Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

microcolt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Behind You
I just got my mini about an hour ago, yea UPS was late, but it seems I can't view any movies from my Home Shared iTunes library marked as "HD."

This isn't my first time using an iPad and the movies show up fine on my Apple TV, 3rd gen iPad and my iPhone 5 so what gives? There's no setting in the preferences and I can't think of anything else.

Did I miss something or does the iPad mini just not do HD?

Last edited:

microcolt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Behind You
Are you trying to do 1080p? I'd try 720.

Yes, 720p works so I'm incorrect about all HD content, but what doesn't make sense is the iPhone 5 (yes, retina, i know) is almost the same pixel size but can still play 1080p? That just doesn't make sense.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
It'll probably be resolved with iTunes 11. Hopefully they can push out that fix ahead of time though. Almost all of my content is 1080P.

----------

Interesting. iTunes movies that are in my library in HD won't show up at all when I do home sharing, not even on the list. TV Shows do, and they play.

All other HD video content plays just fine. Blu Ray rips etc., all show up and play just fine.

This has got to be an iTunes bug. Hopefully they fix it quick, along with the chaotic mess that home sharing TV shows on an iOS device has become.

microcolt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Behind You
It'll probably be resolved with iTunes 11. Hopefully they can push out that fix ahead of time though. Almost all of my content is 1080P.

----------

Interesting. iTunes movies that are in my library in HD won't show up at all when I do home sharing, not even on the list. TV Shows do, and they play.

All other HD video content plays just fine. Blu Ray rips etc., all show up and play just fine.

This has got to be an iTunes bug. Hopefully they fix it quick, along with the chaotic mess that home sharing TV shows on an iOS device has become.

Yea it seems like there is some bug that makes iTunes think that it cannot play it. However, the video works flawlessly on all my other iDevices. I have other movies that are ripped and marked as HD that work fine. iOS 6.1 doesn't seem to fix the problem either as of the current release. :(

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
You do realize that you won't notice a difference in 720 and 1080 unless you had a 1080 display...

microcolt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Behind You
You do realize that you won't notice a difference in 720 and 1080 unless you had a 1080 display...

The difference in the actual presented quality isn't what I'm worried about. It's the fact that I would now have to convert hundreds of movies to work on one specific device which would mean duplicating movies which drives me nuts.

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
A review said that the Mini cannot do HD videos because of the display.

"You can't play high-definition (HD) videos in full glory on the iPad mini, as the screen doesn't meet the 1,280 x 720-pixel resolution required. Instead, the movies you buy from iTunes and other similar services, are scaled to fall in between standard- and high-definition."
http://asia.cnet.com/the-ipad-mini-review-you-have-been-waiting-for-62219293.htm

That's why I'm glad I bought the iPad 4

jebbe

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Louisville, KY
Yes, 720p works so I'm incorrect about all HD content, but what doesn't make sense is the iPhone 5 (yes, retina, i know) is almost the same pixel size but can still play 1080p? That just doesn't make sense.

That has nothing to do with the screen resolution or size, that's a processor issue. 1080p takes quite a bit of power to play it smooth.

microcolt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Behind You
That has nothing to do with the screen resolution or size, that's a processor issue. 1080p takes quite a bit of power to play it smooth.

Well, I've got an update to add to that. I've upgraded to 6.1 and while I can't sync 1080p movies still I can now stream them from my iTunes library and it plays just fine. I also tried again on another iPad still on 6.0.1 to confirm and it cannot stream the content.

It seems like apple is deliberately blocking this for some reason.

steinegr

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
iPad mini definitly plays back 1080p videos encoded for the Apple TV 3.

I transfered a 8 GB 1080p movie (which I was not able to sync via iTunes) to my iPad mini (iOs 6.01) and it played perfectly - as you would expect from an iOs device with an A5 processor! It also played when saved in camera roll.

So, this looks like an arbitrary limitation. Apple has to fix that! I don't want to reencode my movies! :mad:

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
you wouldn't notice a difference between 720p and 1080p on a screen of that size

He already mentioned that wasn't the point. Fact is he would have to convert all his movies and have duplicates because works on other devices.

Find it a little silly that there is this restriction.
How are you guys transferring it to your iPad if you can't sync over iTunes?

omni

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Have you tried tagging the movie as 720 instead of 1080? Yes I know the movie is 1080 but actually changing the tag within the file (with subler or something similiar).

I know this solved some problem streaming 1080 movies to Apple TV before

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.