://www.cultofmac.com/190499/why...a-case-for-your-iphone-5/#oigTLhFM5rjFrEXi.99

you didn't mention that is a pre production phone and the actual phone has 4 antennas on the sides like the 4 and 4s and those are completely covered, two on the top connected to the glas two on the bottom, and the reason the signal is negated is because a full metal bumper bridges these two antennas together creating in sense another antennagate because they are constantly connected to each other with a metal part causing signal disruption, this is taken away in cases like the sector 5 and vapor pro which have plastic pieces cutting this off because most plastics and polymers don't conduct electricity, this is why this case will never work long story short a artifically created antennagate.

Last edited:

keigo

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
You said you werent affected at all, "not really affected" what does that mean, this has already been proven by cheaper bumpers that cover the four side antennas it hampers signal, I still call BS because USA iphones and ones shipped overseas are the same and use the same technology, and you guys are going through an awful lot of trouble on multipe forums to try to prove that it "doesnt affect signal at all"
not to mention if you look at your posts you keep bad mouthing element sector 5, claim to know which draco cases are real and which ones are fake, defend the draco 5 when somebody pointed out two different instances were it had low 3g signal before you claimed to have even gotten one, knew the exact color of one without even being able to really see it, kinda a lot of evidence there, not to mention speedster4005 was an account created today, go figure. Oh when you posted this also
"For iphone5, don't think any metal bumper will cause any signal lost issue now unless the back panel is cover by metal. To be correct the top and bottom back panel is cover by metal.

"the iPhone 5’s back panel features a cell antenna on the top and bottom of the device, surrounded by a thin strip of glass that allows Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth and other signals to “peek” through. These antennas are so far apart that unless you have freaklish long hands, it’s impossible to “bridge” them with your grip. So long Antennagate."

Read more at http://www.cultofmac.com/190499/why...a-case-for-your-iphone-5/#oigTLhFM5rjFrEXi.99

you didn't mention that is a pre production phone and the actual phone has 4 antennas on the sides like the 4 and 4s and those are completely covered, two on the top connected to the glas two on the bottom, and the reason the signal is negated is because a full metal bumper bridges these two antennas together creating in sense another antennagate because they are constantly connected to each other with a metal part causing signal disruption, this is taken away in cases like the sector 5 and vapor pro which have plastic pieces cutting this off because most plastics and polymers don't conduct electricity, this is why this case will never work long story short a artifically created antennagate.

Hi

If you want to play with words and just want to quarrel and keep self believe we are from Draco so be it.

All those message pointed out by you from our past posting are just 1 sided story to make yourself believe we are from Draco and totally not even close to telling a completed picture. And why did you never post that me and speedster4005 also mention that we had brought the sector 5. And also the posting where we are also waiting for Draco 5 shippment to be in? Or where my past posting complaining that Draco keep delaying shipping their Draco 5?

Me and speedster4005 just trying to be friendly and share our finding in our local forum and this is the kind of behaviour we encounter. :mad::mad:

I will reframe from posting else wait another crazy person claim I'm working for Apple just because I say I have iPhone and love it.

Last edited:

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
Hi

If you want to play with words and just want to quarrel and keep self believe we are from Draco so be it.

Me and speedster4005 just trying to be friendly and share our finding in our local forum and this is the kind of behaviour we encounter. :mad::mad:

Well I think Draco pandering this off at 90 dollars saying it doesn't affect your signal and service is a scam and unethical when it blatenly does I myself ordered it and canncelled after much research, i'm sure the numerous people and forums members that ordered this and now have to pay to ship it back to return it and pay a restocking fee are going to feel scammed also and I feel like anybody associated with company that does that is bad news, can't prove you are can't prove you're not and it doesn't really matter I put it on paper why this case can't work. unless the antenna was completely on the back and not touching any of the metal case it won't work.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
For the people in the US that do own this phone I would suggest trying to put electrical tape around the outer edge or something that doesn't conduct electricty and put it were the phone makes condact with the case. This could stop it possibly

The buttons on the case are metal aren't they, that might not work unless the buttons were plastic because it contacts those on all those points.

And on second look those four pieces on the outside corners of the phone might not be antennas but plastic pieces to stop this same affect on the phone because its a unibody aluminum frame.

Last edited:

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I'm seeing max one bar in dropped reception. And that's just by looking deep with field test by dialing *3001#12345#*. Same as before. Have no trouble making calls in an area where I get 3 bars. WiFi reception is also unaffected.

Last edited:

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
I'm seeing max one bar in dropped reception. And that's just by looking deep with field test by dialing *3001#12345#*. Same as before. Have no trouble making calls in an area where I get 3 bars. WiFi reception is also unaffected.

It doesn't destroy the signal completely it causes cross talk or intereference between the two antennas degrading the signal I don't think it would degrade wifi because its a singular antenna. This is why all other unibody metal cases have problems and the ones with plastic inserts don't the plastic insert acts like a terminator and stops the circuit from connecting.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
It doesn't destroy the signal completely it causes cross talk or intereference between the two antennas degrading the signal I don't think it would degrade wifi because its a singular antenna. This is why all other unibody metal cases have problems and the ones with plastic inserts don't the plastic insert acts like a terminator and stops the circuit from connecting.

Not sure what interference you're talking about, but I'm using my iPhone exactly as I did without the Draco on without any issues. THe interior does have rubber inserts, not as much as there should be but enough.

With that said, these type of metal cases are definitely a your-mileage-may-vary. I've got no LTE in my area to test though.

rc0310

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
img0201vb.jpg

img0202ua.jpg

I've had my case for over a week now..

