Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I have a question that hopefully someone can help me with.

Based on what is written in the story, how would this new display for the iPad mini compare to the current retina display on the iPad 4?

Based on pixel count and resolution, would it be better, the same or not as good?

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I really should return this thing and wait cause I KNOW a better one is coming. However I use it ALL the time and will miss it like crazy!

Then your best bet is to use it like crazy for many months, and then get a new Retina model when thy come out. Likely you'll use the new one too when you get it.

Don't let the best be the enemy of the good.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Both reports claim that the Retina-level iPad mini display would carry a density of 497 pixels per inch (ppi), whereas such a display would actually have the same 326 ppi seen on the last several generations of the iPhone.

Ah, 2 x 163 PPI = 326 PPI—exactly the same as the iPhone Retina display. I hadn't notice that before! Seems ever so coincidental that Apple designers considered 7.9 inches to be the perfect size for the mini, and that doubling the number of pixels of the iPad 2 at that size just happens to perfectly match the resolution of the iPhone Retina display.

I wonder if Apple had all this worked out for some time, or if the numbers just happened to fall into place?

I have a question that hopefully someone can help me with.

Based on what is written in the story, how would this new display for the iPad mini compare to the current retina display on the iPad 4?

Based on pixel count and resolution, would it be better, the same or not as good?

It would be 326 PPI, compared to 264 PPI for the 9.5 inch iPad with Retina Display. Same overall number of pixels, just packed into a smaller space.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Expect even lower sales now after all these rumours... who is going to buy a tablet that will be obsolete in half a year?

A lot of people. You're assuming that a new one will be out in 6 months...I think it's more likely a year. There's a lot of people that will feel that the cost now is well worth not waiting a year to get the new version; and there's even people that will keep the old one after the new one is released. It will still be perfectly usable in a year, there will just be an improved version of it. Imagine that...not everyone has to have the newest and best all the time. ;)

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
Isn't this true for all tech products? You know something better will come along.

Yes, but for my usage, if the mini had a retina display I'd be happy for a long time. All I do is read and surf the web on it. No games and stronger than fruit ninja.

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2009
Ah, 2 x 163 PPI = 326 PPI—exactly the same as the iPhone Retina display. I hadn't notice that before! Seems ever so coincidental that Apple designers considered 7.9 inches to be the perfect size for the mini, and that doubling the number of pixels of the iPad 2 at that size just happens to perfectly match the resolution of the iPhone Retina display.

I wonder if Apple had all this worked out for some time, or if the numbers just happened to fall into place?

It would be 326 PPI, compared to 264 PPI for the 10" iPad Retina.
I'm pretty sure they had it all worked out from the very beginning as anyone who develops decent products have a good long-term stratedgy. I've only adopt the 1st Gen iPad mini to determine whether I need the larger iPad or not. Then I will jump to the 2nd gen device.

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
Cost and Size and Competition

Well it's about time the iPad mini get the retina display. Seriously, why did Apple release the mini without it?

The competition doesn't have a retina display of the iPad Mini's screen size and depth. Seems to me that the technology hasn't improved enough to make a retina display at the right price point in a device that small.

Hopefully the technology will improve to where they can have the same screen size, depth, and weight PLUS a retina display. I'd be really surprised (but very happy) if they can pull this off in the 2nd generation device. That would be one awesome device!

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010

Apple is freaking brilliant. ISTM that they are looking forward to efficient manufacturing of sheets of displays. Brilliant.

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
Mini Rulez

I'm pretty sure they had it all worked out from the very beginning as anyone who develops decent products have a good long-term stratedgy. I've only adopt the 1st Gen iPad mini to determine whether I need the larger iPad or not. Then I will jump to the 2nd gen device.

I really like the Mini...it makes the regular iPad seem huge and really heavy in comparison. I'm not missing my retina iPad.

Tigger11

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Rocket City, USA
Well it's about time the iPad mini get the retina display. Seriously, why did Apple release the mini without it?

Because the technology didnt exist to make the retina display and sell the product this year. I think everyone who is guessing that we are going to see a retina screen in March seems to glossing over the fact this report says they are going to have these screens ready for production in quantity for the 4th quarter. That is likely Apples fiscal 4th quarter, so July-Sept 2013, so in about a year we will see a retina iPad mini.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
This is why I wouldn't waste my money on the 1st generation Mini. You know that a Retina version is on the way.

