Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gray bishop

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2012
Can you please take a picture of the top DRACO case open slot...:confused:

topofdraco.jpg

there you go

Gray bishop

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2012
:D thank you... hmm If I lose one bar with this case, I can live with this handicap.:cool:

what was weird for me is the loss of LTE, the moment I took it off the LTE kicked right back in, normally I wouldnt make a fuss over speed, but compared to the 4S, I've really grown found of the LTE on the 5...........

since I am in this [superstorm] I'm going to give it a few days and see how the service is with the case on after Sandy passes. I'm currently getting 1-3 bars with it in the Switcheasy Nude while the storm hovers over NYC

bigcat

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
what was weird for me is the loss of LTE, the moment I took it off the LTE kicked right back in, normally I wouldnt make a fuss over speed, but compared to the 4S, I've really grown found of the LTE on the 5...........

since I am in this [superstorm] I'm going to give it a few days and see how the service is with the case on after Sandy passes. I'm currently getting 1-3 bars with it in the Switcheasy Nude while the storm hovers over NYC

so you have 1-3 bars regardless of the case you put the phone in?

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
I got one of the plastic dracos as well. No screws. Front and back snap together. A pit tough getting it off, but it feels nice. Soft matte finish.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
I got one of the plastic dracos as well. No screws. Front and back snap together. A pit tough getting it off, but it feels nice. Soft matte finish.

Yep, happy with mine. I guess i'll keep it until EC comes out with more variations of the Sector or a new design.

indyzzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2010
Ive always wondered why these aluminum case manufacturers dont make plastic versions of their cases. Thank you Chinese "innovators"

mortfe

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
How many bars are you losing? At&t or VZW? Mine still sitting on USPS truck till tomorrow.

bigcat

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
Ive always wondered why these aluminum case manufacturers dont make plastic versions of their cases. Thank you Chinese "innovators"

Because aluminum looks way better than crappy plastic. I would think only a fraction of buyers realize that they just lost a bar or two of signal because of the fancy ~$100 case they just bought.

Purgatoiry

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2012
Just got my red draco v in the mail. Usually sit at 1 bar LTE in my house -111 in field test. With the case installed i have no LTE. Currently 2 bars 3g. -103.

Download/upload speeds on wifi remain the same. The ping however has gone from 13ms to 70ms.

I'll try it out today around town and see if i pick up LTE in other stronger areas. It will be a deal breaker if i don't get LTE at work.

This case does look amazing though.

indyzzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2010
Because aluminum looks way better than crappy plastic. I would think only a fraction of buyers realize that they just lost a bar or two of signal because of the fancy ~$100 case they just bought.

I have a nice plasticky case from Graft Concepts. Has a great glossy white finish that looks good as new even after several drops and does not affect the signal. It cost 40$ too, which is quite reasonable compared to some aluminum signal killers.

Gray bishop

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2012
Just got my red draco v in the mail. Usually sit at 1 bar LTE in my house -111 in field test. With the case installed i have no LTE. Currently 2 bars 3g. -103.

Download/upload speeds on wifi remain the same. The ping however has gone from 13ms to 70ms.

I'll try it out today around town and see if i pick up LTE in other stronger areas. It will be a deal breaker if i don't get LTE at work.

This case does look amazing though.

Same here, with Sandy gone (for the most part) I went to 3 different towns around NYC, LTE worked great and I averaged 4 to 5 bars. I'll give it a few more days of testing.......
took a snapshot while I was walking, couldn't believe how good the reception was at the moment, my girl's 4S also has 1 bar in the house, so AT&T is having issues locally it seems.......
photo.png

Last edited:

vsighi

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
San Diego, CA
I just received my DRACOdesign case today...BAD NEWS, It dose kill your signal:mad:

AT&T - Outside San Diego 5 bars/LTE with out DRACO case...with the case on 3-4 bars but my LTE is on/off

Home 3-4 bars LTE with out case...with the case on same 3-4 bars but 4G internet:mad:

This is bad...now it look like my WI-FI signal is down to one bar inside my home ( with the case on )...:confused:

Be a ware of signal lost before you buy it...me, I will keep it and deal with all this signal lost my self :cool:

Last edited:

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
Same here, with Sandy gone (for the most part) I went to 3 different towns around NYC, LTE worked great and I averaged 4 to 5 bars. I'll give it a few more days of testing.......
took a snapshot while I was walking, couldn't believe how good the reception was at the moment, my girl's 4S also has 1 bar in the house, so AT&T is having issues locally it seems.......