LTE is dead when the case is on. I'm from Vancouver, Canada on Fido/Rogers LTE network.. one of Canada's biggest carrier with best coverage..

even if it saids LTE, when you try to use any data.. you'll find out that there is actually no connection.

img02101.png

img02111w.png

3G, voice, and wifi works fine.. that's why I'm still using this case.. :p

img02131.png

Let's hope Draco team can fix up the LTE problem with a new design..

Last edited:

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
Not sure what interference you're talking about, but I'm using my iPhone exactly as I did without the Draco on without any issues. THe interior does have rubber inserts, not as much as there should be but enough.

With that said, these type of metal cases are definitely a your-mileage-may-vary.

Rubber inserts are to protect the phone from scratching because their both aluminum and are the same on the MOHS scale so they wouls scratch each other, the phone still makes contact with the case in other areas like the buttones and front etc. This is apparently too scientific I just urge that people do their research before buying.

I think I read somwhere crosstalk or co channel intereference is more prevelent in LTE because of how the data is transmited.

Gray bishop

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2012
a few of us did research for this thread, by purchasing the bumper, trying it out for a few days, then making a decision to return it or keep it.....
I got mine literally 2 days before Hurricane Sandy and I have to admit I loved the way it looked on the 5, but the lack of LTE and the bars dropping in various locations made me send it back the moment the storm was over......

I have to applaud Draco though, I mailed it back a few days ago and they even refunded me for the shipping fees...... great company to do business with, I just hope by the time the 6 sells they've done their research and work with materials that won't affect reception but are still strong physically..........

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Rubber inserts are to protect the phone from scratching because their both aluminum and are the same on the MOHS scale so they wouls scratch each other, the phone still makes contact with the case in other areas like the buttones and front etc. This is apparently too scientific I just urge that people do their research before buying.

I think I read somwhere crosstalk or co channel intereference is more prevelent in LTE because of how the data is transmited.

These cases are purely for show. Nothing about them is practical. But saying they kill signal isn't true.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
These cases are purely for show. Nothing about them is practical. But saying they kill signal isn't true.

Its scientifically proven why it kills signal if you actually took the time to look it up you would see that but obviously you're just saying no with no actual evidence you're saying it to say it. Its like arguing about politics a part of the population will just go with what they hears on the radio or see on tv whats written by other people, not by going and researching it and getting proof, I learned about these things because it was my college major.

rc0310

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010

well.. it killed my LTE.. :eek:

3G, voice, and wifi are fine though :)

----------

Its scientifically proven why it kills signal if you actually took the time to look it up you would see that but obviously you're just saying no with no actual evidence you're saying it to say it. Its like arguing about politics a part of the population will just go with what they hears on the radio or see on tv whats written by other people, not by going and researching it and getting proof, I learned about these things because it was my college major.

hey I believe you.. my LTE is dead! :(

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
It's not that great. The power button can't reach. Kind of hurts your hand

Is it possible to cut out an old rubber button from another case and place it over the power button and fix that problem? Like leave enough area on the outside for the case to hold it on

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008

Why are you sitting there and arguing about my signal reception using the Draco 5? The real world usage results aren't as bad as you're making them to be, why bother contemplating.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
Why are you sitting there and arguing about my signal reception using the Draco 5? The real world usage results aren't as bad as you're making them to be, why bother contemplating.

yeah real world usage proves it kills signal, full bodied cases have killed signal since the iphone 4 unless they were partially plastic people responded to you here with the case its all over hundreds of reviews here, other forums and legitimate sites like CNET whats the point in saying a bear is black when its brown, you're making yourself look just ignorant and stupid.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
yeah real world usage proves it kills signal, full bodied cases have killed signal since the iphone 4 unless they were partially plastic people responded to you here with the case its all over hundreds of reviews here, other forums and legitimate sites like CNET whats the point in saying a bear is black when its brown, you're making yourself look just ignorant and stupid.

Then why isn't it killing my signal? Please explain if you will.. I'm not saying everyone will see the same results, obviously it will come down to cell towers and interference of various kinds.

The irony is that the Draco 5's worst drawback isn't even that it might degrade your reception.

Pjstock42

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Should be getting mine today. My crappy town/state doesn't have LTE and probably won't for years so I'll most likely keep it. The only time I ever get LTE is when I'm in the airport in DC/Boston/NYC and that won't be a huge loss.

speedster4005

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
I am not sure if it helps reduce the issue on interference, but my phone has the Sector 5 rash guard on it when I put on the Draco.

I also noticed that the Sector 5 has a heavy padding on the top part (power button side) whilst the Draco does not have it.

Pjstock42

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Just got mine and put it on. Initial impressions:

-Pain in the ass to put on, mostly because of the mute button
-Once on, it looks quite nice
-Doesn't sit flat on a table/flat surface, wobbles around which is annoying
-Fit of the case doesn't seem very precise, high amount of give on the left side and lots of wiggle room for the phone inside of the case
-Don't have LTE where I am so can't comment on that, 3g/4g reception seems unaffected

Overall, probably not worth $90, but this was a gift so I'll be using it for now, at least until Element releases something for the 5 that isn't the horribly ugly Sector.

rc0310

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
I am not sure if it helps reduce the issue on interference, but my phone has the Sector 5 rash guard on it when I put on the Draco.

I also noticed that the Sector 5 has a heavy padding on the top part (power button side) whilst the Draco does not have it.

Can you take pictures of the Sector 5 rash guard on your phone?

And how is your LTE reception with it installed? Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.