But then why did people waste their money on MBA's earlier this year despite us all knowing a retina one will come eventually... Why will people buy the new iMacs when we'll eventually have retina in them as well!

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Yes, but for my usage, if the mini had a retina display I'd be happy for a long time. All I do is read and surf the web on it. No games and stronger than fruit ninja.

What if the iMini had a robust enough CPU and enough RAM to do real-time audio translation so you could talk to someone fluently who only speaks some foreign language? Would you buy a new one then?

C'mon. Hopefully, we're going to see some great and amazing stuff come out of this tablet form factor.

LoraoTX

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012
Expect even lower sales now after all these rumours... who is going to buy a tablet that will be obsolete in half a year?

Unfortunately every year something new comes up from Apple. If you maintain that mentality.. you will always be waiting for the 'next thing' and end up never having 'a' product.

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
Fortunately the functionality will be the same on a retina iPad Mini. I think we all knew they would be adding this next year anyways.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
The issue here is not powering retina on a Mini.
The issue is does the mini have enough internal space to have a battery large enough to give a good battery life with a retina screen?

IGZO screens can allow more light through when needed, so you don't need such a powerful LED. This will be a major battery saver, possibly enough to offset the extra computational work needed to decide what all those extra pixels show.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the iPad 5 with an IGZO screen allowing the device to slim down to the Mini thickness. It may also follow with smaller bezels?

The current iPad Mini has the same PPI as the original iPhone. I believe that was intentional as it allows the reuse of existing resources. Pixel doubling will have the same effect as it did on the iPhone, so it will have the retina iPhone pixel density and the same reuse benefits.

danielowenuk

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
Not even got my mini's yet (ordered 8 minutes into pre-order) and already it's out of date. :)

In all seriousness though, what's the cost of a retina style device if the current mini's are so far away from devices like the Nexus 7.

Traisoon

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
I just cancel the iPad mini order! I don't mind to wait for the retina screen. Thank you for the news!

Steveo13

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
South Carolina
Next Year:

iPad Mini with Retina: $349
iPad Mini (1st generation): $249

I don't think they would raise their price, they almost never raise the price for new features, only lower it. In some cases they don't lower it they keep it the same, like every new generation of iPad.

tomegun

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Las Vegas
Next Year:

iPad Mini with Retina: $349
iPad Mini (1st generation): $249

I think something like this will happen although I think the iPad Mini with Retina, A6 and 1GB of Ram will only be around $50 cheaper than the full size iPad.

For the people that think Apple will wait until next fall to release the next Mini, you must really believe the Apple TV is coming out in March/April. There is no way Apple is going to go a whole year without releasing a big product. Now that I think about it, the Apple TV doesn't even count since it will cost more than most people are willing to pay and you can't easily wait in line to pick one up.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
They leak it anyway because the general public doesnt follow this stuff and the Apple fans are going to buy it regardless.

No... as someone who has read every article posted on MacRumors and MacBytes* since 2004 (I didn't join the forums until a few years after,) I'm pretty certain I'm an Apple fan and to date I've only bought an iMac, a Magic Trackpad, an iPod, a MacBook Air, two iPhones, and some downloadable content... I definitely don't just buy whatever Apple releases, and I definitely don't buy every generation of the products I do buy...

Personally, I'm holding out for the iBookstore's textbook selection being fleshed out to cover at least a few of my university classes... plenty of the books are available for Kindle, but the eTextbook prices on Amazon are crazy. As soon as they're available on the iBookstore, I'll begin looking into the different iPad models to see which one will make the best eTextbook reader.

*I just realized that this wasn't simply shut down, but that the Mac Blog is considered its replacement. Really? I enjoyed MacBytes a good deal, it was full of interesting articles that often went quite in depth - the Mac Blog doesn't often have articles posted to it and they're never terribly detailed.

MacBytes >> Mac Blog

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
I really should return this thing and wait cause I KNOW a better one is coming. However I use it ALL the time and will miss it like crazy!

Isn't there always a better one eventually coming in 6-12 months?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.