Can you post the wallpaper please?

Purgatoiry

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2012
I've been testing this case some more around town and i can say it absolutely destroys LTE signal. I tried a full body protector with the sides hoping it would help isolate the antenna from the case but it didn't work at all. This is a verizon phone, has anyone tested it with AT&T?

vsighi

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
San Diego, CA
I've been testing this case some more around town and i can say it absolutely destroys LTE signal. I tried a full body protector with the sides hoping it would help isolate the antenna from the case but it didn't work at all. This is a verizon phone, has anyone tested it with AT&T?

With AT&T is bad as Verison.

danny0220

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
So I contacted DRACOdesign Team about possible fixes in the future for the case, cuz I really like the design of this case. Here's their response back to me (in case anyone is interested):

"Hi Danny,

Thank you for contacting us.

The DRACO 5 has been tested with the iPhone 5, and it has minimal affect to the signal reception. The DRACO 5 is designed to go around the edge of the phone, whereas the iPhone antennas are embedded in the top and bottom bars on the back of the phone.

To make your purchase more comfortable, we will offer 14 days return policy for your order. If you don't like the product, simply return it within 14 days and we will refund your purchase. Please note buyer will be responsible for return shipping, and the return item must be in new sellable condition with it's original package box.

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions. Thank you.

Best Regards,

DRACOdesign Team"

Just wanted to state the load of horse @#$! in this email.
1. signal loss, from what ppl here who have bought the case state, not minimal

2. antenna are NOT embedded in the glass portions on the back of the phone
http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/n4yuSLdaluoxL5EY.large
guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/JhpPxZNaktREQaYE.large

3. I have to pay for shipping costs for a return item that did not function as the manufacturer had state

4. It is impossible to try out a product and maintain it as "new". Once an item is removed from a packaging, it is deemed "used"

HATS OFF TO YOU DRACO!

keigo

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
So I contacted DRACOdesign Team about possible fixes in the future for the case, cuz I really like the design of this case. Here's their response back to me (in case anyone is interested):

"Hi Danny,

Thank you for contacting us.

The DRACO 5 has been tested with the iPhone 5, and it has minimal affect to the signal reception. The DRACO 5 is designed to go around the edge of the phone, whereas the iPhone antennas are embedded in the top and bottom bars on the back of the phone.

To make your purchase more comfortable, we will offer 14 days return policy for your order. If you don't like the product, simply return it within 14 days and we will refund your purchase. Please note buyer will be responsible for return shipping, and the return item must be in new sellable condition with it's original package box.

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions. Thank you.

Best Regards,

DRACOdesign Team"

Just wanted to state the load of horse @#$! in this email.
1. signal loss, from what ppl here who have bought the case state, not minimal

2. antenna are NOT embedded in the glass portions on the back of the phone
http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/n4yuSLdaluoxL5EY.large
guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/JhpPxZNaktREQaYE.large

3. I have to pay for shipping costs for a return item that did not function as the manufacturer had state

4. It is impossible to try out a product and maintain it as "new". Once an item is removed from a packaging, it is deemed "used"

HATS OFF TO YOU DRACO!

yes this kind of response, is just showing they r not interested and claim you are lier...

so telling you either you keep or return, i'm not interested in your business..

if confirm everyone having the issue, we could all post in their Facebook..

mortfe

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
Got it today because of Sandy. IPhone tomorrow, I hope. Returning mine if you guys are all right. Will update.

Ipaddict

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012

Dude where did you get that screen lock? Can you share?
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.